• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

We were going to call it "Manitoulin Unrivalled" but after Kerry's adventures over the week or so unravelled seemed more fitting.  Those who follow us faithfully know the routine:

Technical difficulties..... Stay tuned...

• Like 18

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We left Oakville at just after 8 AM and stopped in Barrie for some breakfast

image.jpeg

Kerry's bacon and egg on a biscuit with hash browns for both of us.

image.jpeg

Bacon and egg muffin for me.   The sandwiches were from Tim Hortons and the hashbrowns from A&W.   Trust me -- McDonalds does it better!

Around  3:30 PM we saw the bridge which is our escape from the mainland. Now we are on island time. 

Here is the condo before we claim it for our own

image.jpeg

The spotless and uncollected dining room table..

I

The immaculate living room.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Two views of the kitchen before we trash it.

image.jpeg

The almost empty refrigerator which Kerry is, as we speak, shopping to fill.

And so the adventure begins.

I seem unable to get the bridge photo in the right position but you understand I'm sure.

image.jpeg

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So do you think it will be a Negroni, a Brothers Perryman or something else to celebrate the first night of being on island time?

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I love to follow along.

Most importantly, have fun!!!! :)

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

image.jpeg

so the closet contained barrel aged Negroni and Brothers Perryman I'm guessing somebody remembers from the last time. We liberated some ice from the hospital and both decided to go for a Negroni

image.jpeg

• Like 11

Herself is enjoying a grilled cheese with hoisin sauce as there does not appear to be any ketsup

image.jpeg

We are waiting for the gas Bbq to heat up for our nice sirloin. My buddy Bob who is a butcher cut us a couple of decently thick ones.

• Like 7

So this sounds like fun, and an educational experience for me at least. First, I googled Manitoulin island, then Oakville Ontario (apparently a suburb of Toronto) to figure out why it took so long to get there. I had trouble finding Toronto, but, yay, eventually found it. 

Enjoy your summer break, what's the weather like ?

• Like 2

It is indeed always fun! 

Not actually a summer break - I come up here to work - but it's kind of liked paid vacation.

Weather here today is about 25º C, sunny and a bit windy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, demiglace said:

Let me change my watch to Manitoulin time! 

My watch strap broke yesterday - I've brought 4 watches with me that apparently all need batteries - one of which I hope can be pressed into service to replace the Omega that I was given for my 16th birthday until I can get it's metal bracelet repaired/replaced. So my island time is via cell phone for now.

It will take me a couple of days to slow down to island time - I nearly bit the head of the girl in the grocery store when she threw my avocado towards the packing area - I told her to keep it - once she'd bashed it around I wasn't going to pay for it. Then she proceeded to manhandle the rest of my groceries. I suggested to her that she was being a bit rough with stuff - but that had no effect on her behavior. I shall avoid her in future!

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

It will take me a couple of days to slow down to island time - I nearly bit the head of the girl in the grocery store when she threw my avocado towards the packing area - I told her to keep it - once she'd bashed it around I wasn't going to pay for it. Then she proceeded to manhandle the rest of my groceries. I suggested to her that she was being a bit rough with stuff - but that had no effect on her behavior. I shall avoid her in future!

Maybe she didn't recognize you?  She may also have had a bit of an AT-TIT-TUDE about summer visitors?

Sooooo happy you guys are back on the island.  Unfortunately, as someone who did grow up on an island, I can no longer deal with the manyana mentality of an island.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I nearly bit the head of the girl in the grocery store when she threw my avocado towards the packing area - I told her to keep it - once she'd bashed it around I wasn't going to pay for it. Then she proceeded to manhandle the rest of my groceries. I suggested to her that she was being a bit rough with stuff - but that had no effect on her behavior. I shall avoid her in future!

That's why I never go shopping without 0.5 mg of Alprazolam!

• Like 5

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

In celebration of this summer's Manituolin time I had a G&T with Hendricks while preparing dinner. Let the fun begin.

• Like 6

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

My watch strap broke yesterday - I've brought 4 watches with me that apparently all need batteries - one of which I hope can be pressed into service to replace the Omega that I was given for my 16th birthday until I can get it's metal bracelet repaired/replaced. So my island time is via cell phone for now.

I hope your trip doesn't live up to the title :(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Trader Joes?

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Sorry about your watches Kerry, lovely though that you still use your 16th birthday present and hope the strap can be fixed soon.

Your account of shopping reminded me of the supermarket local to our home here when we first moved in some 25 years ago,. Those were the days before self serve checkouts when the shop employed young people to "assist" with packing once goods were placed on the conveyer after scanning.  One such youth was Stuart.  We knew his name because he wore a badge to inform us.  At that time we used to buy packs of ready to eat popadoms contained in a fairly rigid plastic container so that, with luck and without the assistance of Stuart, one might arrive home with most of the 6 or 8 (can't remember) intact.  If Stuart was the packer he would cram this product into the bottom of a bag, pushing heavier items on top to ensure 'bite sized' pieces instead of the desired discs.  We soon learned to avoid any checkout where this lad was working.  In compensation we did once follow Patrick Stuart (aka Star Trek's Jean Luc Picard) through the checkout, he has a holiday place nearby.  My secretary, a huge fan at that time, was incredibly upset that we hadn't approached him for autographs.

The shop is long gone, bulldozed for a much larger store of a different ensign but I do wonder from time to time whatever happened to Stuart, no doubt married with children long since.  Hope he handled them with a little more care.  

Have really enjoyed these first reports, handy to have a hospital nearby when there is no ice for your cocktail, do you think our own might dispense a few cubes if we run out one evening?   :-)  

• Like 3