• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

Working in the Manor and in the clinic today. Was asked to make the monthly birthday cake for the clinic (everyone's July birthdays get celebrated together).

IMG_2773.jpg

So for the manor I made a summer torte with some of the apricots that a friend brought up for us from the Niagara Peninsula when she came to stay out at Freer Point.

For the birthday cake I made Ina Garten's Mocha chocolate icebox cake. Instead of the cookies she called for I used an old Newfoundland favourite - Purity Lemon Creams. These should soften up and make an excellent cake layer and add that bit of lemony flavour that I like with my tiramsu (which is pretty much what this recipe is). 

I realized this morning that I needed some sort of chocolate shavings/curls for the cake so I tempered some chocolate and formed it into a bar in the top of a polycarbonate box that something we bought came in. I had a choice of 3 tools to make curls - the ceramic peeler worked perfectly.

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2778.jpg

• Like 15

Good morning. Usually I am more than happy to watch Kerry leave with her hands full of whatever baked goods she has made. Saves me from temptation.  To the icebox cake I am happy to say igoodbye  but that apricot torte....   These apricots actually taste like apricots. It has been some years since I enjoyed one so much.  

I am debating what I might get up to today. For sure I have some baby mushrooms thatneed to be pickled  and I am intrigued by the notion of pickled blueberries.   At the moment there is no appropriate protein here that I could slather with the Aji Panca and though I did have a quick look in the grocery store yesterday I was rather dismayed by the offerings.  So that project may be on hold for a day or three. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

And to follow the soup Kerry rescued one piece of the apricot torte and brought it home for me. Dessert at lunchtime is a  luxury I can't afford to often :raz:

She has returned to work leaving me in charge of determining when her custard is properly cooked. As she went out the door I asked her if she recalled anything about the need for a silver knife to test a custard.  She doesn't specifically recall silver. Anyone else?   Mr. Google suggests that I am not completely non compos mentis yet.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, gfweb said:

You need Holy Water in the water bath too.

So that's why it still isn't cooked. The milk and eggs are carefully ageing in there but there aren't any signs of a phase shift. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Gave me a fright.....at first glance I thought it was The Donald.  Looked again and realized, while the skin shade was perfect, the hair was a few shades off...whew.

I didn't get The Donald when I saw it, I kept waiting for it to start singing "It's not unusual to be loved by anyone..."

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Picture if you will two cocktails on the counter - a bottle of gin, a bottle of St Germaine, simple syrup and the citrus press behind. You will also note a couple of custards on the counter. You may hear the sound of the press coming down on the back of my hand and the accompanying foul language that ensued!

You will have to picture this because apparently I forgot to take the damn picture!

• Like 7

image.jpeg

Damn good cocktail! 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

50 minutes ago, RobertM said:

Yes, I think if you're injured "on the job" you should be under W.C.

I'd be in the WC (as in water closet) - I'm self employed so not able to get comp.

29 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

It would kinda be a case of Physician, heal thyself. Ha. 

Sorry, couldn't resist. xD

So true that though - I'd rather sew myself up a home with a needle and thread than head in to the ER and admit what an idiot I am!

• Like 10

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 5:10 AM, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

Not ready yet!

So the rubbing alcohol is to test the concentration of your pectin? Are you going to use this pectin in pate de fruit maybe?

I've rendered pectin in the past using this method but didn't test it. I just used it and hoped for the best (and it worked, but this was in jams).

Edited by FrogPrincesse
unnecessary quote (log)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Does the cocktail have a name?  Or is it just  @#$%&*@$!!!!

It is a Vieux Mot. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

So the rubbing alcohol is to test the concentration of your pectin? Are you going to use this pectin in pate de fruit maybe?

I've rendered pectin in the past using this method but didn't test it. I just used it and hoped for the best (and it worked, but this was in jams).

Haven't decided yet - likely jam - don't know how it would do with PDF.

17 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Does the cocktail have a name?  Or is it just  @#$%&*@$!!!!

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

It is a Vieux Mot. 

Very appropriate name - I'm sure most of words that Kerry used were indeed very old words xD!

• Like 3

Well it is still morning if just barely so I will say good morning. Yesterday I did in fact make my mushrooms and today I did pickle some blueberries. 

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I ran an idea up the flagpole last evening and it didn't garner a single salute so it became lunch for me today as Kerry is off in Wiki. Garlic shrimp with some hot pimenton and toast soldiers. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog