• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

Kerry - Just how big are they? I can't really tell from the picture.

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Storing beans or rice!?

Fill with gold or silver coins and bury in the back yard!?

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 8

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

9 minutes ago, ElainaA said:

Kerry - Just how big are they? I can't really tell from the picture.

Answering for Kerry who just got called in to deal with patients in Emerg. 

These are standard growler size meaning they have a capacity of 2 L/2 quarts.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Kerry asked one of the nurses who grows black and red currants if she might have some red currants.  The nurse picked some for Kerry and asked if in return she would make a cake. The nurse provided the recipe. This is a red currant meringue cake. 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Answering for Kerry who just got called in to deal with patients in Emerg. 

These are standard growler size meaning they have a capacity of 2 L/2 quarts.

How about home-brewed ginger beer if you can find a valve top that fits (or whatever you need so it doesn't explode when you open it, not awake yet)

• Like 2

No photographs of breakfast this morning since I know you've all seen a toasted English muffin with butter. I am in the process of making ricotta using more or less the proportions suggested by @JohnT.  However, I have run into a slight snag. At home I have muslin with a loose enough weave to drain the ricotta easily. Here I can only find very tightly woven cloths so I may be waiting a week or more for my ricotta to drain.O.o

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Never before in the annals of ricotta-making was a kitchen so totally trashed. I used every strainer, colander, measuring jug, cloth, etc. in my desperate attempts to find a way to drain those damn curds.   Then Kerry walks in the door and shows me a whole bundle of perfectly adequate muslin that was right before my bloody eyes.  It is hard to hate your best friend but........

So before she came home I had rigged up a system which I dare not show you. Let's just say it involves a J-cloth, an extra long twist tie, 4 wood or plastic-handled implements and a metal mixing bowl.  

And in the refrigerator is a container labelled "way more whey than we'll ever use".  I am going to read for the rest of the day. 

• Like 17

My 2004 eG Blog

No cocktail for Kerry tonight and I am finishing up the  aged Negroni. 

I declare the ricotta an epic fail. Suspect it might be operator error but it also might be the milk which is different from what I get down south I think.  It did not develop curds the way it usually does for me. These were extremely small curds and I think that is in large part to blame for my inability to drain it properly. Right now it is much closer to porridge than it is to any cheese I've ever known. I have tossed it into the refrigerator but I suspect next stop will be down the sink. I don't know. Might have to stick to cheese sandwiches until I find my cooking mojo.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

There was a miscue. The cake went off to the hospital a short time ago. Another cake will be baked for the nurse who picked the currants.  But this gave us both a chance to try a sliver. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh that looks GOOD.  Bet you could use all different kinds of berries to make that ?

Kerry and I said the same thing but it does need a little " somethin somethin". Kerry thinks perhaps other nuts than the almonds she used. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Leftover steak, Lay's classic potato chips and my home-made kimchi. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Been away from egullet.org for a few months so I'm just catching up.

Much earlier in this thread you showed having purchased Clamato, for Caesars I'll assume, for a twist try Tequila Gold/Amber for a richer/deeper flavour. As well I don't bother with "rimming" the glass but rather just add a few shakes to the drink along with a few dashes of Worcester (sp?) sauce. 

Also that that pullman pan works/fits in the CSO.

p

is that ' Relish ' on that Dog ?

if so, it's placement on that dog must come from an allele's expression  that's right next to the Miracle Whip allele, which also seems to be

expressed.  Wonder what's connected to those two allele's, on each side ?

just saying.

O.o

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, KennethT said:

no sauerkraut???

Sadly no sauerkrautv --but we coulda had kimchi!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, rotuts said:

is that ' Relish ' on that Dog ?

if so, it's placement on that dog must come from an allele's expression  that's right next to the Miracle Whip allele, which also seems to be

expressed.  Wonder what's connected to those two allele's, on each side ?

just saying.

O.o

It's a sad, sad day on the waterfront. "My" kitchen has been overrun by two women wearing surgical masks and spraying coloured cocoa butter EVERYWHERE.  There is no room for proper food prep of any kind. When they are not spraying they are painting reptilian eyes on dragon molds.  I tell you it VERY sad indeed.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpegimage.jpeg

See. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

It's a sad, sad day on the waterfront. "My" kitchen has been overrun by two women wearing surgical masks and spraying coloured cocoa butter EVERYWHERE.  There is no room for proper food prep of any kind. When they are not spraying they are painting reptilian eyes on dragon molds.  I tell you it VERY sad indeed.

But maybe you can get a fire lizard out of it.  (Ancient reference to a series of books by Anne McCaffrey - Dragon Song, Dragon Singer and Dragon Drums).

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

24 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Proper?  Bah!  Sounds like fun, I say.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Proper?  Bah!  Sounds like fun, I say.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

Trust me. This is all in good fun. I'm staying out of it because Kerry's actually teaching and another person in such a small kitchen would be a hindrance. I am enjoying it vicariously as I listen to them interact. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog