• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 6)

liuzhou

We had ribs done in the Instant Pot, fresh corn, and Caesar potato salad.  For the potato salad, I did the potatoes in the IP à la Rotuts, for 7 minutes steam,  high pressure, natural release for 10.  When I first took them out I thought they looked "wet" (I usually cook them on the stove and after draining, "dry" them on the burner).  However, once cool they were fine, excellent in fact.  

20160720_193826.jpg

• Like 12

@scubadoo97

My salmon was perfectly satisfactory this evening but I look at yours and must restrain myself from licking my monitor.   Could you elaborate on the broth? 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, sartoric said:

I like the look of those meatballs, could you elaborate please Norm ?

These are the ingredients.  Mix the bread and milk and set aside. Cook the onions and a table spoon of butter until softened. Mix all ingredients together for a couple minutes in a stand mixer.  Form meatballs with a 1 tablespoon disher. Brown them in a skillet with a  two tablespoons of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil.  After they were browned on two sides, I put them in a dish and covered them with foil and put them in a Breville warming oven for a couple of hours at 120º.  When I was ready to serve, I made a sauce  with the pan drippings and the flour and cooked until  the flour was browned somewhat. I added the broth and heated until thickened enough, then added the cream and poured over the meatballs.  If you don't want to wait so long for the meatballs, you can brown them until cooked through, then keep warm in an oven while you make the gravy.

2 slices fresh white bread cut or torn into pieces

1/4 cup milk

3 tablespoons clarified butter, divided

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

A pinch plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt

3/4 pound ground chuck

3/4 pound ground pork

2 large egg yolks

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

3 cups beef broth

1/4 cup heavy cream

• Like 5

Peanuts and an adult beverage.

The landlord said the water would be working by noon, and it is coming up on midnight.  I may go with a few of my fresh plucked tomatoes, some cheese, salami, and Hellman's.

In truth the water came back on late tonight but as yet none of it is close to warm.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A take on fish and chips, with peas: breaded cod filet (frozen, breaded, from Schwans; I was underwhelmed and won't order again); new potatoes, halved, tossed in olive oil, salted, CSO for 40 minutes, followed by steam-baked cod for 10. Cole slaw (not my usual jail slaw, though I used the rest of the head of cabbage for a batch of that) and English pea salad, which should have had chopped bacon except I forgot to cook any.

dinner 0721a.jpg

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On July 20, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Ashen said:

Sorry she wasn't able to find the recipe.   There are a few peach habanero sauce recipes on google though, that look like they would be just as nice, if you are still looking to try it. 

Well thank her for looking for it.  I have, in the mean time, been searching on line for a suitable recipe.

FTDBLT's (First Tomato Day Bacon Lettuce and Tomato) tonight on warm, homemade, bread. When I saw Deb tuck into the third half sandwich, I knew it was a winner! Once again, we never made it to the potato salad.

HC

IMG_1416.JPG

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

@scubadoo97

My salmon was perfectly satisfactory this evening but I look at yours and must restrain myself from licking my monitor.   Could you elaborate on the broth? 

Thanks Anna. 

It started out from stock I made from fish carcasses, shrimp shells and aromatics that I had in the freezer.   To flavor it further I added lemongrass and let it simmer a while.  My wife was running late so I had to keep adding water as it simmered.  

Just before serving I added gojuchang then thin sliced carrots, shallots and celery and pulled the lemongrass out.  Then added green onion, the noodles ( they cook so fast) and the fish.  The fish was also smeared with the gojuchang before searing 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

These are the ingredients.  Mix the bread and milk and set aside. Cook the onions and a table spoon of butter until softened. Mix all ingredients together for a couple minutes in a stand mixer.  Form meatballs with a 1 tablespoon disher. Brown them in a skillet with a  two tablespoons of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil.  After they were browned on two sides, I put them in a dish and covered them with foil and put them in a Breville warming oven for a couple of hours at 120º.  When I was ready to serve, I made a sauce  with the pan drippings and the flour and cooked until  the flour was browned somewhat. I added the broth and heated until thickened enough, then added the cream and poured over the meatballs.  If you don't want to wait so long for the meatballs, you can brown them until cooked through, then keep warm in an oven while you make the gravy.

2 slices fresh white bread cut or torn into pieces

1/4 cup milk

3 tablespoons clarified butter, divided

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

A pinch plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt

3/4 pound ground chuck

3/4 pound ground pork

2 large egg yolks

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

3 cups beef broth

1/4 cup heavy cream

• Like 1

We split a roasted Cornish game hen tonight. I poured Kraft original BBQ sauce into little glass bowls and let that heat up on my poorly insulated metal stove top while the chicken roasted. Sometimes I crave this, I guess from childhood renditions of oven BBQ chicken.

I served it with long grain rice cooked in chicken broth with saffron. For the spinach side, I sauteed about 1/3 c minced white onion in butter, added 12 oz frozen spinach, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, dill, garlic powder, and a little nutmeg. When that was thawed and hot, I cracked in a couple eggs and scrambled them in, and when they were getting set, I sprinkled with grated parm and a couple slices of muenster torn into bits. I stirred it just a bit to help the heat distribution and plated. I put a few cherries on the plates for added color.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

5 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Thanks Anna. 

It started out from stock I made from fish carcasses, shrimp shells and aromatics that I had in the freezer.   To flavor it further I added lemongrass and let it simmer a while.  My wife was running late so I had to keep adding water as it simmered.  

Just before serving I added gojuchang then thin sliced carrots, shallots and celery and pulled the lemongrass out.  Then added green onion, the noodles ( they cook so fast) and the fish.  The fish was also smeared with the gojuchang before searing 

Damn!  I looked at my gojuchang as I was deciding what to do with my salmon in terms of a glaze and said "nah it would never work".  Should have followed my first instinct. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Take away hummus, from my favorite place, and my favorite pita breads. With fava beans, chickpeas and zchug. Also plenty of cumin.
20160717_112727.jpg

Hummus is best eaten as an early dinner, which is fine, as the usual time for dinner here in Israel is around noon.

It's also interesting to note, that every hummus has an ideal serving temperature, some are best served at room temp and other should be served very warm. I find it quite remarkable how much the flavor is effected by it.

• Like 11

~ Shai N.

I've been craving hummus, shain, and yours looks so good.

Robirdstix, your pasta looks great.

Norm!  Thanks for the meatball recipe.  I've been wanting to make venison stroganoff but I may switch to venison swedish meatballs after seeing your dish!

Elsie, ribs in the IP are now on the list for this weekend.  They look sooooo gooooood.

I was too hot to cook much last night.  If I was smart I'd make something this morning for tonight, but I've never been accused of being that smart lol.

Sandwiches again.  Homemade buns.  Onions and banana peppers from the garden.  Good stuff.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 17

I'd be very happy with a sandwich like that for dinner!

Forgot, again, to take pics of dinner.  Smoked chicken legs, rosemary/sherry vinegar marinated peaches, Ottolenghi peas, sorrel and green onion side and Instapot steamed garden potatoes.  We bought a new digital Bradley Smoker to replace our old original model.  The new one is like the Instapot, load it up and walk away.  I will be doing more meat in there this summer which by the way looks like it is finally arriving in these parts.  Unseasonably wet and cool.  Should be low 30's with sun.

• Like 5

Grilled Tri-Tip with Chimichurri Sauce.  I went overboard on the garlic and red wine vinegar in the chimichurri, but it's always a wonderful condiment to grilled meats in the summer.  This was my first try at cooking a tri-tip over charcoal.  It weighed almost 4lbs. and took about 40 minutes to get to medium-rare. 

IMG_0879.JPG

• Like 19

A simple BBQ chook.  Brine for nearly 24hrs.  Dry uncovered in the fridge for 8hrs.  S&P and a little Paprika. Cooked indirectly then finish over the coals for a bit of char.      Sensational.

WP_20160720_20_07_37_Pro (2).jpg 

• Like 10