• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

IMG_2670.jpg

Mess of eggs with cheddar and confit garlic scapes 

Photo credits: Corelle Living Ware White - Canadian Tire, Vintage Forks we like - Reuse Centre Burlington :raz:

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 8

A belated good morning. Although I may have had a little more EtOH last night than I should have I was home alone and there were no animals around so there are no pictures of me carrying future dinners. I did  eat and enjoy my meal but the photographs are cringe worthy so I will save you from looking at those.  Breakfast this morning was simply a toasted English muffin with black currant jam and lots of black coffee.

Before leaving for Wiki this morning Kerry asked what we were having for dinner and I proposed we have shrimp and corn fritters.  She will grab some corn on the way home and I am attempting to get everything else ready. 

image.jpeg

The makings of a lemon/garlic aioli dipping sauce.  Please notice how magnanimous I can be when it comes to choosing the mayo!  Mind you I did taste the sauce and it could be at least 50% better than it is.

image.jpeg

I have defrosted a pound of shrimp, given them a ritual salt bath oil and they are now resting in the fridge.  Shortly I will turn some of them to a paste to hold the fritters together  and coarsely chop the rest.  Not much else I will be able to do for preparation until the corn shows up.  

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Usually, more a fry bread.

Bannock: Canada’s Bread (recipe at the bottom)

Hmm...the recipe calls for "1/3 cup of baking powder cooking oil". O.o That ingredient has me stumped...never heard of it before. A typo, perhaps?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

9 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Hmm...the recipe calls for "1/3 cup of baking powder cooking oil". O.o That ingredient has me stumped...never heard of it before. A typo, perhaps?

Yeah

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

23 minutes ago, Toliver said:

We think it just missing a line wrap!  

Edited by Anna N (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Remember that I shared a list with you of the recipes that I wanted to attempt while we were up on the island. But there is another list that I can't share with you because it's inscribed in the sulci of my brain. One of  does recipes is little more than a vague memory of a lemon pudding cake with blueberries. I managed to dig up the recipe in Evernote and decided the day was today  as all the ingredients were at hand.  It also seemed to be fine recipe for testing the steam basic function on the CSO and avoiding the whole bain-marie stuff.

image.jpeg

Ingredients.  Blueberries are already in the bowls.

image.jpeg

All divided up and ready to go into the CSO. After consulting the little book that came with the oven I have opted to go with 250°F steam bake for 40 minutes. It would behoove me  to check on things at the 30 minute mark if only I remember 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Yep. Should have checked it at the 30 minute mark. Cake is just a little overcooked. I had one instead of lunch and it was perfectly satisfactory and I'm guessing Kira might enjoy one for dessert after her hotdog this evening.  Nice though not to have to mess with a bain-marie. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Yep. Should have checked it at the 30 minute mark. Cake is just a little overcooked. I had one instead of lunch and it was perfectly satisfactory and I'm guessing Kira might enjoy one for dessert after her hotdog this evening.  Nice though not to have to mess with a bain-marie. 

I think they look great and I'm super excited that the steam/bake works like that.  I will for sure take on more desserts etc. if I don't have to mess with a water bath.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

They look really good. I enjoy pudding cake. Haven't seen milk in a bag in years, your blogs bring back so many memories.

• Like 1

Lunch at Ed's again - 'corn' soup (posole I think) and I decided to follow the residents low carb kick and have the innards from a supreme burger.

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

Before leaving for Wiki this morning Kerry asked what we were having for dinner and I proposed we have shrimp and corn fritters.  

Shrimp and corn fritters... hmmm. I have a couple lbs. of shrimp in the freezer. Started out with 5 lbs. but I did a shrimp boil one Saturday and I've been tossing a few in the smoker every time I have it going for something else. They're slowly disappearing. Might have to check google regarding these shrimp and corn fritters. I like corn fritters, never occurred to me to add shrimp to them.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

10 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Shrimp and corn fritters... hmmm. I have a couple lbs. of shrimp in the freezer. Started out with 5 lbs. but I did a shrimp boil one Saturday and I've been tossing a few in the smoker every time I have it going for something else. They're slowly disappearing. Might have to check google regarding these shrimp and corn fritters. I like corn fritters, never occurred to me to add shrimp to them.

I highly recommend them - they were absolutely delicious - they are held together with ground up shrimp apparently - I did notice Anna had problems with some falling apart - so perhaps she'll weigh in tomorrow when she's awake and comment on any changes she would recommend.

• Like 3

I'm definitely going to give them a try. I was planning all kinds of things to eat over the next week that I've been meaning to try or revisit. The kid is pretty picky about what she'll eat but she was supposed to be away for a week so it seemed like a good time to do that. But the trip got postponed until later in the summer so I'm back to taking what she'll eat into consideration. Not that I always do. She's 16, so every now and then I tell her she can eat what I'm eating or make herself something. She usually ends up making Kraft Dinner on those nights.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

54 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I highly recommend them - they were absolutely delicious - they are held together with ground up shrimp apparently - I did notice Anna had problems with some falling apart - so perhaps she'll weigh in tomorrow when she's awake and comment on any changes she would recommend.

Georges Perrier's crab cake is held together with a shrimp mousse. Works beautifully.

http://www.philly.com/philly/food/restaurants/recipes/34663439.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Lunch at Ed's again - 'corn' soup (posole I think) and I decided to follow the residents low carb kick and have the innards from a supreme burger.

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

Um, this is not pozole. It may have corn in it, but the color and the presence of what looks like black beans means that it's something else. Tasty, I'm sure, but not pozole. Pozole has big kernals of white corn (aka hominy) with either pork or chicken, and then either a green or red salsa is stirred in to taste. Toppings include chopped cabbage, sliced radishes, chopped white onion, chopped cilantro, and a generous squeeze of lime. A meal in a bowl, in fact. In some small restaurants one can opt for neck meat, an ear, a piece of the snout, or other less well-known parts of the pig. I've never been brave enough to choose anything other than neck meat, though people tell me that I'm missing out on the ear.

Pozole done the right way is something of a production--soak the dry corn in lime water (not the fruit), and then cook it for a long time with pork neck  bones before the meat is taken off the bone for service. An exceptional variation, Pozolillo (Little Pozole)  is on page 44 of Diana Kennedy's My México, using fresh corn instead of dry. Shorter cooking time, and a very fresh flavor. She advises to use what we call field corn rather than the sweet variety that we enjoy in the summer. Pozolillo needs a little "chew" to be good.

Sorry to be pedantic. Please take it in the spirit it was given.

Nancy in Pátzcuro

• Like 4

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

This was the recipe that inspired me.  There are certainly a few changes I would make next time. I felt the ratio of corn to shrimp was off.  Using one pound of shell-on shrimp and the kernels from 4 cobs was just off. Next time I would aim for  the same amount of shrimp but no more than 1 1/2 cups of corn kernels.  I also think it would've benefitted from a little more seasoning. I went easy on the smoked paprika not using much more than 1/2 of a teaspoon.  I would also add salt and if I had one on hand a finely minced jalapeño or other hot pepper. Finally I think they need a longer rest in the refrigerator than I was able to give them last night.   Use a generous amount of oil and get it good and hot and be prepared to be spit at.:o:o

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Um, this is not pozole. It may have corn in it, but the color and the presence of what looks like black beans means that it's something else. Tasty, I'm sure, but not pozole. 

Poor Canada, it's not their fault there's so much USA in the way. The farther north you go, the lamer the Mexican food! :P

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Um, this is not pozole. It may have corn in it, but the color and the presence of what looks like black beans means that it's something else. Tasty, I'm sure, but not pozole. Pozole has big kernals of white corn (aka hominy) with either pork or chicken, and then either a green or red salsa is stirred in to taste. Toppings include chopped cabbage, sliced radishes, chopped white onion, chopped cilantro, and a generous squeeze of lime. A meal in a bowl, in fact. In some small restaurants one can opt for neck meat, an ear, a piece of the snout, or other less well-known parts of the pig. I've never been brave enough to choose anything other than neck meat, though people tell me that I'm missing out on the ear.

Pozole done the right way is something of a production--soak the dry corn in lime water (not the fruit), and then cook it for a long time with pork neck  bones before the meat is taken off the bone for service. An exceptional variation, Pozolillo (Little Pozole)  is on page 44 of Diana Kennedy's My México, using fresh corn instead of dry. Shorter cooking time, and a very fresh flavor. She advises to use what we call field corn rather than the sweet variety that we enjoy in the summer. Pozolillo needs a little "chew" to be good.

Sorry to be pedantic. Please take it in the spirit it was given.

Nancy in Pátzcuro

My bad - was referring to the corn that goes in Pozole - not the pozole itself. I have had 'real' posole before in NM and totally loved it. So what is the name of the treated corn that I have purchased to make posole?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Poor Canada, it's not their fault there's so much USA in the way. The farther north you go, the lamer the Mexican food! :P

Yes we are not as rich in Mexican culture as I would like to be in terms of groceries. But you might be surprised to learn that there is hardly a grocery store within the GTA that does not boast a Mexican section clearly labelled as such. At one time you found little more there than some jars of salsa and some Old El Paso taco kits but things are definitely improving.   I can buy masa harina  in most stores and I'm gradually seeing more canned Mexican goods appearing. We do have access to Mexican groceries in the section of Toronto called Kensington Market and even in Oakville there is a small grocery store selling Mexican and some South American products.  Restaurants claiming to be Mexican are also springing up all over the place.  

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_2682.jpg

Saw this wandering into town this am - wonder how much the passengers are enjoying the sheets of rain as they head out to the cultural center and powwow. 

• Like 7

is this the Chicago to Toronto "" Ferry "" we've seen before ?

with a delightful Bus Ride from Midland to Toronto ?

http://www.pearlseascruises.com/cruises/great-lakes-cruise/

Georgian-Bay-Chicago-MidlandToronto-011316-540pxw.jpg

there seems to be a better choice :  no bus trip :

http://www.pearlseascruises.com/cruises/great-lakes-georgian-bay-cruise/

Great-Lakes-and-Georgian-Bay-122115-540pxw.jpg

if the food is decent, and the accommodations decent

Why Not ?

Ive been in Chicago for 4 summers.

this might be a bit of relief   

smile.gif

• Like 3