• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Notes about food in Portland

My wife and I visited Portland,OR for a few days, our 4th visit, all sadly brief. As I'm sure many know, Portland is filled with remarkable and varied restaurants. But coming from the Midwest, "land of meat and 'taters," as one friend put it, we continue to be impressed. Everything we had was good, but somethings were outstanding.

Top of the line, Higgins Restaurant and Bar. Its long time reputation for quality local food and fine service was obvious. The highlights for me were actually appetizers. I had octopus which was fresh from the port of Garibaldi, about 1 1/4 away. I'd never had really fresh octopus, and was delighted. Firm, but not at all rubbery, mild briney taste accompanied by expert seasonings, and a pile of fresh sauteed vegetables and beans cooked till just popping. The in house charcuterie board was copious and varied. Several terrines, 4 varieties of salami, several sausages. Other bites. Most notable for me was a pulled pork paté that had as much flavor in one bite as a whole PP sandwich. I was very happy with the Hair of the Dog beers I drank with the meal.

Had another meal from Pok Pok. As good as the last on a year ago, tho' we had ordered ahead for carry-out and they ran out of sticky rice just as we arrived. Had to wait nearly 20 minutes, which was tedious. I had the Yam Samun Phrai salad. The herbs and spices came separate in a small cup. A really remarkable blend. Would like to have had more time to visit other Thai places, which many are saying are just as good as Pok Pok.

Another fine carry out meal came from Me Mero Mole. My wife and I both got the smoked lamb in molé nero. We agreed it was the best lamb we had ever had. According to my son, who had spoken w. the owner, the meat is very slow smoked, started early in the morning for dinner service.

My daughter in law has something of a sweet tooth. We visited Pix Patisserie and enjoyed some of the most ridiculously rich and sweet deserts. Brought home a selection of macarons which every one got to fight over. Breakfast a few days later was a selection from Blue Star Donuts, which my DIL considered better than those from Voodoo. I have to admit we fought over those also.

One last bit. We traveled from Chicago to Portland via the Amtrak Empire Builder. The dining car fare has a good reputation, and we agreed with that. For anyone making the 2000+ mile trip, consider a sleeping compartment. Tho' the coach seats are spacious, and reasonably comfy, I could not really stretch out. With the traffic of people arriving and departing the coach throughout the night, we had very little sleep.

• Like 3