• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

Safe travels home & thanks for taking us with you to Manitoulin.

Are you going to batch up some cocktails before you leave so they will be ready for you when you return?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, curls said:

Safe travels home & thanks for taking us with you to Manitoulin.

Are you going to batch up some cocktails before you leave so they will be ready for you when you return?

Yup - just topped up the previous two - Negroni with a bit of wood in there with it and Brother's Perryman.

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing! :)

• Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

17 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

Got a little spookier - a tiny bit of rain came down - though you could see sheets if it on the other side of the channel. 

Had a little visit from new friends here a few minutes ago - they have an older girl and a couple of younger boys - we ran into them at the grocery store (would be unfair to call it the supermarket) the other day and realized that the boys would be needing dragons and we have a couple of spares. They grow garlic and hops (among many other things) - and I wanted them to try the black garlic. I think we may have converted someone to sous vide - we shall see! They gifted us with a nice little bottle of maple syrup. 

so.... will we see in the fall edition id the SV took?

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I will really miss interacting with all of you on an almost daily basis. But let me tell you much as I love being in Manitoulin.... There's no place like home!

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So I heard rattling around in the back of the car - asked Anna to check what rug rat was up to.

She had picked up one of the bags with the baskets of blueberries in it and dumped the whole thing! Blueberries everywhere - Anna's daughter got a whole lot of them up when we arrived, hubby will blow the rest out of the various crevices in the van tomorrow. 

We decided to move Anna's chef's knife out of her reach.

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

So I heard rattling around in the back of the car - asked Anna to check what rug rat was up to.

She had picked up one of the bags with the baskets of blueberries in it and dumped the whole thing! Blueberries everywhere - Anna's daughter got a whole lot of them up when we arrived, hubby will blow the rest out of the various crevices in the van tomorrow. 

We decided to move Anna's chef's knife out of her reach.

You can always rely on kids for entertainment value. :D 

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.