• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 6)

liuzhou

15 minutes ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

@Anna N -- raw is ok, but not crisp-tender.  I'm also ready for that term to be eliminated from the English language, along with "healthy eating" (*gag*) and "foodie".

Wish I had some radishes, with butter and salt.

I was feeling just too lazy for the butter!   I am glad we are all different. I am with you on the healthy eating, agin you on foodie and crisp tender.   I interpret that last term as I see fit for each vegetable. Having grown up on 1940/50s British treatment of vegetables which managed to remove everything except the smell it is hard to get my head around most vegetables cooked past slightly crispy. But your meal looks very good and one day who knows....I just may dare. Viva eGullet.  

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's basically a vegetable braise.  Saute the vegetables over medium heat, then add tomatoes and reduce heat to low and cover.  The idea is to cook the vegetables in their own juices while adding a minimal amount of liquid so that they concentrate their flavor and retain their color.  Towards the end, you have the choice of reducing the liquid in the pot or not.  

The vegetables get added in a certain order.  I typically begin with a battuto of celery, carrot and onion cooked in olive oil with or without cured pork product (guanciale, pancetta, bacon, 'nduja, prosciutto or ham), then add hard vegetables (i.e., zucchini, chard stems, potatoes, cauliflower), then any beans (string beans, wax beans, Romano beans) and finally the tomatoes.  Sometimes pork gets replaced by olives and anchovies.  Sometimes lard instead of olive oil.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I was feeling just too lazy for the butter!   I am glad we are all different. I am with you on the healthy eating, agin you on foodie and crisp tender.   I interpret that last term as I see fit for each vegetable. Having grown up on 1940/50s British treatment of vegetables which managed to remove everything except the smell it is hard to get my head around most vegetables cooked past slightly crispy. But your meal looks very good and one day who knows....I just may dare. Viva eGullet.  

Anna, I agree with you on the concept of "crisp tender" but there must be a better expression for it.  My dinner was my favored thirty second green beans, accompanied by a baked potato (as analyzed in the Cuisinart Steam Oven thread), and a pan seared rib lamb chop.

The lamb chop was interesting because I managed to achieve a lovely crust and rare meat with little or no transition.  Unfortunately I was aiming for more like a medium rare result.  I ate it anyway.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Instead of totally raw vegetables, I'll cut up carrots, celery, radishes and salt them for a few hours, then drain.

Keep 'em in the fridge, and they're good for a snack.  Not raw, not cooked, but slightly pickled. 

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Saffron rice pilaf with pine nuts.  Added andouille  sausage from Goose the Market mail order, and threw in some peas to add some color. Also had a tomato salad because this time of year I eat  them on a daily basis in one form or another.  No photos because I don't do food pictures well.

@huiray Thanks you for the reccomendation and I will order more items from Goose the Market when the weather gets cooler.  It took them two tries to get the sausages to me.  The first attempt was a striking demostration of what happens to sausages after two days in a UPS truck in the middle of an "excessive heat warning" period.

I must question the sanity of a person who buys sausages in the middle of July because, I have the bockwurst, I have the red cabbage, I have the potatoes for the warm potatoe salad, and I also have an un-airconditioned kitchen which is a heat sink even in the middle of winter.  I'll be baking a chicken thigh and steaming broccoli this evening, and by the time I'm done the kitchen will be pushing 90 degrees and the adjoining dining area in the 80's.

I have a fantasy where I recline in my recliner with cold frosty drinks at hand and at regular intervals handmaidens come by with trays of cheese, cold cuts. fruit, meat on skewers, etc.  Maybe a chamber music quartet nearby playing Haydn  string quartets while pleasant  light breezes waft over me.  Reality in So. Jersey in July & August in an unairconditioned house sucks.

Edited by Arey (log)
  • Like 9

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Chicken congee. I made this with leftover stock from my Hainanese chicken rice, some leftover rice, shredded chicken and some raw rice, and simmered it for a couple of hours. Topped with fried shallots, diced spring onions and chopped coriander. My first attempt at congee, and definitely not the last. 

image.jpeg

• Like 11

@sartoric

Until I actually tried congee I almost needed two Gravol to even think about. Now I'm actually craving it after seeing yours. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Captain said:

Did you use Pandan leaves? and if so where did you get them?

ps: nice Congee :)

Nah, I left them out. Often think of picking a few pandanus leaves when I'm at the beach.

I wonder if that would work....:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

@sartoric

Until I actually tried congee I almost needed two Gravol to even think about. Now I'm actually craving it after seeing yours. 

Ha ha, I had to google Gravol. I was similarly averse until I tried it. 

• Like 1

20 minute fish curry from Made in India.  It took longer than 20 minutes to do all of the chopping, slicing, cooking etc.  The flavors were nice though. The fish was hake from my fish share.

20 minute fish curry.jpg

• Like 12

So my husband saw me coming in from the garden and said "I guess we are having zucchini every night this week." And I thought "OK". So my challenge for this week is to serve zucchini is some form every night without getting boring. (Note : "This week" means Monday through Thursday. There is a rule i our house that no one cooks on Friday. We go out or get take out.)

Tonight:  Corn, zucchini, and sweet onion sauté  and bierocks. I had never heard of bierocks until @Shelby posted about them last fall. Something recently reminded me of them and I googled them and decided, ok, lets try this.. What I produced may be considered a travesty. The recipes I found gave only salt and pepper as seasoning for the filling. (Why didn't I pm Shelby? I don't know.) And I found that very bland. So I messed around and added  ( to the ground beef, onions, cabbage, cayenne and garlic) some vinegar, raisins and cinnamon. (I was thinking of a cabbage recipe from  Mark Biittman).  I think that helped.  The final result was still a bit bland for my taste.

The corn and zucchini sauté was excellent.

DSC01443.jpg

• Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Congee = extreme Risotto.

dcarch

• Like 2

Cheeseburgers pangrilled with onions on pan toasted purchased French bread. American for him, muenster for me. These five ounce med rare ground chuck burgers were so huge, neither of us managed more than half with the sides. These were maduros made from one plantain, tater tots and fries. I had a small amount of each in the freezer.

Husband claimed the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

• Like 10

> ^ . . ^ <

Chicken thighs and red potatoes from the Cuisinart CSO-300N, spinach...

CSO07262016.png

Unlike last night when I left potato on the plate.

• Like 11

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Prawn and tomato curry from BBC Good Food pressure cooker cookbook, cooked in the Instant Pot. Served with Madhur Jaffrey's pea and coriander curry and home made paratha, one of my favourite Indian breads. Plus some home made mango chutney from the pub down the road, as you do.

I need to diversify my chillis in my stockcupboard, I could only find a few dried ones of unknown heat, and even the smallest was too hot really. Still tasty though.

IMG_7124 (640x480).jpg

• Like 11