• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

On the way

image.jpegPotatoes browned in duck fat, stabbed to break skin, 1/2 cup stock added and then 5 minutes high pressure, quick release.

image.jpeg

Beans and tomatoes tumbled into a "blossom" steamer and placed on top of potatoes. High pressure for 1 minute with quick release.

image.jpeg

Chicken, just under 4 lbs. would not fit on rack in pan!  Steam bake 450 F X 20 mins, switch front to back, foil shield, cook 20 mins more.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 18

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

And for dessert. 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I know IP as intellectual property. Is it equivalent to PC (pressure cooker) in your case? Thanks! :)

Yup - Instant Pot - one of the 2 current abbreviations that are driving people on eG crazy! Just rubbing salt - don't mind me.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Was just working on my submission for a workshop for the NorthWest Chocolate Festival and lost track of time. 

Oh boy!  Have you been before?  I might have to actually pry myself away from my booth this year if you're presenting. This'll be my third year as a vendor, haven't been as a visitor in quite a while. Oh yeah, better get my fee paid soon :$

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Oh boy!  Have you been before?  I might have to actually pry myself away from my booth this year if you're presenting. This'll be my third year as a vendor, haven't been as a visitor in quite a while. Oh yeah, better get my fee paid soon :$

My first time - didn't find out about it until too late last year. I'm hoping they'll let me do a demo to the professionals on tempering - my proposed subject "what to do until the Selmi arrives"!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

my proposed subject "what to do until the Selmi arrives"!

Buy an EZtemper, of course!  

Sadly, dropping my name won't get you anywhere, they are more focused on bean to bar than chocolatiers, but it is a large and fun event. We Seattle-ites do love our chocolate. Hope to see you there. 

• Like 2

Good morning. We watched the fireworks from the balcony last night until the mosquitoes drove us indoors. Breakfast is all home made -- Kerry's soda bread and Kerry's jam made using her own apple pectin. 

image.jpegx

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2835.jpg

Rainbow sour

I'm not much of a cocktail drinker  (Wine, now, that's another story.) - I'm more interested in the chocolates in the background.

• Like 4

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Sorry - just correcting the inadequacy of the sour in the sour - somehow I translated 3/4 ounce lemon to 1/4 ounce - and our sour wasn't very sour. I was going to post about the chocolate before I was taken off for the very important task of squeezing another lemon and rectifying our cocktails.

IMG_2826.jpg

Second batch of black garlic caramel - first batch as you may recall I forgot the butter! Took the side rails off this am and after we returned from the Flee Market I discovered it had slumped.

IMG_2828.jpg

So threw it back in the saucepan, melted it out and reboiled to 123º C. Original recipe called for 118.3º C.

After it had firmed up and I removed the sides and determined it didn't slump - I put a back on it, cut it into pieces and dipped them in a mixture of milk and dark chocolate.

IMG_2836.jpg

With my leftover chocolate I added some cut up dried strawberries and made some bark.

IMG_2838.jpg

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, ElainaA said:

I would choose the chocolates over the cocktail.:P

Might be a tie for me. Chocolate covered black garlic caramel is surprisingly good. But so is the cocktail. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Kerrybeal, those chops look fantastic.  Nice and thick so one can get a good crust without over doing the meat...GBE no doubt.

Anova then mini BGE.

• Like 5

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:01 PM, Anna N said:

She has a very adequate vocabulary. Not used often but.....

As my grandmother used to say

"sometimes you have the lyrics....sometimes you have the tune

BUT

sometimes the lyrics and tune come together"

(explaining why she did NOT approve of "bad language" unless in exceptional situations - like the time a police officer pulled her over at  1130 pm in 1952 when she "ran" a red light after sitting at it for over 5 minutes with absolutely NO traffic either way in Southampton NY....my grandfather just sat there and somehow didn't laugh)

• Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

So for days I have been trying to fit in some poached eggs on toast. How difficult can that be you ask. Well one day we were low on eggs.  One day there was no suitable bread.  Many days I was tempted instead by Kerry's baking in the early morning but today it all came together. image.jpeg

Poached eggs seasoned with with lots of pepper and some Maldon salt (not because one must but because one can).  

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog