• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

So I took the giant commercial mini-cake pan, that we picked up at Stop Restaurant Supply yesterday, over to the hospital kitchen this evening to bake Kouign Amann - it won't fit in the oven here because it's a full sheet pan size. I had to wait until the staff had gone home, find the key to the kitchen and figure out how to turn on the oven. The girl who works in the kitchen (a new hire) wasn't even aware there was an oven. 

IMG_2722.jpg

Some combination of turning it to temperature and turning the two knobs beside that one seems to have got it going. 

About 30 minutes into the baking - the fire alarm went off. Apparently it was a little girl in the ER who had pulled the alarm, not me in the kitchen, but it was a good 15 minutes before maintenance was able to turn it off. 

IMG_2723.jpg

I brought them home, took them out of the cups and put them in this oven for a bit to brown them a bit further. 

IMG_2726.jpg

Still not terribly brown and I think I didn't add enough sugar to get a good caramel thing going. 

But - I think the pan is going to be satisfactory for @Alleguede's new shop and that was the whole point of the testing.

• Like 11

I wish I'd had a few of those back during my catering days. Instead, I have a big pile of the 12-cavity mini muffin pans. Which I guess is a good thing now, since they fit in my home oven, but fewer of the bigger pans would have been nice at the time.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

10 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Are you 'bining' the meat or going to dazzle us with some clever use for it?:B

Not sure just yet. If all we get out of it is a good quantity of goose fat it still won't be a complete loss so I may just decide to rentder as much fat as possible and send the rest on its merry way. But I might also attempt to rescue some of the meat from the legs and make goose rillettes. Much will depend on the ratio between my ambition and my energy level. :(

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So the very least I should get is an E for effort.  I held out some hope for the goose legs and gave them 20 minutes in the CSO steam bake but even that could not rescue them. I pounded the flesh with the mortar and pestle  but even salt, pepper, goose fat and a soupçon of Calvados could not turn them into anything that you would want to eat unless you're starving.  

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a small question :

Id like your take on it .  Im hoping to learn a bit more on cooking geese :

as i understand it, the goose fat was fine, and you will try to get as much as you can for further cooking Exp.

but the meat was awful, thus perhaps the stock ?

if nit was just a freezer issue, for lets way an Ion or 1/2  

would make sense that both the fat the the meat has lost sits flavor ?

the fat oxidized ( i.e. 'rancid ) etc  along with the meat and its flavor ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Good try Anna N.  You are to be commended!  A for effort.  In the bin, then.  Too bad.

Yep.  But the amusement factor.....

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

I'm thinking you should name the entire thing. "The Tales of Mother F*****g Goose!  It did make for good reading  so not all was lost.

I am SO over it but will always remember the year I cooked my goose on Manitoulin Island. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

I, who have never cooked a goose (and truthfully, don't expect to) have unbounded admiration for your attempt and your chronicle.

I'm also jonesing for some red cabbage, now.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

That's looking really tasty as I contemplate the leftovers from Saturday night's pizza that I ate last night, am eating tonight and will still have enough left for tomorrow night. I'm not generally a fan of wasting good food but this thing just won't go away...

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

5 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

That's looking really tasty as I contemplate the leftovers from Saturday night's pizza that I ate last night, am eating tonight and will still have enough left for tomorrow night. I'm not generally a fan of wasting good food but this thing just won't go away...

Hebrews 13:8

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

If at first you don't succeed - make another batch!

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

Kerry, I'm wondering if you have a sheeter up your sleeve or a rolling pin and experienced hands to produce the Kouign Amann?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, catdaddy said:

Kerry, I'm wondering if you have a sheeter up your sleeve or a rolling pin and experienced hands to produce the Kouign Amann?

I wish! Just a rather inappropriate tapered rolling pin - I really need a straight one for this. I keep sending texts to @Alleguede saying "send up the sheeter"!

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Like that do you?

I confess, I had to google it... but yes I do. That couldn't have been a better fit if it'd been written with my pizza in mind.

2 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I confess, I had to google it... but yes I do. That couldn't have been a better fit if it'd been written with my pizza in mind.

I had to google it too - knew it existed - certainly didn't know it chapter and verse.

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am SO over it but will always remember the year I cooked my goose on Manitoulin Island. 

Heh. I agree, it's often the times when things go wrong, rather than right, that I most remember with fondness.

(After the fact, down the road, etc as sometimes I need some distance from them first before I can laugh, though.)  xD    

• Like 3