• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 6)

liuzhou

Sunday dinner was Gordon Ramsay's pork belly cooked in the AGA, although I managed to forget the star anise and the garlic because I was doing it from memory. It really does need the time to cook and it had a little longer without fussing. I loved the caramelised fennel. The crackling was consumed as a pre dinner snack with a G and T. Green peas and carrots from the garden, Yorkshire, roast potatoes and cauliflower cheese. I'd used a Chilean Chardonnay in the pan (it needs a lot of liquid) so we had Shaw and Smith's M3 Chardonnay to accompany. Decent pairing.

https://www.gordonramsay.com/gr/recipes/slow-roasted-pork-belly/

IMG_7126 (640x480) (640x480).jpg

• Like 10

laziji.jpg

Sichuan 辣子鸡 (là zi jī) or chicken with chillies (lots) and Sichuan peppercorns. I love this dish, but seldom prepare it, myself. It is simple enough, but it takes ages to prepare the chillies. Each one has to snipped in half, then the seeds should be encouraged to leave home. Some are reluctant.

Anyway, today I had free time and was watching  a movie while snipping away at my Facing Heaven Chillies.

Served with rice and there was a side of stir fried green stuff.

Followed by some fresh longan - 龙眼 (lóng yǎn) or dragon eyes.

longan.jpg

longan2.jpg

[Hosts' note:  This topic forms part of an extended discussion which has grown too large for our servers to handle efficiently.  The conversation continues here.]

Edited by lesliec
Added hosts' note (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto