• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland, OR

Good morning, new friends!  I'm a Pacific Northwesterner by choice.  I moved here in '74 to be near the year-round fishing and hiking.  I continue to enjoy catching, preparing and serving chinook, coho, dungeness, ling, tuna and other finny critters.  I also enjoy foraging for chanterelles and morels.  I have a large vegetable garden to supplement my kitchen.  I do government work for a living, but the living I work for is largely food focused.  In addition to my own kitchen, I am surrounded by amazing restaurants, micro distilleries, micro breweries, bakeries, cart pods and a community of creative culinary minds.  I love playing with my food!  I'm here to learn new things or better ways to play. 

• Like 1

Welcome!  You live in a wonderful place for food and drink!  

You wrote:

the living I work for is largely food focused. 

Do you mean your government job is related to food? If so, I'm sure a lot of us will be pleased to pepper you with questions about your work, the regulations, and so on...

...hmm...

...maybe you won't want such attention? :D

I look forward to learning some of your ways with fish and forage.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks!

My gvt job is completely unrelated to food. ;)  The most uncreative thing imaginable - auditing.

Fishing and foraging are all about time and place ... most fish are migratory, most fungi are seasonal ... time and location, then technique.

• Like 3