• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Good morning. Kerry has just left for rounds at the hospital and then she will drive over to Wiki  to make house calls for long term care patients.   For those new to our adventures on the island Wiki is short for Wikwemikong  which is an Indian reservation on the eastern side of the island.

I am just having some breakfast before deciding how my day will work out.

image.jpeg

Saint Agur blue on lightly grilled (broiled) ciabatta and a 2nd cup of black coffee.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Big Green Egg - we have a mini up here - link here

Would a mini Big Green egg then be an LGE?

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

The things one learns on eG xD!

Ain't that the truth! And the money one spends because of it! eG is right up there with National Public Radio, which is responsible for several titles on the shelves in my library. Good expenditures on things I value, from both sources!

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Moving very, very slowly this morning. Between chores, laundry and washing all the greens we bought at Pike's Farm yesterday I don't seem to have made much headway. 

image.jpeg

lunch was leftover steak, romaine leaves, pickled red onion on a ciabatta. None too exciting but tasty enough. 

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Moving very, very slowly this morning. Between chores, laundry and washing all the greens we bought at Pike's Farm yesterday I don't seem to have made much headway. 

image.jpeg

lunch was leftover steak, romaine leaves, pickled red onion on a ciabatta. None too exciting but tasty enough. 

No cretons today? I love saying it with a Cdn accent, but I am easily amused! Loving this thread. Thanks to you both!

@demiglace

I have to tell you that they are tasteless and I shall be glad when I've eaten enough to throw the rest away with a clear conscience.  Good cretons are so easy to make but I was suckered (and hungry) when I was shopping!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

35 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@demiglace

I have to tell you that they are tasteless and I shall be glad when I've eaten enough to throw the rest away with a clear conscience.  Good cretons are so easy to make but I was suckered (and hungry) when I was shopping!  

Yeah, shopping while hungry has never worked out well for me.

• Like 1

So Kerry and Kira are off sailing this evening with one of the other docs. 

I am enjoying a Negroni image.jpg

and a salad using up yesterday's leftover steak.  Homemade mayo spiked with garlic and a bit of  Worcestershire sauce. I just might wash it down with another Negroni. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

We have wine and peanut butter cookies - now all we need is her captain.

image.jpeg

If wine and cookies don't bring the captain, I don't know if anything will.

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

55 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So Kerry and Kira are off sailing this evening with one of the other docs. 

I am enjoying a Negroni image.jpg

and a salad using up yesterday's leftover steak.  Homemade mayo spiked with garlic and a bit of  Worcestershire sauce. I just might wash it down with another Negroni. 

Looks marvelous. Now I'm hungry. Need a snack to tide me over. And, sadly, no steak for me tonight. But I will do LOTS of thrift shopping to make up for it.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Feeling my rhomboids today after handling the sheets last night!

Getting ready to head out of the house to work and realize I hadn't made anything to take - so there is an impossible buttermilk pie in the oven (about 5 minutes prep in the thermomix) - and don't worry I remembered the sugar this time!

• Like 5

image.jpeg

The last of the Ace Bakery ciabatta rolls lightly grilled under the broiler of the CSO.  Saint Agur once again and some pickled pears. 

I thought I heard a rumour that we might be heading into Sudbury tomorrow so it would behoove me to make some cooking/baking plans for the next little while so I can pick up ingredients in the "big city".  

I am still not totally into the mindset of island living.   Here it is OK to cook and bake things that do not ultimately have to become part of a regular meal. I have permission to cook whatever I want and send the results off to the hospital/clinic/nursing home where, good or bad, one can almost guarantee they will be consumed!

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

Miracle whip!  Proves beyond a shadow of a doubt who has taste and who doesn't. image.jpeg

And if you still have any doubts compare this to Kerry's sandwich last night.  This was my lunch today. Kerry's share of the salad I made yesterday for our supper. She opted to go sailing instead. Nothing good can come from eating Miracle Whip when there's Hellmans (or home made mayo!)

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm going to start referring to the "Manitoulin effect." Seeing the steak salads Anna has made inspired me to make steak salad for dinner tonight. Mesquite-seasoned beef is in the SV bath as I type. q quick sear when it comes out, then chilled.

@Kerry Beal  Did Kira enjoy going sailing?

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;