• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

14 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Just as a quick, and not particularly relevant to the discussion at hand, note... I did not forget my orange this morning. :D

Damn - no cocktail for me tonight!

"They" say to be careful what you ask for as you just might get it!  I asked for two nice thick pork chops. I did a quick look around to see if I could give you something that you could compare in scale. I was obviously not too successful. But I weighed one of these chops and it came in at 1 lb. 6 oz. That is a lot of pork chop. 

image.jpeg

They are going to go for a swim in a 63°C bath for a couple of hours or more and then if all the stars align they will get a nice sear on the little green egg. All of this assumes that none of the Haweaters find it necessary to get involved in anything likely to be life-threatening.  Kerry holds the key to operating the egg!  

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Damn - no cocktail for me tonight!

Not sure if there will be one for me tonight or not... but there will be one at some point this weekend.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

image.jpeg

Kerry's dinner. We thought we had it timed perfectly until a baby decided now is a good time to make its entrance into the world.  

• Like 14

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

There was a RIDE stop on the road on the way to work - told the cop that unfortunately I had had nothing to drink - perhaps tomorrow!

Cold dinner far better than no dinner.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

RIDE stop. I am guessing that is what we call a DUI checkpoint here in California.

Ah yes - same thing - officer sticks his head in the window and gives you a little sniff!

• Like 2

I was actually trying to refer to what I will now call "rail" versus top shelf.   some places have a "house" brand that is a low end production version of a more expensive brand name....but, is it as good in a cocktail as the name brand?  

Sorry if I'm not being clear....

Kerry, your own distilled products are Top Shelf, nothing generic about them.  

• Like 3

@RobertMNot to derail the discussion, but what you call the "house" brand, aka the well spirits, is what a bartender will use as a default if you don't specify. These are your basic gin/rum/bourbon/etc. If you want something a bit more refined then you have to request it by name. It's not exactly like they are all interchangeable! :)

Edited by FrogPrincesse
typo (log)
  • Like 1

IMG_2795.jpg

Didn't realize they show up on weekends - perhaps this one is on the return leg. Wonder if they will take the passengers to the Wiki PowWow? A weekend with Hawfest and the Wiki PowWow is definitely not the one to be on call overnight.

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

So decided it was the day to use my homemade pectin - took a couple of cups of berries from the freezer - blueberries, raspberries and currants - added a couple of heaping tbsp of the pectin - a couple of cups of sugar and boiled until it sheeted (recipe said boil one minute or make sure it made it to 220F - not the same thing!) Forgot to add lemon at the beginning so threw it in at the end. 

IMG_2801.jpg

Meanwhile - baked up a loaf of Jacques Pepin's Soda bread - after you remove the bowl from over the bread you are to cook a further 30 minutes or so - of course setting a timer would be useful!

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

Titch browner than I would have liked - but still satisfactory with still warm jam and enough butter. I have a second loaf cooking at 25º F less and I will set that second timer and check earlier in the game. 

Edited: to correct the spelling of currents to currants to quiet the little voice in my head (make that the big voice sitting across from me) who is quite determined to make an english major of me yet!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 16

IMG_2808.jpg

Anna and I thought it interesting that they keep the thing she thinks should be binned next to the thing I think should be binned!

IMG_2809.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 9

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I did see some beets that might enjoy a brief vacation in the IP.

Nope no beets came home though I did stare at them longingly. There is only so much we can store/eat in the last week.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

58 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Nope no beets came home though I did stare at them longingly. There is only so much we can store/eat in the last week.

That is very much a lesson I need to take to heart.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Just now, Porthos said:

I saw the orange. Does this mean that there is a Brothers Perryman in your future?

But not today! Was just working on my submission for a workshop for the NorthWest Chocolate Festival and lost track of time. Today we plan to honour Rafa's return to eG and have a Prodigal Son - no wait - a "The Man Comes Around". I'm going to go and get to work on that right now - then try to massage my chocdoc CV a bit for a Presenter Bio. 

• Like 2

I really have to get around to trying that one.

While on the booze subject, the LCBO appears to have added online ordering to it's website. They'll ship to your local store for free (minimum $50 purchase) or to your mailbox for $12. There was a time when I really wished they did that. Now that I've been behaving myself in regards to adding things to the cabinet that I very rarely take anything out of, I really hope that doesn't turn out to be a very bad thing for me... :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just now, Tri2Cook said:

I really have to get around to trying that one.

While on the booze subject, the LCBO appears to have added online ordering to it's website. They'll ship to your local store for free (minimum $50 purchase) or to your mailbox for $12. There was a time when I really wished they did that. Now that I've been behaving myself in regards to adding things to the cabinet that I very rarely take anything out of, I really hope that doesn't turn out to be a very bad thing for me... :D

Buddy at the LCBO mentioned that to me the other day when I was searching for a couple of things that had been discontinued. He mentioned that you might be able to get some things online that were not available at the stores.

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Buddy at the LCBO mentioned that to me the other day when I was searching for a couple of things that had been discontinued. He mentioned that you might be able to get some things online that were not available at the stores.

I may make use of it once. I still need a bottle of Benedictine, it seems to come up a lot in drinks that sound tasty. Then of course I have to add something else to get to the $50 minimum for free shipping to my store. See... this is the slippery slope I worry about.

• Like 2