• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

Second & Third Acts of a Soup. :-) 

Well, I still had some meatballs and some watercress in a fair bit of broth from the soup posted here...so I added in a few dollops of gelled chicken stock, water, and handfuls of trimmed sweet basil, used as a vegetable. (I often do this) Simmered to rewarm before adding the basil to wilt into it then simmering for less than a minute more. But – I was also chomping on this-and-that, and managed to eat only part of the bowl of soup. Soooo...later, I boosted the soup with more water & gelled chicken stock, added in chunks of firm tofu, and at the end put in several "pieces"/"sheets" of "fresh" fine rice noodles (Vietnamese-type). This I demolished. :-)

The trimmed basil soaking...

DSCN0259b_500.jpg

About 3/4 of the batch shown in the picture; there's about 5-6 inches of trimmed basil below the surface... ;-)

Soup, Act 2.   Soup, Act 3.

DSCN0261a_400.jpgDSCN0266b_400.jpg

The fine rice noodles used.

DSCN0277a_600.jpg

And, afterwards, two slices of the cantaloupe-honeydew hybrid that Van Antwerp's Farm grows...

DSCN0273a_400.jpg

huiray

huiray

Second & Third Acts of a Soup. :-) 

Well, I still had some meatballs and some watercress in a fair bit of broth from the soup posted here...so I added in a few dollops of gelled chicken stock, water, and handfuls of trimmed sweet basil, used as a vegetable. (I often do this) Simmered to rewarm before adding the basil to wilt into it then simmering for less than a minute more. But – I was also chomping on this-and-that, and managed to eat only part of the bowl of soup. Soooo...later, I boosted the soup with more water & gelled chicken stock, added in chunks of firm tofu, and at the end put in several "pieces"/"sheets" of fine rice noodles (Vietnamese-type). This I demolished. :-)

The trimmed basil soaking...

DSCN0259b_500.jpg

About 3/4 of the batch shown in the picture. ;-)

Soup, Act 2.   Soup, Act 3.

DSCN0261a_400.jpgDSCN0266b_400.jpg

The fine rice noodles used.

DSCN0277a_600.jpg

And, afterwards, two slices of the cantaloupe-honeydew hybrid that Van Antwerp's Farm grows...

DSCN0273a_400.jpg