• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pbear

pbear

Michael, I notice this is a hobby of yours.  Prior threads in a similar vein include Baking Formula (2008), Need input on baked goods calculator (2010), Input needed for recipe analysis technique (2010) and Cookie Recipe Creator (2011).  From these, it's evident this way of looking at recipes works for you.  It doesn't follow, however, that it works for anyone else.

Focusing on the thread title rather than the calculator, as blue dolphin says, very few people (almost no one) tries to develop unique recipes.  Rather, almost all recipes are either variations on a prior one or a synthesis of several.  On the rare occasion I do tackle what I call a "blue sky" recipe, it consists of putting  ingredients on the counter based on experience and intuition, then doing trial after trial.  Asking me to explain how I make it work is like asking a musician to explain how s/he writes a song.  Can't imagine a scenario, though, where a tool like you're trying to devise would be helpful..

Also, I don't think anyone is going to take the time to enter a bunch of data to get an analysis.  I know I won't.

pbear

pbear

Michael, I notice this is a hobby of yours.  Prior threads in a similar vein include Baking Formula (2008), Need input on baked goods calculator (2010), Input needed for recipe analysis technique (2010) and Cookie Recipe Creator (2011).  From these, it's evident this way of looking at recipes works for you.  It doesn't follow, however, that it works for anyone else.

Focusing on the thread title rather than the calculator, as blue dolphin says, very few people (almost no one) tries to develop unique recipes.  Rather, almost all recipes are either variations on a prior one or a synthesis of several.  On the rare occasion I do tackle what I call a "blue sky" recipe, it's based on putting  ingredients on the counter based on experience and intuition, then doing trial after trial.  Asking me to explain how I make it work is like asking a musician to explain how s/he writes a song.  Can't imagine a scenario, though, where a tool like you're trying to devise would be helpful..

Also, I don't think anyone is going to take the time to enter a bunch of data to get an analysis.  I know I won't.