• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Kerry found the butter she likes at $4 .99/lb which is as cheap as we have seen it since we arrived on the Island.

I suspect this has been discussed in previous iterations of "eG goes to Manitoulin" but I was wondering how your provision costs compare to prices you are familiar with in the Toronto area.  Are prices higher across the board or does it vary for different categories or items?

I was thinking about this yesterday when I went to the local liquor store here in small town northern NY and paid $33 for a 750 ml bottle of Campari vs $20.99 on special at Hi Time Wine back in So Cal - I really wanted a Negroni :D!  They were selling a handle of Beefeater's for $46.99 (vs $19.99 at my local Total Wine) but also had Laird's 100-proof at $23.99, less than my local price of $29.99.  The 375 ml bottle of Carpano Antica was $15.99, about the same as at home.

Heh. The goose seems very cheap to me - my Christmas one is usually about £50. Don't forget to render off all the yummy yummy goose fat for roast potatoes! :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I suspect this has been discussed in previous iterations of "eG goes to Manitoulin" but I was wondering how your provision costs compare to prices you are familiar with in the Toronto area.  Are prices higher across the board or does it vary for different categories or items?

I was thinking about this yesterday when I went to the local liquor store here in small town northern NY and paid $33 for a 750 ml bottle of Campari vs $20.99 on special at Hi Time Wine back in So Cal - I really wanted a Negroni :D!  They were selling a handle of Beefeater's for $46.99 (vs $19.99 at my local Total Wine) but also had Laird's 100-proof at $23.99, less than my local price of $29.99.  The 375 ml bottle of Carpano Antica was $15.99, about the same as at home.

To the best of my knowledge LCBO prices are consistent all over the province. I don't think, in general, that grocery prices differ by much between the Island and the Mainland.  What is hard to swallow is the limited selection of EVERYTHING. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Tere said:

Heh. The goose seems very cheap to me - my Christmas one is usually about £50. Don't forget to render off all the yummy yummy goose fat for roast potatoes! :)

200 ml of goose fat is 9.99.  You are damn right we will be saving the fat.

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

So I came home from Mindemoya more hangry than I remember being in a long time. Sensible thing to do was to grab a

hunk of cheese and deal with the low sugar problem but no I had to make a ghetto pizza.  The bacon I cooked in the microwave stuck to the paper towel and I probably consumed a lifetime's worth of greasy paper along with my pizza.  I likely also snapped at Kerry but she has apparently forgiven me. 

image.jpeg

It is now a few hours later and I am almost human again.

As for the goose....Kerry spotted it and there was no way we could walk away from it so we bought red cabbage, an apple, some red currant jelly and we will have Danish Christmas n July on Manitoulin Island.  Not sure yet when this might happen. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

Wow   A goose avec ABA !

wait, that's a different ABA with more B's

I can't imagine a Goose  Fz or Not locally , with ABA or not.

best of luck  !

of course. never having cooked one, I have certain ideas.

Certified , BTW

https://www.google.com/search?q=certified+certificates&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1n7XYt-7NAhXGbT4KHXTlCy4QsAQIPw&biw=1437&bih=1275

pick which ever you want, Ill print it up  ( sorry, B & W only ) and send it along.

" Remember the Tendons "

I probably have not cooked a goose in at least 10 years. I am thinking I will do it low and slow in the oven.  I will be doing some research.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Wow, C$54.56 for a goose! I have never seen a goose sold in South Africa, but that equates to ZAR601.00, which is most probably why I have never seen them sold here - I would equate that price to 10 XXL fresh whole chickens or, better still, 6 x 1kg boxes #14 - 18 giant Mozambique IQF prawns. That's Christmas, New Year and 2 x birthday celebrations for two years from the prawns alone!

As a matter of interest, what was the cost of a brick of butter and what weight is it. Butter in SA has basically doubled in price since December last year and now retails for around C$3.82 per 500g brick. It looks like the chicken thighs were C$5.75 for 4, which is about double what I would pay here in South Africa for a pack of four nice large ones.

Actually the goose was $27 which went a long way towards the decision to buy it. I uncovered it's original price in that close up picture. 

We saw goose fat for sale the other day - $9.99 for 200 ml. We figure this baby will pay for itself in goose fat and we'll have the goose as a bonus.

• Like 12

Ok Ok Ok Ok

----   " Lethal Weapon "  ----

Joe pesci   b  [ed.:  who made these movies  BTW ]

do what you need to do.

fine

then get  demux Goose.

bone it out.   remove the two tendons from each breast side   SV

thighs and legs  :  maybe at different times, CSB.

carcass  fat etc everything else  :  IP ' Soup'  save the fat at the top, and the stock on the bottom for

Goose II

just sawing.

Goose II not  Goose Un [ FR ]

• Like 2

I made the most amazing goose crackling last Christmas by stripping off the skin after roasting it (and eating for Christmas dinner) then sticking it in a pan into the bottom oven of the AGA (so 100 - 120 degrees C) then promptly forgetting about it for 18 hours or so. Rendered out nicely and so so tasty.

Goose liver parfait is amazing too :)

• Like 4

That is a great price for the goose!  I have cooked two.  One I did whole which results in overcooked breast meat and the other one I took the breast off and cooked them in a pan as you would duck breasts.  This was served as an appetizer before the main event which was the rest of the goose made into a stew (I don't recall the recipe but you can probably find a plethora of recipes on line or you could cook the rest of low and slow as you were planning to do with the whole bird.  This worked out well because the breast should be more rare than the tougher legs.

Good luck.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

What we accumulated today - Anna will tell you all about the plans for the goose.

Anna is cooking the goose in the CSO...because she couldn't find a 45 pound chicken?

• Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Anna is cooking the goose in the CSO...because she couldn't find a 45 pound chicken?

:D:D:D

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Good morning.

We both decided that we were not hungry enough for dinner and munched on some chips and dip last evening. But I was determined to avoid any more hangry episodes today so made a quick and dirty breakfast to forestall any such thing. 

Kerry  has gone off to work in Wiki again today.  It is going to be stinking hot and humid according to the weather forecast but Kerry managed to get the AC working last night so it should be reasonably comfortable for me.. I have a rather ambitious agenda and slim hopes that I will be able to accomplish all of it!   But I will start by putting some bread dough together and re-reading a recipe for a puff pastry tomato and onion tart in the little book that accompanies the CSO.

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

So either my kitchen mojo went for a Burton this morning or I left it somewhere south of the Severn. Brits and Ontarians will get the reference :D. Either way it means not much worked this morning.  

I made a loaf of bread but managed to deflate it when I completely mangled it trying to do some slashes. 

I made a jar of pickled mushrooms and I don't think much can go wrong there.

image.jpeg

These tiny ones just called out to be pickled. image.jpeg

They should be good to eat in about three days and should keep for about a month, refrigerated, if they last that long. 

The thing I was really excited about today though was the tomato and onion tart done in the CSO. And it turned out to be the greatest disappointment.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is the recipe from the booklet that accompanies  the CSO. The booklet is available online as a PDF. Perhaps I should have activated my BS detector when the recipe suggested that a 9 inch square tart could make 9 servings!  Despite following directions there was nothing caramelized about the onions and I should have stopped right there and thrown them into a cast-iron skillet and caramelized them stovetop. I was at least smart enough to prepare the puff pastry on parchment rather than the suggested floured surface. Moving a tart base that has been docked and brushed with egg wash seemed like a pretty precarious proposition to me.

I ate some for lunch but found it somewhat on the greasy side and with none of the crispiness I associate with puff pastry.   But there is another thing. This particular brand of  puff pastry prided itself on being 100% butter. That was then. It is no longer the case as they are now using shortening as well as butter.  Oh well. Back to the drawing board. Tomorrow is another day, as they say.  

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

@Anna NDid the instructions say how large each serving was!?!  It would be quite a healthy serving for a mouse!

No mention of the size of a serving but when you think about it you realize at least four of the servings could have only been crust from each corner.  I was quite amused by the whole thought.  

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

My DW would consider a 3" x 3" square a serving size.

I had two that size for lunch.   It did not seem like an excessive amount but then I had nothing else with it.   I cannot imagine it cut into 1 inch squares.  

Sometimes I wonder if recipe writers actually think through their instructions. I recently read a recipe from another book. It called for latkes made from butternut squash. As each batch of latkes was finished cooking it was to be kept warm in an oven until ready for service.  At service each serving of latkes would be topped by a poached egg.  You were instructed to poach the eggs for three minutes before plunging them into ice water and then serving them on top of the latkes that you had been diligently keeping warm. Duh! 

Oops. Must NOT get too far off-topic!   My excuse is that it was a book I read right here on the island and hence relevant. :D

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I had two that size for lunch.   It did not seem like an excessive amount but then I had nothing else with it.   I cannot imagine it cut into 1 inch squares.  

Sometimes I wonder if recipe writers actually think through their instructions. I recently read a recipe from another book. It called for latkes made from butternut squash. As each batch of latkes was finished cooking it was to be kept warm in an oven until ready for service.  At service each serving of latkes would be topped by a poached egg.  You were instructed to poach the eggs for three minutes before plunging them into ice water and then serving them on top of the latkes that you had been diligently keeping warm. Duh! 

Oops. Must NOT get too far off-topic!   My excuse is that it was a book I read right here on the island and hence relevant. :D

OK.  So somebody just pointed out that my math sucks!  They would not be one inch squares!  Porthos apparently graduated kindergarten math -- I did not. There would indeed be nine 3 x 3 squares.  

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Geez that club sandwich looks good.  I'm hankering a good sand.  Must make bread tomorrow.

Anna, the tart sure looks good.

I'd love your pickled mushroom recipe.  I used to buy some from Sam's that were really good.  Not so pickled that they made my mouth hurt, but pickled enough to be interesting if that makes sense.  I can't find them anymore.

• Like 3