• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 6)

liuzhou

IMGP6038.JPGIMGP6042.JPG

Our CSA farm box program is fun and always a bit challenging because there is always last-minute stuff to use up. Tonight's dinner was a tart/galette type thing (frozen puff pastry so don't want to give it too much pompousness, ha). Some onions with lots of greens on them, summer squash and tomatoes and garlic. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 17

51 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Our CSA farm box program is fun and always a bit challenging because there is always last-minute stuff to use up. Tonight's dinner was a tart/galette type thing (frozen puff pastry so don't want to give it too much pompousness, ha). Some onions with lots of greens on them, summer squash and tomatoes and garlic. 

That looks good, FauxPas, but no cheese?! :(

Oh, wait a minute... wait just a minute. I think I see some cheese on there. What kind?

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

There was a bit of cheese on the pastry crust. I used a mix of ricotta, parm and mozza, but not a lot, just a very thin coating. 

But you are on to me, I do love cheese!!!!  :) 

I also infused some olive oil (1 Tbsp) with some fresh garlic and spread that over the top. 

• Like 4

We had tacos last night, too, but I had mine in a bowl. Crushed corn tortilla chips and shredded pepper jack cheese went in the bowl first, followed by the taco meat with homemade taco sauce, avocado salsa, and more shredded cheese.

image.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 17

Soup.

DSCN0258a_600.jpg

Pork meatballs (ground pork, sweet Italian ground mix, finely chopped scallions, sea salt, ground white pepper), chicken broth, watercress wilted in towards the end.

Chee cheong fun.

DSCN0253b_600.jpg

Steamed rice noodle rolls (豬腸粉) [ 李牌 / Lee's Noodle] with a sauce mix** poured over halfway through steaming, plus sesame seeds; plated on oak leaf lettuce heart leaves; dressed w/ sliced scallions & coriander leaves.

** "Luscious Soy Sauce" [LKK], oyster sauce [LKK], Shaohsing wine, water, sesame oil, white pepper, hoisin sauce [LKK].

ETA: Correction - this is made by Kim Lan, not LKK; and the description in English they use nowadays is "Luscious Soy Paste". When I first started buying this a few years ago they called it "Luscious Soy Sauce" and that stuck in my head.

The name for this commonly-found foodstuff literally means "pig intestine noodle/powder/plaster" character-by-character. See the additional commentary here for more.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 14

Another sunstroke hot day. Late dinner.

333.jpg

Chicken thighs with garlic, shallots, lemon zest and juice, black olives, chilli from the balcony. New potatoes. Asparagus.

Following the Chinese pattern of never serving even numbers (and certainly not four) there are three of each. 3 thighs, 3 spuds, 3 spears.

Followed by fruit as featured here.

fruit.jpg

Lychees, oranges, pomegranates, a grapefruit and a bunch of chicken skin fruit.

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, huiray said:

Soup.

DSCN0258a_600.jpg

Pork meatballs (ground pork, sweet Italian ground mix, finely chopped scallions, sea salt, ground white pepper), chicken broth, watercress wilted in towards the end.

Chee cheong fun.

DSCN0253b_600.jpg

Steamed rice noodle rolls (豬腸粉) [ 李牌 / Lee's Noodle] with a sauce mix** poured over halfway through steaming, plus sesame seeds; plated on oak leaf lettuce heart leaves; dressed w/ sliced scallions & coriander leaves.

** "Luscious Soy Sauce" [LKK], oyster sauce [LKK], Shaohsing wine, water, sesame oil, white pepper, hoisin sauce [LKK].

The name for this commonly-found foodstuff literally means "pig intestine noodle/powder/plaster" character-by-character. See the additional commentary here for more.

What is luscious soy sauce as compared to soy sauce?

33 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

It is what happens when the marketing guys try to re-brand ordinary soy sauce and add a load of crap no one needs or wants. I'd argue that it isn't even really soy sauce at all.

I'm somewhat surprised it is listed as being by Li Kum Kee. Their website doesn't mention it as part of their range, that I can see. The only so-called "Luscious Soy Sauce" I am aware of is the Wei Chuan brand.

Ingredients: Water, Soybean (18%), Wheat, Salt, Sugar, Alcohol, Chlorella, Flavour Enhancer (E621, E626, E631).

E621 is MSG, 626 is Guanylic Acid and 631 is Disodium Inosinate. Chlorella is a type of algae.

Happily, I've never come across this so-called "soy sauce" here in China.

I'd stick with the regular stuff.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 hours ago, ElsieD said:

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

It is what happens when the marketing guys try to re-brand ordinary soy sauce and add a load of crap no one needs or wants. I'd argue that it isn't even really soy sauce at all.

I'm somewhat surprised it is listed as being by Li Kum Kee. Their website doesn't mention it as part of their range, that I can see. The only so-called "Luscious Soy Sauce" I am aware of is the Wei Chuan brand.

Ingredients: Water, Soybean (18%), Wheat, Salt, Sugar, Alcohol, Chlorella, Flavour Enhancer (E621, E626, E631).

E621 is MSG, 626 is Guanylic Acid and 631 is Disodium Inosinate. Chlorella is a type of algae.

Happily, I've never come across this so-called "soy sauce" here in China.

I'd stick with the regular stuff.

Oops, sorry, this is put out by Kim Lan, not LKK.  ETA: I have added in a correction to the original post.

This one (金蘭 甘醇油膏).  Image set.  

Well, to each his or her own. I'll happily use what I like, you use what you like. Nowadays I try to avoid telling people what they should or should not eat. I list stuff that I use, but that's it - simply what I used.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 5

Stuffed zucchini - the stuffing is sausage, fresh corn, tomatoes, onions, chopped zucchini and breadcrumbs. Topped with fontina. One of the best uses for larger-than-ideal zucchini.

With salad.

DSC01405.jpg

• Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

5 minutes ago, ninagluck said:

I did not make corn fritters for a while, this should change! Jalapenos in the batter and lime in the sour cream

Corn fritters are SO on my radar. And yours look fabulous. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lamb chops with some lamb jus sauce; green beans in anchovy, garlic, lemon and oil dressing, gooseberry chutney on the side and Happy in the Kitchen Pea/Basil/Potato puree with a hunk of butter melting in the well.  We didn't really care for the puree and we tend to like our good free range meat just cooked with salt and pepper so the taste of the meat can be enjoyed so the sauce got a thumbs down.

DSC01493.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, ninagluck said:
2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Anna, I could not stop eating ;-)

I saw a recipe for smoky shrimp and corn fritters which I bookmarked.   Have the shrimp need to get the corn!  

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Knackwurst (from the Aldi trip), sliced diagonally and fried, with a squirt of honey mustard on the side; homemade kraut, fresh from the jar in the fridge; fried potatoes with onions; Rancho Gordo vaquero beans cooked simply with onion, garlic, and a sprinkle of steak seasoning rub.

dinner 0719.jpg

With a glass of pinot grigio. Simple, homey and it hit the spot.

• Like 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com