• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

Kerry is fully occupied playing doctor at the moment but will post about our swag when she has time. 

Meanwhile

image.jpeg

Lunch was bacon, tomato and freshly harvested romaine on an Ace bakery ciabatta bun, lightly toasted.  I also finished up the last of the cherries which were beginning to show their age but still quite good .

image.jpeg

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_2535.jpg

Anyone have any idea what these are?  They were at at the flea market. They do not appear to be electrical in spite of the fact that they screw in. I had the silly idea of them might be something to do with keys on a musical instrument.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2535.jpg

Anyone have any idea what these are?  They were at at the flea market. They do not appear to be electrical in spite of the fact that they screw in. I had the silly idea of them might be something to do with keys on a musical instrument.

Sorry can't help with the mystery items but love the web at the top of your photo, Is the owner in the middle?  Can't quite make out the detail with my iPad 

Man, that looks good. I'm eating pinto beans for the 4th day in a row because I cooked way too many on Sunday and know if I put them in the freezer, that's where they will remain until the next time I clean the freezer and toss them. It's not easy convincing myself I'm still enjoying them while looking at what you two are eating. :D

• Like 7

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

37 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Man, that looks good. I'm eating pinto beans for the 4th day in a row because I cooked way too many on Sunday and know if I put them in the freezer, that's where they will remain until the next time I clean the freezer and toss them. It's not easy convincing myself I'm still enjoying them while looking at what you two are eating. :D

This was the bee's knees!  Best meal I have had i a very, very long time. Anyone who turns their nose up at Sous Vide steak has never had steak like this. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tomorrow housecalls for Wiki Long Term care. 

IMG_2553.jpg

Found some unsalted/unsugared Kraft PB in the bargain section of the supermarket. Added a ton of salt and a bit of blackstrap molasses to mom's PB cookie recipe. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2535.jpg

My husband took one glance at these and said "They're flashlight bulbs." I trust him.

• Like 6

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Just now, ElainaA said:

My husband took one glance at these and said "They're flashlight bulbs." I trust him.

Thing is they don't seem to have any sort of filament or anything in there - they look kind of like a cleary marble set down in a tube and unlike most flashlight bulbs they don't seem to have any sort of electrical foot contact unless the whole base is a contact.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Thing is they don't seem to have any sort of filament or anything in there - they look kind of like a cleary marble set down in a tube and unlike most flashlight bulbs they don't seem to have any sort of electrical foot contact unless the whole base is a contact.

Now he admits to be confused. The whole base could be a contact. Other than that he has no other suggestions. 

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

1 minute ago, ElainaA said:

Now he admits to be confused. The whole base could be a contact. Other than that he has no other suggestions. 

It was indeed strange - the guy who was selling it didn't know what it was - and of course that just piqued my curiosity!

• Like 3

Just now, Porthos said:

@Kerry Beal On the SV part of the rib eyes, what temp for how long? They look beyond wonderful.

54.5 C for 2 hours. Rewarmed same temp for about an hour today.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, ElainaA said:

He might be right - a little research into vintage flashlights shows something called an Everyready tubular flashlight and the bulb looks remarkably similar.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2535.jpg

Fascinated by these items, I was sure I had seen similar before but no memory of where or when so I copied your photo to my husband, a Instrumentation Engineer lecturing at our local University.  Within minutes he responded that he had discussed the photo with a colleague, they agreed that these are parts of reflective road signs from days past.  This link gives a history of said objects:

http://www.roadtrafficsigns.com/a-history-of-the-cataphote-reflector

There are various designs but none need a power source.

Here are some others on sale on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-VINTAGE-AUTHENTIC-CLEAR-GLASS-SIGN-REFLECTORS-SIGNAL-5-RAILROAD-CATS-EYES-/322174903717

Ron advises that to test the theory place your objects in a dark space and shine a torch at them to see if they do reflect.

I now remember a bloke coming to our school in the 1960s to give a presentation on road signs etc, he claimed to have invented the 'Cat's Eye' units used to mark the centre of a two way road by way of reflection with no need of any power source.  I also seem to recall that when I recounted this to my husband years ago he told me that our school visitor couldn't have invented the device as he claimed, I can't remember why.  

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Bulbs and fuses need two contacts. So its hard to see them being that.  Weird.

Hi @gfweb,

if these items are the reflectors my husband identified they do not require any power,  so no bulbs, fuses or contacts.  The system simply works on the reflective capacity of the glass dome.  In the UK at least this system has been in use for decades to mark the centre of a road, the glass domes reflect via a vehicles headlights so that the driver can ensure he or she stays on the right side of the road at night.  We call them cat's eyes. 

Kerry's examples are smaller, probably from a road sign similar to those you will find via the first link in my earlier post.

Apologies if my attempted explanation wasn't clear.

Will stop here for fear of taking the thread too far off topic!  

• Like 3