• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Josh71

Josh71

I found this dish in one of the chinese restaurant in my town.

Basically, it's very simple and it might be typical dim sum dish. Although, I have never found it elsewhere. 

And sadly, the restaurant doesn't serve it anymore. It's not in the menu anymore.

You will get a small plate of steamed squid, cut in bite size, only the body, not tentacle.

No seasoning nor sauce mixed with the squid. The sauce is served separately consisting soy sauce, green onion, red onion, chilies and a bit of sugar perhaps because it has a little bit sweet taste.

It is steamed because the squid is served warm (not piping hot).

It is very delicate, clean and tender.

Tender, but not mushy, it has still kind of bite (crunchiness?).

I had ika sashimi before, it's not that. ika sashimi won't be served warm.

That's the dish.

========

Now, regarding "type of squid" that I mentioned, I don't mean about the species :)

But rather in "size". To me, all squids sold in the market look the same! The only different is size, length of the body.

At least in the market here, I could buy small one 10 to 15 cm long, or bigger than that like 20 cm or even bigger than that.

But definitely the squid used in this dish is not the biggest, it's too thick!

So, that's the story.

=========

As this is kind of dim sum, I would try to steam it traditionally though. But again, I have no idea about the timing etc, related to the size of the squids.

Probably small squid and steam for 1 minute? :)

I could buy some and do "weekend experiments". Try 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes and so on!

Josh71

Josh71

Basically, it's very simple and it might be typical dim sum dish. Although, I have never found it elsewhere. 

And sadly, the restaurant doesn't serve it anymore. It's not in the menu anymore.

You will get a small plate of steamed squid, cut in bite size, only the body, not tentacle.

No seasoning nor sauce mixed with the squid. The sauce is served separately consisting soy sauce, green onion, red onion, chilies and a bit of sugar perhaps because it has a little bit sweet taste.

That's the dish.

========

Now, regarding "type of squid" that I mentioned, I don't mean about the species :)

But rather in "size". To me, all squids sold in the market look the same! The only different is size, length of the body.

At least in the market here, I could buy small one 10 to 15 cm long, or bigger than that like 30 cm or even bigger than that.

So, that's the story.

=========

As this is kind of dim sum, I would try to steam it traditionally though. But again, I have no idea about the timing etc, related to the size of the squids.

I could buy some and do "weekend experiments". Try 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes and so on!

Josh71

Josh71

And sadly, the restaurant doesn't serve it anymore.

That's the dish.

========

At least in the market here, I could buy small one 10 to 15 cm long, or bigger than that like 30 cm or even bigger than that.

So, that's the story.

=========