• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 8/18/2020 at 4:23 AM, dcarch said:

For me, the minimum diameter for a wok should be 14". barely big enough to stir fry for two.  Especially if it is flat bottom.

less than 14" it is just a deep skillet.

I prefer a 16" wok. 

dcarch

I just came across this.

The most common size for a domestic wok here is 35 cm - just under 14 inches. And they are commonly used to cook multiple dishes at one meal, for a lot more than two people.

5 hours ago, claussen said:

I'm looking at shifting over to carbon steel wok

The way to go. The vast majority of woks used in China on a daily basis are carbon steel. I wouldn't buy anything else.

liuzhou

liuzhou

For me, the minimum diameter for a wok should be 14". barely big enough to stir fry for two.  Especially if it is flat bottom.

I prefer a 16" wok. 

dcarch

I just came across this.

The most common size for a domestic wok is 35 cm - just under 14 inches. And they are commonly used to cook multiple dishes at one meal, for a lot more than two people.

2 hours ago, claussen said:

The way to go. The vast majority of woks used in China on a daily bsis are carbon steel. I wouldn't buy anything else.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I prefer a 16" wok. 

dcarch

I just came across this.

The most common size for a domestic wok is 35 cm - just under 14 inches. Andthey are commonly used to cook multiple dishes for a lot more than two people.

2 hours ago, claussen said:

The way to go. The vast majority of woks used in China on a daily bsis are carbon steel. I wouldn't buy anything else.