• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 6)

liuzhou

Cantonese-style Yeung Chow-type fried rice chez huiray.

DSCN0211a_600.jpg

Couple of farm-fresh eggs beaten w/ a little water, some oil, and a few grinds of white pepper; then fried in a very hot pan w/ generous oil. The bubbly lightly browned (on purpose) omelette was turned over for maybe 15-20 secs then removed to a plate while not completely set yet (somewhere between 1 and 2 minutes total frying time) and sliced up into strips. 

Medium-hot oil, chopped smashed garlic, Chinese long beans cut into ~ 1½ inch lengths, roughly diced char-siu (Cantonese barbeque pork), kosher salt, stir around, splash some water on and cover for a minute, high flame; cover taken off, day-old rice added, everything stirred around on high flame. Everything was pushed to the sides and a well created in the center, some oil poured in, de-shelled de-veined "big head red shrimp" (see previous post) cut into bite-sized pieces added and stir-fried quickly (about 20-30 seconds then the rice & everything else folded over and stirred in well. Chopped scallions (lots) went in, stirred/folded in; then the reserved egg strips went in, folded in, the cover put on and the flame shut off after 30 secs or so. The cover was left on for about a minute or so, then taken off and everything tossed/folded/stirred around. Served.

About half of the fried rice was plated as shown. Eat.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 15

Excellent dinners, everyone. @huiray, I am particularly entranced by your fried rice, as I love fried rice. May be on my agenda soon.

I have had takeout for two nights (pizza last night, Chinese tonight), as I have deep-cleaned the kitchen and couldn't bear to dirty it. That will change tomorrow, as I am freezing corn.

And baking bread, as the CSO arrives tomorrow, allegedly.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Steelhead trout smoked on the grill with  beet/horseradish salad (an attempt to duplicate a dish we had recently at Dano's on Seneca - but I had only golden beets ready in the garden) boiled potatoes, salad ( lettuce and other greens, radish and fennel from the garden - nothing else ready yet)  and the very small amount of beet greens from the beets that went into the salad. No way we were throwing them out.

DSC01409.jpg

• Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Oven broiled pork chops seasoned with Adobo, cayenne, another milder chili powder, cumin, sage and black pepper and allowed to hang out in the fridge for an hour before cooking. Boiled baby lima beans, maduros and buttered slices of cinnamon raisin swirl bread from Pepperidge Farm.

The maduros were my first attempt, though I've made tostones before. The maduros came out just as well as the restaurants' where I've had them and were easy and quick to make once the plantains had come to the proper stage of ripeness. I have added a new to me, tasty and easy side dish to my repertoire.

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

maple smoked boneless Thighs.     brushed some with a peach habanero  bbq at the end and served with ceasar salad. 

08muNa4.jpg

• Like 21

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Oven broiled pork chops seasoned with Adobo, cayenne, another milder chili powder, cumin, sage and black pepper and allowed to hang out in the fridge for an hour before cooking. Boiled baby lima beans, maduros and buttered slices of cinnamon raisin swirl bread from Pepperidge Farm.

The maduros were my first attempt, though I've made tostones before. The maduros came out just as well as the restaurants' where I've had them and were easy and quick to make once the plantains had come to the proper stage of ripeness. I have added a new to me, tasty and easy side dish to my repertoire.

I learnt something new - thanks to you & google. I see plantains sometimes, and will try this. :)

• Like 1

Fagioli e Tonno, from The Romagnolis' Table, p224.  Exquisite made with canned cannellini beans and Progresso tuna that the local excuse for a market no longer deigns to stock.

Now imagine Fagioli e Tonno made with Rancho Gordo Marcella beans and Callipo Italian tuna.  Good bread and much Soave.

• Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Yesterday for family meal I made two bowl recipes that appeared in the latest issue of Fine Cooking Magazine.  The tuscan bowl (grilled chicken, roasted broccolini, escarole, tomatoes, farro, crispy garlic chips, pesto, balsamic glaze)

tuscan bowl.jpg

and the sushi bowl (seared rare tuna, edamame, blanched baby bok choy, rice, black sesame seeds, wakame, pickled ginger, mirin drizzle).  

sushi bowl.jpg

• Like 22

LiamsAunt, I'll take a sushi bowl please :)

Chris, OH fried green tomatoes.  One of my favorites.

Lovely ribs, Steve

Homemade ranch with onions and dukes from the garden

photo 1.JPG

Made a double batch of @cyalexa 's buns.  That recipe has never failed me.  We think they are the best buns ever.  I was hungry for a roast beef sandwich--with cheap deli meat from the grocery store.  Don't judge lol.  I sautéed banana peppers and onions from the garden and slathered on Cheese Whiz.  Yup.  Twas good.  Toasted the buns in the steam oven and then wrapped the sandwiches in foil and heated them up in there, too.  Love that steam oven.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 16

A small amount of roasted chicken breast to use up so chopped it up and added it to some minced red onion, chopped walnuts, chopped dried cranberries, celery salt, a little bit of coleslaw dressing and some Cain's mayo.  Roll up in a lightly heated whole wheat tortilla.

• Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

@Shelby

""  cheap deli meat from the grocery store ""

once SV becomes second nature, when on sale, certain beef cuts, turkey breast  Chicken Breast,  Corned Beef  etc

in bulk , then Fz in the bag

become  far better ' deli-meat ' even cheaper.

you do need a plan on cutting the Hunks up  very thin , deli style

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Ashen said:

maple smoked boneless Thighs.     brushed some with a peach habanero  bbq at the end and served with ceasar salad. 

08muNa4.jpg

Peach Habenaro BBq?  I have some extra peaches and was thinking of making some kind of bbq sauce/gaze with it.  Do you have a recipe for your? 

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Peach Habenaro BBq?  I have some extra peaches and was thinking of making some kind of bbq sauce/gaze with it.  Do you have a recipe for your? 

My wife made it last year and  I  have asked if she still has the recipe.   She has to check her recipes.   Will pass it  along if she finds it. 

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow