• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

I am still trying to figure out who exactly you think is your target market for this 'tool'.

Novice bakers will usually follow a recipe they feel is tried and true - created by someone else. They want (hope for) instant success and good results from the outset - most won't experiment too much at that stage.

Many home bakers will rarely vary their base recipe(s) once they have figured out they actually work, especially since there are so many variables anyway (humidity in the air, a new brand of flour, etc. being a couple) that one can make the same thing many times and each will come out good perhaps but no two iterations will be 'exactly the same'.

Professional bakers I believe will usually use standardized recipes since they need to produce a product that their customers have come to expect will be 'the same' each day. 

And then there are crazy people like me who have been cooking and baking and eating for so long I just wing it most of the time .. mostly because I can pull from taste memory, and long experience learning the basics - leading to some understanding of the properties of/'kitchen chemistry' involved in mixing basic ingredients - but I don't write anything down .. the results (good or bad) and the analysis of those results just go into my personal 'memory bank' - sometimes under the 'don't do that again' file. And these days, I don't 'plan' to bake too much in advance - I keep basic ingredients around in case the mood strikes me and if I am out of something, I toss in something else or leave it out. I don't even measure very accurately (oh the horror) most of the time unless I KNOW that a particular measure is critical to the success of the recipe. And I measure success perhaps not the way you would - is it interesting, is it palatable, would I serve this to guests, what can I 'do' with this now I have made it (and made too much) ... can I use it in something else perhaps?).

Most people aren't writing cookbooks so they don't really experiment too much unless it is to make a slight variation from a base recipe they trust. Perhaps they add a different kind of nut one day or try applesauce as a bit of the sweetening element - and they may discover through a process of trial and elimination what works for them and what doesn't - but usually they all start from a basic known recipe while widening their horizons with the added ingredients (like chocolate chips or spices, etc.) ... until over time perhaps that basic recipe has morphed into something more akin to another basic recipe.

So who exactly IS your target audience?

Deryn

Deryn

I am still trying to figure out who exactly you think is your target market for this 'tool'.

Novice bakers will usually follow a recipe they feel is tried and true - created by someone else. They want (hope for) instant success and good results from the outset - most won't experiment too much at that stage.

Many home bakers will rarely vary their base recipe(s) once they have figured out they actually work, especially since there are so many variables anyway (humidity in the air, a new brand of flour, etc. being a couple) that one can make the same thing many times and each will come out good perhaps but no two iterations will be 'exactly the same'.

Professional bakers I believe will usually use standardized recipes since they need to produce a product that their customers have come to expect will be 'the same' each day. 

And then there are crazy people like me who have been cooking and baking and eating for so long I just wing it most of the time .. mostly because I can pull from taste memory, and long experience learning the basics - leading to some understanding of the properties of/'kitchen chemistry' involved in mixing basic ingredients - but I don't write anything down .. the results (good or bad) and the analysis of those results just go into my personal 'memory bank' - sometimes under the 'don't do that again' file. And these days, I don't 'plan' to bake too much in advance - I keep basic ingredients around in case the mood strikes me and if I am out of something, I toss in something else or leave it out. I don't even measure very accurately (oh the horror) most of the time unless I KNOW that a particular measure is critical to the success of the recipe. And I measure success perhaps not the way you would - is it interesting, is it palatable, would I serve this to guests, what can I 'do' with this now I have made it (and made too much) ... can I use it in something else perhaps?).

Most people aren't writing cookbooks so they don't really experiment too much unless it is to make a slight variation from a base recipe they trust. Perhaps they add a different kind of nut one day or try applesauce as a bit of the sweetening element - and they may discover through a process of trial and elimination what works for them and what doesn't - but usually they all start from a basic known recipe while widening their horizons with the added ingredients (like chocolate chips or spices, etc.) ... until over time perhaps that basic recipe has morphed into something more akin to another basic recipe.

Deryn

Deryn

Most people aren't writing cookbooks so they don't really experiment too much unless it is to make a variation from a base recipe they trust. Perhaps they add a different kind of nut one day or try applesauce as a bit of the sweetening element - and they may discover through a process of trial and elimination what works for them and what doesn't - but usually they all start from a basic known recipe while widening their horizons with the added ingredients (like chocolate chips or spices, etc.) ... until over time perhaps that basic recipe has morphed into something more akin to another basic recipe.

Deryn

Deryn

And then there are crazy people like me who have been cooking and baking and eating for so long I just wing it most of the time .. mostly because I can pull from taste memory, and long experience learning the basics - leading to some understanding of the properties of/'kitchen chemistry' involved in mixing basic ingredients - but I don't write anything down .. the results (good or bad) and the analysis of those results just go into my personal 'memory bank' - sometimes under the 'don't do that again' file.

Most people aren't writing cookbooks so they don't really experiment too much unless it is to make a variation from a base recipe they trust. Perhaps they add a different kind of nut one day or try applesauce as a bit of the sweetening element - and they may discover through a process of trial and elimination what works for them and what doesn't - but usually they all start from a basic known recipe while widening their horizons with the added ingredients (like chocolate chips or spices, etc.) ... until over time perhaps that basic recipe has morphed into something more akin to another basic recipe.

Deryn

Deryn

Professional bakers I believe use standardized recipes since they need to produce a product that their customers have come to expect will be 'the same' each day. 

And then there are crazy people like me who have been cooking and baking and eating for so long I just wing it most of the time .. mostly because I can pull from taste memory, and long experience learning the basics - leading to some understanding of the properties of/'kitchen chemistry' involved in mixing basic ingredients - but I don't write anything down .. the results (good or bad) and the analysis of those results just go into my personal 'memory bank' - sometimes under the 'don't do that again' file.