• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 6)

liuzhou

Yesterday we made the short trip to our fish market and had them fry us up some fresh, local catfish. My husband only wanted a double order of tater tots, and I got okra and fried plantains as sides and tried one of their egg rolls. The okra and plantains, which were maduros rather then tostones, were winners. The egg roll was homemade and edible, but I won't order it again. People who want more pork than veggies would like them though. I also got an unusually tasty lemon there and a couple of tomatoes. I wish I had bought more of the lemons. They were homely-looking compared to the ones at the grocery store, but it has been quite a while since I has such a bright, tasty and juicy specimen. The tomatoes were quite acceptable, but from past experience will be better later in the season. Still, they are better than what's offered in the regular chain grocery.

Leftovers from last night's dinner tonight filled in with sides of baby green lima beans and tomato soup. I used a little cinnamon for the first time in the soup, and I think it really brought out the sweetness of the tomatoes, although I did not add enough to be distinguished from the basil, onion and garlic in there as well.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

Various meals.

--------------------------------

Soup.

DSCN9927a_600.jpg

Solidified High-gelatin chicken stock, water, oil, baby carrots [Silverthorn Farm], celery stems (de-stringed) & leaves, young Lion's Mane mushrooms [Shamrock Farm], vermicelli [Ziyad brand].

---------------------------------

Chinese take-out.

Hot & Sour Soup, with deep-fried wonton strips.

DSCN9929a_500.jpg

Quite good, actually. Lots of quality stuff in it; taste was pretty accurate, white pepper heat (correct, for this style of the soup), decently sour.

Pan-fried noodles w/ shrimp, beef, chicken.  By request, swapping out just "seafood" for the triple combo.

DSCN9935a_600.jpg

A bit on the salty side but otherwise fine.

---------------------------------

Baby kai-lan [Viet Hua] w/ oyster sauce.

DSCN9945b_500.jpg

Blanched in oiled simmering water, drained, dressed with oyster sauce [LKK] & white pepper.

Chicken w/ basil & eggplants.

DSCN9939b_600.jpg

Chicken leg quarters, chopped up, marinated w/ Shaohsing wine, hon-mirin [Takara], fish sauce, white & back pepper, some oil. Hot pan, hot oil, sliced garlic, the marinated chicken, sliced baby eggplants (Japanese/Chinese long-type, small ones; mottled purple-white, white, purple varieties) [Compean & Son]; the marinade, sweet basil (from my deck), seasoning adjusted.

Several bowls of white rice.

Cherries.

DSCN9917a_500.jpg

Edited by huiray
Added links & additional info. (log)
  • Like 12

A couple of recent meals.   Spanglish sandwich

BELT.jpg

Mushroom pizza

mushroom pizza.jpg

I am back out on the outer part of Cape Cod for the next week and am hoping to get some good local fish to cook for dinner.  It's striped bass season so that's what I am hoping to grill for the 4th.  I'll post about my restaurant meals in the New England dining thread.

• Like 21

Pizza for dinner!

My favourite base made yesterday, refrigerated overnight and allowed to rise for an hour after bringing to room temperature - rolled to about 1 to 2mm in thickness. Tomato paste with origanum and sweet basil and a touch of garlic. Topping is grated mozzarella, stir fried chicken (marinated in soy sauce and a touch of sugar for an hour), kalamata olives, onion (tenderised in a bit of boiling water), mushrooms and green sweet peppers. 8 minutes @ 250°C (480°F) - done!

image.jpeg

• Like 16

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Lovely pizza, John.  Although Rotuts will have something to say about the green peppers :P.  I personally love 'em on pizza.

Last night was breakfast for dinner.  Used my Cuisinart steam oven for the toast.  I never thought I would be exclaiming about toast, but boy is it good.  No picture.  

Night before last was spaghetti night.  Bread toasted in a skillet because it was pre-Cuisinart lol.

Lettuce and cukes from the garden.

photo 4.JPG

• Like 12

@liamsaunt

I have to admit I have never heard of a Spanglish sandwich. Grant you I am no movie buff as I wondered why they ever continued making them after the death of Spencer and Katherine. But I googled it and have added it to my must have list.  Mind you it might have to be on a week when I intend to fast from Monday to Friday after enjoying this on Sunday.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have not been doing much cooking lately. Went pearl diving today in the pouring rain... at the fishmonger.

2m2ZW6o.jpg

Ordered 2 boxes but fishmonger forgot and got me just 1. One. I go through 1 box (a dozen oysters) in no time! Lucky me she had some crab claws left so I got them all, 3kg. This is all mine, the other one of us happily ate a big brill alone.

ycW7Q7J.jpg

• Like 14

27 minutes ago, ninagluck said:

we have a new vegetable dealer in town, the first time ever, I saw lilly-buds. deepfried with tempura batter and served with a spicy dipping sauce, I am a happy girl ;-) 

IMG_2009.JPG

@ninagluck Any idea what type of lilly buds they were?

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

@ninagluck Most interesting - thanks for coming back with the pointer. That is one I have never seen cooked in Southern Africa. I will do some sampling next summer and cook up a batch.

There is a Korean restaurant in Junction City that has sticky, crispy chicken wings that my son loves. He has a recipe that he does once in a while that is very close but it is quite long and involved process to make it.  Not too long ago a friend posted a recipe that looks like it but is baked, not fried and the sauce is so much more simple. I made it today and Charlie says it is good.  His is a little better but this one is so much easier that I think I'll be making it again.  We had kimchi and rice with it.

DSCN3606.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

There is a Korean restaurant in Junction City that has sticky, crispy chicken wings that my son loves. He has a recipe that he does once in a while that is very close but it is quite long and involved process to make it.  Not too long ago a friend posted a recipe that looks like it but is baked, not fried and the sauce is so much more simple. I made it today and Charlie says it is good.  His is a little better but this one is so much easier that I think I'll be making it again.  We had kimchi and rice with it.

DSCN3606.jpg

Could you share the recipe please Norm ? They look delicious, and I have some wings in the fridge.....

Sartoric: Here is the recipe for the chicken wings

40 wings
INGREDIENTS
about 3 pounds chicken wings cut apart at the joints and pat dry.
2 tbsp baking powder
 ¾ tbsp salt
½ tsp pepper
3 tbsp chopped spring onions (scallions)
 Sticky Asian Sauce:
1 tsp vegetable oil
 pinch of salt and pepper
 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and minced
1 tbsp sweet sauce chilli
 2 tbsp honey
 4 tbsp brown sugar
 5 tbsp soy sauce
 1 tsp lemon grass paste

In a zip lock bag, combine baking powder, salt and pepper and chicken wings and toss to coat.

Bake on rack with parchment or non stick foil at 250º for 30 minutes, then at 425º for 45 min.

Meanwhile combine sauce ingredients and bring to boil for about 10 minutes to reduce and thicken.

Place chicken wings in bowl, pour sauce over and toss to coat.  Serve with a sprinkling of chopped green onions. 

PS I think my son uses toasted sesame seeds as garnish. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

There is a Korean restaurant in Junction City that has sticky, crispy chicken wings that my son loves.

23 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Could you share the recipe please Norm ? They look delicious, and I have some wings in the fridge.....

Try Vietnamese Chicken Wings sometime.  :-) 

ETA: Or Nyonya or Malay** chicken wings etc.

** Note: Malay does NOT equal Malaysian.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

No pretty way to take a photo of this; but since last night was the Australian federal election, which is like Super Bowl night for election nerds, I made nachos..but with crispy fried pork wontons instead of chips, Korean chilli sauce (gochujang) mixed with sour cream, honey, rice vinegar and kimchi juice, wasabi sour cream and a salsa of kimchi, tomato and spring onion. And lots of melted cheddar and mozzarella cheese.

And a VERY optimistic dog in the background there.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 15

23 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

... Korean chilli sauce (gochujang) mixed with sour cream, honey, rice vinegar and kimchi juice, wasabi sour cream and a salsa of kimchi, tomato and spring onion. And lots of melted cheddar and mozzarella cheese.

Dear sweet baby Jesus. You had me at gochujang with sour cream and honey. I'm sold. 

Cute dog! Hope he/she got a snack!

veggies 070216.JPG

First Farmers' market dinner of the year, delayed about three weeks because that's how long it's been since I have been able to go due to the bum ankle.  Had pork chops. Didn't want 'em, didn't need 'em, didn't cook 'em. Tomato from my poor, grassy garden; possibly the best tomato I have ever eaten.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

32 minutes ago, kayb said:

Dear sweet baby Jesus. You had me at gochujang with sour cream and honey. I'm sold. 

Cute dog! Hope he/she got a snack!

veggies 070216.JPG

First Farmers' market dinner of the year, delayed about three weeks because that's how long it's been since I have been able to go due to the bum ankle.  Had pork chops. Didn't want 'em, didn't need 'em, didn't cook 'em. Tomato from my poor, grassy garden; possibly the best tomato I have ever eaten.

Yup :D

Dinner envy going on here

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rarerollingobject said:

No pretty way to take a photo of this; but since last night was the Australian federal election, which is like Super Bowl night for election nerds, I made nachos..but with crispy fried pork wontons instead of chips, Korean chilli sauce (gochujang) mixed with sour cream, honey, rice vinegar and kimchi juice, wasabi sour cream and a salsa of kimchi, tomato and spring onion. And lots of melted cheddar and mozzarella cheese.

And a VERY optimistic dog in the background there.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What a way to commiserate/celebrate, I'm glad it's over. 

Could you elaborate on the fried pork wonton bit please ? I just happen to have sour cream, kimchi etc.

• Like 1