• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do i need a college degree to be a waiter or a cook?

alex77

I want to be hired as a waiter or a cook but i don't know if i must have a degree in tourism.It's the only job i could find.The other jobs required cv+college degree.I'm not crazy for physics or math so i don't want to advance from my senior year to something worser.I loved sophomore math and junior math but i was never crazy for that senior math.I barely know the cos laws and sin laws.IT is math so i don't think i stand a chance there.I want to earn moneys so that i can buy a new laptop.The employers will hire me for a short time if i have my baccalaureat ?Now i only know british english and i don't know other languages.Is my only chance England?I heard that you win 6,5 pounds+tips per hour.Is that true?

Hello Alex77. Welcome to eGullet.

Where are you living? Britain? How old are you? What level are you in school? Or are you still in school? If so, is there a 'guidance counsellor' at your school who may be able to advise you? How about your parents - can they be of help in any way ... perhaps by outlining for you generally what kinds of skills, abilities, background, etc. you may need to get a job in your area for instance.

Do you already know how to cook? If not, you will probably not get a job as a cook per se but perhaps you can work in a kitchen as a dishwasher and work your way up. Do you have any experience at anything? Have you prepared a resume?

I don't know how many we have here on the boards who would be able to answer your questions for the British market (especially the part about the wages over there) but in North America, though many places might like someone who has completed some kind of culinary training I am certain there are small restaurants who will hire someone without much of any experience or training as a kitchen worker or waiter (which usually doesn't require schooling as much as aptitude and attitude, a desire to follow instructions and work hard, a friendly personality, - and in most cases the ability to communicate well). Wages vary from place to place and between types of restaurant and of course by the actual job assignment and length of time on the job, etc., so that is difficult to answer for you here.

If there are chain fast food restaurants in your area, it might be a good idea to call them up and ask them about their wages and job openings/opportunities. That would probably be much more useful than asking a bunch of strangers who probably live nowhere near where you are.

Why I wonder would anyone need a degree in tourism to work as a cook or waiter?

I doubt that these days one needs a degree in math for either job you listed - since making change (usually guided by an electronic cash register) is probably as much skill as a waiter might require and the ability to measure ingredients accurately probably is as far as most entry level back of house jobs might need. 

Some university level kids (or grads) do work as waiters/waitresses and cooks either to finance their education or to pay for it afterward when they can't find other jobs in their field of study, but that doesn't mean a university education is required to do those jobs. In fact, employers often don't want someone who is overqualified because they may not stay long.

I do think it is best for you to get through your basic grade schooling though before you try to go to work full time.

At any rate, are you trying to ask if you can get some kind of temporary job - just till you can afford a laptop - and then quit. If so, I would not tell an employer that at any interview (unless they advertise for a temporary worker).

Please forgive me but you might want to work a bit on your English if it is the only language you know ... there is no such thing as 'worser' and, if used at all (which it probably should not be in the manner you used it), the spelling of money plural is monies - not moneys. You sound very young (I am sorry if I am misjudging there). I wish you much luck in finding your (probably) first job but the way to do that is to go around your local area and ask local businesses what kind of qualifications they require for any jobs they may offer.

• Like 5

LOL. I am math-phobic and worthless at it but ended up with a couple doctorates in science anyway. Don't let trigonometry stop you from going where you want to go. Not that a good life can't come from the food industry, but don't let frigonometry determine the course of your life.

• Like 6

• 2 years later...

I'm sure that a waiter or a cook doesn't need a degree. Perhaps in order to get into a good restaurant, you need experience and recommendations, but not a degree. Of course, in order to learn this matter in perfection, one must practice a lot, not forgetting the theory. When I started working as a waiter, I was still at university and various homework answers I found on online resources to manage with all my tasks. At first, it was difficult, but later with the experience, it was given easier, so practice and you will succeed.

Edited by jamare (log)

On 7/3/2016 at 3:58 AM, alex77 said:

I want to be hired as a waiter or a cook but i don't know if i must have a degree in tourism.It's the only job i could find.The other jobs required cv+college degree.I'm not crazy for physics or math so i don't want to advance from my senior year to something worser.I loved sophomore math and junior math but i was never crazy for that senior math.I barely know the cos laws and sin laws.IT is math so i don't think i stand a chance there.I want to earn moneys so that i can buy a new laptop.The employers will hire me for a short time if i have my baccalaureate ?Now i only know british english and i don't know other languages.Is my only chance England?I heard that you win 6,5 pounds+tips per hour.Is that true?

I'm rather confused. You say you only know British English, but your post uses almost entirely American English (and one French word).  "Sophomore" is not used in British English. Nor is "math". More sensibly we abbreviate plurals as plurals. Mathematics - maths. "college degree" is seldom used. "baccalaureat " (sic) is not generally a British qualification; It is French. P.S.  It's "baccalaureate". And you don't "win" a salary' you "earn" one. "Worser" is just plain wrong in any English.

It really would be much easier to advise you if you told us where you are really from. But generally, no. You do not need a degree. Few top chefs have degrees. Few top business leaders have degrees.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto