• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 6)

liuzhou

Hake fillet marinated in ginger rice wine, then steamed with flowering garlic chives

hake garlic chives.jpgMarinated hake and flowering garlic chives in the wok ready to be steamed.

Served with a topping of black crab roe.

hake crab roe.jpg

Accompanied by mint couscous with olive oil.

couscous.jpg

And simple braised lettuce.

lettuce.jpg

Host's note: this topic is split into multiple segments to reduce the load on our servers; the previous segment is here:

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

BlueDolphin, your scallops look perfect.  I've got a few in the freezer that I need to use.  I didn't do so well cooking them last time so I'm gun-shy lol.

Chris, nothing wrong at all with that picture and I hope your eye heals asap.  Your burgers are my kind of burger.  I like when you can't see the meat because of the cheese :)

Liuzhou, that looks like such a nice, refreshing summertime meal.

photo.JPG

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, Shelby said:

BlueDolphin, your scallops look perfect.  I've got a few in the freezer that I need to use.  I didn't do so well cooking them last time so I'm gun-shy lol.

I looked around at previous eG threads for suggestions on getting a nice sear on the scallops.  I followed suggestions to cook them sous vide first, then sear to finish.

I thawed and dried them, lined them up in a row on plastic wrap and wrapped them up into a little cylinder shape.  I put that into a zip lock and cooked at 50 deg C (122 F) for 30 min.  Then I unwrapped them, patted dry on paper towels and seared them in a hot cast iron pan with grapeseed oil.  I tried dusting 2 of them lightly with Wondra flour and those 2 did get a darker crust but they also stuck to the pan a little while the ones that went in naked didn't stick.  

• Like 1

Various meals.

Sautéed zucchini.

DSCN9892a_600.jpg

Leftover bak kut teh w/ rice.

DSCN9897a_600.jpg

Chioggia beets w/ EV olive oil, 10-yr balsamic, salt, black pepper.

DSCN9900b_600.jpg

Sliced lamb sauce w/ shallots, garlic, celery, carrots, fresh tomatoes, fresh thyme & parsley, plus this-and-that; on Cipriani pappardelle.

DSCN9904a_600.jpg

More of the lamb sauce from above, on fedelini w/ basil from the deck.

DSCN9909a_600.jpg

• Like 14

Toasties and Soup

nice

Ill save the pic for this fall

very much looking forward to fall

mosquitos dead, no more no-see-ums  [ed.: das le Californias  : nats ]

sweet.

of course  the Toasties will be from the CSB

the soup from the IP 

nice.

• Like 2

Mahi-mahi roasted with lemon and lime zest and lemon juice, topped with a lemon-mustard vinaigrette. With a red quinoa pilaf with onions, pine nuts and parsley. And salad.

DSC01276.jpg

• Like 13

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

A truly bookended day!

image.jpeg

Breakfast. 

image.jpeg

Dinner. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Another variation on what has become a returned-to dish for me...

DSCN9922b_600.jpg

Tuna in olive oil [Ortiz] together with the oil in medium-hot pan, sliced garlic (Siberian Red); hot red chili flakes, Salina salted capers [Mongetto] (rinsed & soaked & drained); dripping-wet just-cooked linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo], several splashes of AgroDolce Bianco Delizia Estense, fold in on heat w/ a little more pasta water; chopped parsley (from my deck). Plate; lots of ground black pepper; garnish w/ parsley leaflets.

• Like 11

Orzo cooked like risotto with garlic scapes, what I could rescue from my bolted arugula and spinach, and mushrooms (shiitake and white). I toasted the orzo before I started adding broth. And, of course, salad.

DSC01290.jpg

• Like 13

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

After 3 days of working 14 hours a day, 12 hour day calls for celebration.  Visited newly open whole foods at 6:30 pm, dinner at 7 something.

remnants of the beet salad, very Pollock esque

image.jpg

Strip steak and martini

image.jpg

image.jpg

U

View of DC in preparation to the 4th of July.  

image.jpg

• Like 20

Leftover roasted chicken and potato salad with fresh tomato and corn from today's local farmers market.

IMG_3235.jpg

I didn't set out to cut the corn out of the photo, but unfortunately, it deserved it - it was sweet but tough, very disappointing.

• Like 14

10 hours ago, chefmd said:

Strip steak and martini

image.jpg

image.jpg

As the real estate folks say "Location, Location, Location!"

I would say being next to that strip steak and martini is a pretty good location! 

• Like 7

Chicken legs braised with garlic, chilli, olives and coriander leaf/cilantro.

Served with buttery minted new potatoes.

(This is half of what I ate. And there are still leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.)

IMG_2034.jpg

Apologies for lousy photograph. My kitchen lighting isn't camera friendly.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

No pics, but Kamado Joe sirloin, rare, minted peas and 8 minute chips. I do like vegetarian food but I felt the need for steak as a bolster beforehand. As a bonus I never realised you could get Quorn pepperoni or bacon before :) (She is vegetarian not vegan thankfully because I am not up to date on where Quorn is with the egg thing).

• Like 3

After 2.5 hours at the phone store to replace the phone himself has misplaced somewhere for the last week...

shrimp with garlic over pasta and finished with flat leaf parsley.  I'm too tired to be hungry.

trying to use up all kinds of leftovers before Johnnybird leaves for a few days of camping.  I'm thinking what I would like to eat when I am here by myself... so far I have all kinds of fresh fruit, greek yoghurt, chef's salads, a chili dog, some pork loin with rice and veg.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites