• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from the South of France

Hi my name is Chris. I'm a former professional chef living in a small town between Nimes and Montpellier in the South of France. I trained as a chef in Avignon in Provence at catering school and worked in gastronomic restaurants and private service for 7 years.

Now I teach English and professional culture to students at the Vatel school of hotels, restaurants and tourism in Nimes. And I still cook, of course, for my family - my wife Delphine and I have two daughters Scarlett  8 and Roxanne 6.

I wrote a book about my year at catering school called Eat Sleep Cook School! and keep up a blog of what happened afterwards at http://eatsleepcookschool.wordpress.com. 

I hope to be able to contribute here and learn a few things, particularly about baking sourdough bread which I think is going to be my next cooking project.

Cheers!

Chris

• Like 7

Chris Ward

http://eatsleepcookschool.wordpress.com

I wrote a book about learning to cook in the South of France: http://mybook.to/escs

Welcome to eGullet Chris.  Very much look forward to hearing more about your cooking experiences.

Edited to add really enjoying your blog.

Edited by DianaB (log)
  • Like 2

Welcome Chris.  Hope to see some of your cooking.  Over in the Pastry and Baking Forums you will find a tutorial on making sour dough.  I do not know how to include a link to it but just use the search engine for this site and you will find it easily.

• Like 1

• Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Glad to have you here, Chris, and look forward to hearing about your cooking. Afraid I can't help much on sourdough, but lots of people here can!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Chris Ward,

Welcome to eG, and like others here, I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures in food and the food culture where you live.

I found this older link on sourdough bread, and it's a little wonky, with some links broken and images missing, but still contains a lot of useful information.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <