• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

I get about 1kg ricotta using 3 litres full cream milk (I think you call it whole milk?), 250ml cream, 5ml citric acid and 5ml salt.

• Like 2

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

32 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I get about 1kg ricotta using 3 litres full cream milk (I think you call it whole milk?), 250ml cream, 5ml citric acid and 5ml salt.

Thank you.  Strangely here in southern Ontario we tend to call it Homo milk.  It is 3.5% butterfat. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_2620.jpg

While you guys are talking cheese - I'm drinking! Cin Cyn.

Just had a visit from an OPP detective - wondering if there was any chance we were awake and heard anything the other night when I was on call related to an incident that happened very close to our condo. I think she got her hopes up when I said - yeah I knew about it - "when they called me from the ER to say they had brought the individual in" - hopes dashed! Anna told her she'd sleep through her own assault - and the rug rat was unable to say anything (as per usual) - so she didn't feel it necessary to take down her name and date of birth.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 8

Hubby says a pressure cooker showed up today from Amazon. Got the "but you've already got one of these" vibe from him. Said I was going to sell or give away the Fagor 8 quart - he just smirked.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hubby says a pressure cooker showed up today from Amazon. Got the "but you've already got one of these" vibe from him. Said I was going to sell or give away the Fagor 8 quart - he just smirked.

Skype?  ......or was it an audible smirk? xD

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Stuffed portabellos

Stuffed with...spinach? And?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Just had a visit from an OPP detective - wondering if there was any chance we were awake and heard anything the other night when I was on call related to an incident that happened very close to our condo. I think she got her hopes up when I said - yeah I knew about it - "when they called me from the ER to say they had brought the individual in" - hopes dashed! Anna told her she'd sleep through her own assault - and the rug rat was unable to say anything (as per usual) - so she didn't feel it necessary to take down her name and date of birth.

That's funny (not as in I'm laughing, maybe "interesting" would be a better choice of word). I got a pretty much identical visit from an OPP officer last Thursday. Apparently the lady that lives in the house behind us was attacked in her home and severely injured ("life threatening injuries" and "induced coma" have been mentioned) during the afternoon or early evening of July 4. The officer's visit on Thursday was the first I knew anything about it. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything helpful to offer either. You can barely even see the house from my house during the summer when the trees and hedges have leaves. He took my 16 y.o. daughter's name and d.o.b. but didn't ask to talk to her. The lady involved associates with a crowd that leaves one not really feeling as much surprise as you'd expect to feel that something like this happened but it's still sad. She's always been friendly and polite to us.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Stuffed with...spinach? And?

Sauteed fresh spinach in garlic flavoured oil, drained, chopped.  Added an egg, a very few bread crumbs, some grated mozzarella and some grated parmesan. S&P of course. Caps were brushed with a combo of oil and soya sauce and cooked briefly before being stuffed. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have indeed done this.  The whole milk alone makes a very nice ricotta but several times I've had some cream or half & half leftover and have added it to the pot.  Unfortunately, I didn't measure or record anything in my laboratory notebook :D.  I suspect it would have been less than one cup added to 1 or 2 quarts of whole milk.  If there was a full cup of cream, I would likely have done something else with it.  Sorry, not much help there.

If you add too much cream the milk won't curdle, but up to a cup of cream per quart/liter of whole milk should be ok.  You can also stir in a little cream after draining the curds if they seem dry.

• Like 5

IMG_2626.jpg

With 10 minutes to go before I'm supposed to be at work - decided I need food! Eggs scrambled with cheese, hoisin sauce and a tiny avocado on the side.

• Like 12

image.jpeg

It is a little late in the day to say good morning being just after 1 PM here. So good afternoon everyone. I did have breakfast sometime ago. This was pretty much the end of the Saint Agur blue cheese with a bowl of Vietnamese-style pickled carrots and daikon.  I did not think I was too much off the mark combining something French and something Vietnamese after all they have a long history together.

I am going to have a lazy day today so not much will happen in the kitchen from my point of view. I hear Kerry might have some more ambitious plans when she finishes work this afternoon.  Stay tuned. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Well it seems impossible for me to stay out of the kitchen entirely. It is a cool, rainy, gray day on the Island. What better excuse do I need to make Heidi Swanson's summer squash soup (without the tofu croutons) and cross another recipe off my list?   Like chicken soup it doesn't give your sinuses even a fighting chance of remaining stuffy. :P It is incredibly easy, uses mostly pantry staples and is another opportunity to use up all that zucchini you can't get rid of. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Despite the amazing smells coming from the kitchen, a very tasty bite from one of the pancakes and Kerry's offer to make one for me, I knew from the moment I woke up this morning what I wanted for dinner. Leftover steak is to me like the call of a Siren to sailors of myth. 

image.jpg

Steak on a ciabatta bun with nothing but a little salt and a sampling of my pickled mushrooms on the side. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

Ok hive mind - need a little help here. This was an impulse buy at Homesense in the clearance area. They were shiny - my internal magpie had to have them! They are stainless beer growlers with those lovely little built in handles.

They don't fit in the instant pot (which would have made them useful for rendering fat). If I were into making vinegar these days I'd probably use them for that - if they weren't so big then barrel aged cocktails might be a use.

Help me!

IMG_2635.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

• Like 4