• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 6)

liuzhou

@Shelby  

here are some pictures :

t-bone vs porterhouse

the porterhouse is just cut where the filet is larger, and the t-bone where the filet is smaller.

one of AltonBrown's Good Eat's shows was on the PorterHouse. worth a look if you can find it 

try here :

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/good-eats/14-series/porterhouse-rules.html

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby  

here are some pictures :

t-bone vs porterhouse

the porterhouse is just cut where the filet is larger, and the t-bone where the filet is smaller.

I see.  Thanks!  I like the porterhouse cut better :) 

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I see.  Thanks!  I like the porterhouse cut better :) 

When my husband was still alive this was the steak of choice. He loved the tenderloin side I love the much chewier (and tastier!) other side.  A perfect match.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

when I was little, my parents BBQ's  porterhouse steaks on a back yard grill, eating outside etc.

I gave away the filet part to my mother, it was much too mushy for me.  actually i traded it for a similar hunk of the NYStip part from her.

thus i became a Gourmand-in-self-training,

" Your eyes are bigger than your stomach " my mother sometimes would say.

• Like 4

Ha, that's the same line I used to get from my Nana when she would take me to Clifton's Cafeteria in Los Angeles.  I wanted to point to every single item and she had to put the brakes on me.  Fun times.  I'm easy to please, just give me the entire steak and stand back.

• Like 4

07-13-16.jpg

Odeon"s crab cakes. Oven Fries from the EverydayFood Magazine and fennel salad.  Odeon was a restaurant in Philadelphia on 12th St. and many years ago a Phila. Inquirer columnist, Rick Nichols, provided the recipe in a column.  I get 4 crab cakes out of a pound of jumbo lump crab meat (the fish monger gave me $7.00 bucks off for being a loyal customer)  Normally I like the cakes  plumper and rounder but it was to hot to mess.  That's the same reason the fennel salad didn't have any capers or kalamata olives in it. The recipe is below.That's Heinz Original Cocktail sauce in the small dish next to the wine glass

1              pound  Jumbo Lump Crabmeat -- picked over for cartilage

3/4           cup     fresh bread crumbs (I use Progresso plain breadrumbs)

1/4           cup     parsley -- finely chopped (I haven't gotten around to planting my parsley yet this year)

1             cup     scallions -- finely sliced (I only add as many scallions as I feel like slicing)

1/2           cup     Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute (or 2 large eggs)

1/4           cup     2% milk

cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste

1           teaspoon  Worcestershire sauce

2        tablespoons  oil

Combine the crab meat with the parsley, scallions, and bread crumbs.

mix the eggs, milk, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper

Pour over the crab mixture and blend gently
Saute until lightly golden brown, 3 minutes or so
If the crab meat is nice and fresh and sweet I don't think it really needs much in the way of additions, but it does need something to hold it together and these crab cakes tend to be rather loose.

Observations: Doing crossword puzzles while eating is detrimental to your table manners, and  looking at the crossword puzzle while trying to dip the oven fry in the cocktail sauce can result in untidiness.
Being strictly limited by a doctor to having no more than 8 oz. of wine with dinner will greatly improve one's ability to fill an 8 oz. wine glass to the brim and then drink it without spilling a single drop. 

Edited by Arey (log)
  • Like 14

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

From my mother -- Strunk be dammed -- "Your eyes are bigger than your tummy!"

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

when I was little, my parents BBQ's  porterhouse steaks on a back yard grill, eating outside etc.

I gave away the filet part to my mother, it was much too mushy for me.  actually i traded it for a similar hunk of the NYStip part from her.

thus i became a Gourmand-in-self-training,

That is why I like a wing steak,( I think they are called Club steaks in the USA)   basically a T bone with little to no  fillet side , it is cut from the front of the short loin just back from where it joins the rib primal.  Being just after the rib primal, it generally  has  more marbling  than a T-bone or Porterhouse cut from the middle or back end of the shortloin. 

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

sartoric - on the yucca question - the yucca in your yard is most likely the succulent plant with the green upward facing agave like leaves and tall white bloom spikes. The referenced fries are from the starchytuber of a different plant aka cassava

• Like 3

1 hour ago, heidih said:

sartoric - on the yucca question - the yucca in your yard is most likely the succulent plant with the green upward facing agave like leaves and tall white bloom spikes. The referenced fries are from the starchytuber of a different plant aka cassava

Thank you, you're right, they are the ornamental ones in my yard. 

Sautéed green beans.

DSCN0156b_500.jpg

Chanterelles w/ pasta.

DSCN0162a_600.jpg

Charentes-Poitou butter, trimmed chanterelles, trimmed asparagus, salt, just-cooked wet Cipriani tagliarelle, chopped parsley.

The tagliarelle.

DSCN0154a_500.jpg

• Like 13

Charlie is working late, then has errands and plans to eat out so I ate alone... well if you don't count Java.  She has good table manners most of the time. Biggs doesn't care. He never does.

I had Spaghetti Carbonara with added roasted asparagus and mushrooms and some sourdough French bread.

DSCN3636.jpg

DSCN3640.jpg

DSCN3642.jpg

• Like 18

Here's a couple of recent meals that deviated from the summer norm.  The first dish was oysters & bacon in heavy cream.  The bacon  was rendered with vidalia onion, the excess fat drained off, and combined with heavy cream then reduced.  Added a pint of oysters and oyster sauce for a quick and easy supper.

rP1040853.jpg  

Supper last night was beef laap  or at least my in-the-spirit-of variant.  I started by finely mincing beef sirloin and briefly poaching in beef stock.  I drained the meat and added red onions, basil, mint, fish  sauce, lime juice, a little canola oil, and rooster spice blend from worldspice.  I added additional stock to produce a nice wet mix and served as a very refreshing summer salad.

rP1040859.jpg

• Like 10

Real hummus is a thing of beauty.  Heading to the beach to meet friends this weekend and the thought of Sabra hummus was more than I could handle. Cooked from dried using the cooking liquid to thin adds so much flavor. Lots of fresh pressed lemon juice 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 17

Pasta with shrimp, the last of the garlic scapes and garlic. And a salad.

DSC01398.jpg

• Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

We had another ice cold fruit salad for a starter tonight. I had strawberries, cherries, a banana and a nectarine that had been sitting on the plate on the counter with the tomatoes for several days. The nectarine had really gotten soft and sweet and almost as fragrant as tree-ripened stone fruit. I just about cannot get a peach around here that will even ripen on the counter. I tried a bamboo chopstick to pit the cherries that I read about on one of the kitchen tips threads here. I found the best way was to ream a starter hole on the bottom of the cherry with the pointed end of the chopstick, and push out the pit with the blunt of end the chopstick from the stem end of the cherry. I lost a bit of juice, but it was quicker and better than trying to dig out the pit with a knife. I always end up with a bunch of cherry bits with a knife. The chopstick treatment resulted in whole, if a little cracked cherries and surprisingly clean pits. So, it's a definite improvement. It's so hot and humid here many of our counties are under heat advisories in the afternoons. The chilly fruit salad was perfect for the day.

I had a craving for Shake 'N Bake oven-fried chicken. I bought the store brand because it was almost a dollar cheaper, and as with the name brand, you have to use both packets for a whole chicken, and even when you do, it doesn't look like the picture on the front of the box. I always add a little flour and chicken seasoning salt, ground cayenne, and black pepper. This was good and satisfied a craving for it for another year or so. It always kills me to pay that much for a coating mix that probably costs them less than a nickel to produce.

We also had sugar and butter corn, the first I have found this year and my favorite.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

Tonight's meal was reheated CSO baguette and reheated CSO chicken thigh, both as good as new, if not better.  O the chicken skin was crisp!  CSO rosemary balsamic roast red potato.  Salad of spring mix and my first tomato of the season:  Mountain Magic.  For a few years I grew Mountain Magic.  Then last year I grew Rutgers, supporting the local heirloom tomato agribusiness.

Rutgers is prolific and OK, but this little Mountain Magic hybrid was worth waiting eighteen months.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I picked up this still twitching, very fresh sea bass  this morning. Quite a small one, but then it's only for me.

seabass.jpg

After battling briefly, but decisively with the vendor to prevent her inappropriately preparing this fish in the only way she knows how - to steam it Cantonese style - I managed to escape with it intact and unmolested. Back home, later, I de-scaled it, cleaned it, filleted it, pin-boned it etc in a manner which would amaze aforementioned vendor. The head, spine, tail etc are in the freezer for something later.

fillets.jpg

After suitably seasoning the fish I pan fried it very briefly and served it with couscous and a mango/ lychee / red onion / mint / chilli salsa-ish medley.

dinner.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Chillied braised pork cheeks w/ daikon. 

DSCN0183a_600.jpg

Eaten w/ skinny wonton noodles & blanched choy sum.

Pork cheeks [Fischer Farms] (via Goose the Market), salted & black-peppered; browned in peanut oil & reserved. Pixian Doubanjiang sautéed/stir-fried in residual oil + a bit more, then scallions, ginger, aged soy sauce, Shaohsing wine added; followed by lightly-crushed black cardamom pods, water & gelatin-heavy chicken stock, hon-mirin. Simmered briefly. Pork cheeks added back in. Simmered several hours.

Along the way...

DSCN163-166-168-179_comb_600.jpg

Went to get daikon & other stuff [Asia Mart] and also dropped by an Indian place.

Interlude – potato & pea samosas [Namaste Plaza]. Yum.

DSCN0182a_600.jpg

Pork cheeks fished out & reserved, peeled daikon cut into rounds added in, more water added in plus more Shaohsing wine plus more freshly-bought scallions. Simmered for an hour plus. Pork cheeks went back in, simmered some more, maybe half-to-three-quarters of an hour more.

Close-up of one of the cheeks, in the assembled bowl of stuff, split open with a gentle push from a pair of chopsticks.

DSCN0191a_600.jpg

• Like 11

B and I went to Sam Wo, a so-called San Francisco institution whose claims to fame were one extremely rude waiter and crowd-pleasing food.

IMG_7178.JPG

IMG_7180.JPG

The restaurant closed a few years ago after having failed a DOH inspection and then reopened last year at a new location.

IMG_7168.JPG

Hong Kong-style iced milk tea

IMG_7175.JPG

Duck jook.  Was as average as you could imagine a bowl of porridge to be.

IMG_7170.JPG

Mongolian beef.  It was as unexciting as it looks.

IMG_7172.JPG

Chinese broccoli with oyster sauce.  The stems were tough but the leaves were not.  I'm learning to distrust any review written by Michael Bauer (restaurant critic of the SF Chronicle).

IMG_7176.JPG

Salt-and-pepper chicken wings.

This was billed as a "must-get" item, and while I don't know about that, it was easily the best thing we ate last night.

And now that we've been to Sam Wo, we don't ever have to go back again.  I suppose I could have posted this in the California subforum, but I thought I'd spare y'all the disservice of an entry.

Sam Wo

713 Clay Street (Kearny Street)

Chinatown

San Francisco

• Like 7

thank you for the post on SamWo.

Ive been there several time back in its hey day, and indeed had the rude waiter a few times.  you also had to walk through the kitchen to get to the eating area

and the restaurant i recall was very narrow.

Im sure a lot of the allure of the place was the type of ambiance it extolled.\

Im betting the food back in the day was no better than what you had.   

you just brought your on Zing !

thanks again for taking the time to post this.

P.S.:  it was also inexpensive back in the day.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2