• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

Just now, Anna N said:

Well it is still morning if just barely so I will say good morning. Yesterday I did in fact make my mushrooms and today I did pickle some blueberries. 

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I ran an idea up the flagpole last evening and it didn't garner a single salute so it became lunch for me today as Kerry is off in Wiki. Garlic shrimp with some hot pimenton and toast soldiers. 

Toast soldiers or hot dog bun soldiers?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Very appropriate name - I'm sure most of words that Kerry used were indeed very old words xD!

She has a very adequate vocabulary. Not used often but.....

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Look  what showed up while I was eating lunch. It is a much nicer day for the passengers of this cruise ship to enjoy the Island. 

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

24 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Toast soldiers or hot dog bun soldiers?

Semantics. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I ran an idea up the flagpole last evening and it didn't garner a single salute so it became lunch for me today as Kerry is off in Wiki. Garlic shrimp with some hot pimenton and toast soldiers. 

Looks dang tasty to me.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Looks dang tasty to me.

To be fair, what I suggested was garlic shrimp with toasted hot dog buns as there was not much in the way of suitable bread in the house. Not only that but my suggestion was misunderstood as a more general "one day" we should. Today I was just taking what I hoped was a gentle dig. They were indeed tasty but a piece of crusty bread might have really taken them over the top (and got them that salute last night).

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

A fry up of bacon, mushrooms and asparagus, mixed with duck fat roasted potatoes, topped with an over easy for me and a now legal in NJ for Anna.

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

• Like 15

OK, I must ask.  Are you pulling the formulas for the cocktails from a book?  From eG?  From your own intuitive, awesome creativity?  A variety of sources?  

As usual, you two inspire.....

• Like 4

I went and stood in front of the liquor shelf tonight - saw the bottle of Nonino and decided to work around that. Plugged it into Kindred Cocktail - looked at my options determined by what I knew was on the shelf - and walla! as Lior would say.

But I do have a spiral notebook to consult as well.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 8

Just now, RobertM said:

Do you find name brand spirits bring better flavors than generic spirits?  

Interesting question - I know that certain brands of bitters and vermouths bring different flavours to the party - I'm not sure on the generics vs the name brands though.

It is the big homecoming weekend on Manitoulin when all those born here, known as Haweaters, return to party.  There are dances and parades and merrymaking and drunkenness and all of those things that go along with such an occasion. Kerry drew an emerg shift  and has already left for the hospital.

Not sure if I will get up to very much today. I did cook up a dozen large shrimp with some Old Bay seasoning which Kerry will be able to snack on whenever. image.jpeg

I heard rumours that if time permits and she doesn't get run over by all the visitors in town then there may be pork chops coming home for dinner this evening. 

Down here on the waterfront things are very quiet at the moment but it's awfully early in the day and I suspect most of them are sleeping off some early partying last night.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

57 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'm not that knowledgeable about cocktails, but I've never heard of a "generic spirit"... even at the low end, don't they all have brand names of some kind?

Generic versus name brand. Think of the difference between  a store label gin (generic - don't know who really made it) versus Tanqueray gin.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

image.jpg

Lunch?  But not really the barley sandwich that my husband would have called it. But very, very refreshing. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, Anna N said:

image.jpg

Lunch?  But not really the barley sandwich that my husband would have called it. But very, very refreshing. 

Yeah, that one's more a fruit salad than a barley sandwich but it's not bad. As you said, very refreshing on a hot summer day.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Well the barley sandwich/liquid bread/fruit salad left me wanting and what I was wanting was a simple scrambled egg or two. It's too easy to forget how good such a simple dish can be and when you have access to fresh eggs  you should make the most of them. I especially love them in big curds. 

image.jpeg

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Nice, just the way I like scrambled eggs.  But where's the tomato chutney?

In Oakville?

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

I'm not that knowledgeable about cocktails, but I've never heard of a "generic spirit"... even at the low end, don't they all have brand names of some kind?

Perhaps Bob was referring to my home made spirits?

Just as a quick, and not particularly relevant to the discussion at hand, note... I did not forget my orange this morning. :D

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.