• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

50 Years of Slurpees

Toliver

Ten years ago Jason Perlow posted this dicussion "40 Years of Slurpees".

Time has flown and 7-Eleven is celebrating 50 Years of Slurpees today. On 7/11/16 (today) you can get a free Slurpee (albeit, a small one) from 11am to 7pm. Brain freeze to go! xD

Not much has changed with the Slurpees but now they do offer an app for true fans of the semi-frozen concoction (click and see the bottom of the short article).

Any takers? :cool:

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I remember years ago, maybe 7, they had this promotion.  My friend and I drove around in our neighborhood to all the 7-Elevens. We got a Slurpee at each one, maybe 5 of them. Boy, did we have brain freeze! We still laugh about it to this day.  We had a stack of cups in the car. 

• Like 2

I've never had a Slurpee and always meant to take advantage of the annual 7/11 freebie sometime.  

I'm away from home at the moment and the website tells me the nearest 7-Eleven is 143 miles away so alas, another 7/11 will pass without a Slurpee for me!

Maybe I will swing by Stewart's for some Adirondack Bear Paw ice cream instead.

• Like 1

Ahhh, the Slurpee.  My brother always takes my kids for them when we go visit.  As a former 7-11 Slurpee junkie kid from Detroit, I miss them sometimes- but not so much that I'd drive back and get one.  (One too many brain-freeze incidents.)

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Slurpees are okay, and I've had my share when I've been in reach of a 7-11. My favorite was the artificial cherry flavor. They really have a lot of air whipped in. There aren't any 7-11's left here, but the one that was here in '86, when I arrived, has been a post office, and I believe it's a dry cleaners now.

My most recent experience with a similar frozen drink slurry was over a decade ago. I used to stop occasionally in summer at a convenience store near the house for something I think they called a Slushie on the way home from work. It had much coarser ice crystals and no air. 

The store was almost at my house, so I might have a sip or two, but the purpose was to add a good glug of vodka to the mix and enjoy it in the A/C after work at home. It was a very good ending to the work day, especially if I'd had to skip lunch... again. :)

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

• 1 year later...

"The New 7-11 Slurpee Is Cap’n Crunch In Drink Form"

Move over Coca Cola. There's a new Slurpee (or should I say, Cap'n) in town. Now, when you have a hankering for sugary cereal and are feeling a lil' childhood nostalgia, you can head to 7-11 for Cap'n Crunch "Crunch Berries" in drink form. Instagram user JunkFoodMom posted a photo of the new Slurpee, which she says actually tastes like the cereal for the first few slurps "in a frozen, freaky way."

It sounds so bad it might be good....for a few sips.

Edited to add: 

Just a reminder that Free Slurpee Day is coming soon (7/11).

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 1 year later...

Free Slurpee day (7/11/19) is here once again (click). Enjoy!

Tim Oliver

I had an article come across my facebook today. It claimed that the Slurpee was invented in Kansas. I grew up in Kansas and the 7-11 closest to me sold Icee's . Two flavors, one rotated and the other was always coke. I'd never heard of a Slurpee growing up. 

• Like 3

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

• 11 months later...

Sad news...

"7-Eleven cancels Free Slurpee Day because of coronavirus, but will still give away free frozen drinks in July"

Add another event to the long list of coronavirus cancellations: 7-Eleven Day.

The nation’s largest convenience store chain has announced that it's canceling its in-store birthday celebration and Free Slurpee Day because of “the uncertainties associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Of course, you can still get a free frozen drink but you have to go to their web site and/or download their app and they will send you a coupon for a free one.

Sounds like a marketing gimmick, to me.:(

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

7-11 was for Slurpees. The snack stand at Little League was Icees. We banned the dads- ate too much product. What they did at the outdoor hot dog & burger grill - who knows. Those t-shirts did not hide the tummy roundness. 

• Haha 2