• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Boy, it's liberal up there in Canada xD

Ok, we're pouring a glass of wine right now so we can have cocktails together.

I like the candle.  Adds ambiance. 

The pour is referred to as 'Justin-ough':D 

• Like 6

image.jpeg

Brought along 3 bananas that were too ripe even for me to eat - so my first offering to the ER for my on call today is banana bread. No nuts in there unfortunately. I think we'll need a trip to Sudbury Costco to get some that aren't rancid.

• Like 8

I must confess I've never been to Manitoulin although I go fishing and hiking twice a year in the upper Bruce peninsula (based out of Bruce N.P.) and once a year to the Sault St. Marie  area.

It's always been in the back of my mind to visit Manitoulin so I'll be following your adventures with interest.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

Good morning, finally. Kerry is on call today but we still managed to not only visit the farmers' market but to sneak in a little garage saleing as well.   More on that later.

Breakfast. I did try for one of those marvelous scenic shots that we've been seeing lately but I apparently don't have the talent or perhaps the angle so you get mine in two shots.

image.jpeg

Here's the background. 

image.jpeg

Leftover steak on toasted multigrain spread with horseradish mayo and finished with Maldon salt. A black coffee to wash it down. 

image.jpeg

And this is the horseradish mayo.  I will make sure there is a bottle in the house less I ever have a cold or an attack of sinusitis.  I had forgotten how strong this stuff is.  It not only cleared my sinuses but I think bored a permanent tunnel through them!  

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

So the farmers market this morning was pretty much a bust.   There was a lot of baking being sold and a good offering of crafts and some clothing. Of vegetables and fruits there was very little.  Kerry managed to get in a nice long chat with the chap who sells garlic.  She bought some scapes to confit and some fresh garlic. Neither of us has ever used fresh garlic before so if there is some way to showcase it we would love to know. Some of course is going to be used for her garlic experiments with chocolate and caramel of which you will hear more in the next week or so. 

She did manage to find some rhubarb but no strawberries to go with it. We decided the extremely long and strong twist ties were worth even more than the rhubarb.   Those things come in handy.

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Now for our garage sale finds.

image.jpeg

Look at this beauty!  I had absolutely no clue what was the Kerry immediately recognized it as a milk separator.  Only by threatening her with her husband's reaction to this appearing in the house was I able to persuade her to leave it where it was.

image.jpeg

But almost immediately I changed into an enabler. The townhouse frequently gets warm, especially when the oven is on and rather than use the air conditioner Kerry likes to open the doors. So when I spotted this iron I suggested it would make a fine doorstop and so it does.  My grandmother Ironed all her laundry with a pair of these  when I was growing up and lived with her.   One was in use while the other was heating and then of course she swapped.

image.jpeg

This challenge is for all our non-Canadian friends. Identify the object on the right of this photograph.

image.jpeg

These were my fantastic finds.  Could not live without my grip sticks for closing bags of this and that but most especially frozen vegetables. The small splatter screen is to replace one I just had to throw out because it was so rusty.

image.jpeg

A telephone and two phone cords  which we hope will keep us out of difficulty with our Internet access. The telephone of course is just for Kerry when she is on call as one of the ones in the house is caput.

And then just for a giggle there is this. No we didn't buy it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And finally perhaps the best five dollars we spent this morning. A cooler that will plug in to the car and allow us to bring back perhaps lamb, shrimp and scallops from Costco in Sudbury  when we get a chance to go there.

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

:shock:  I have the same iron

photo.jpg

That milk separator would even be cool as like a planter......I think Kerry needs to go back and get that sucker.

Hmmmm.....the object in the picture.....some sort of snow remover?  Is that a brush on the end?  Is it used in the sport of curling on the ice?  

• Like 6

Yeah, curling broom.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

@Shelby and @DiggingDogFarm.  Bingo. Used in curling. I should be ashamed as I had no clue but then I didn't start out life as a Canadian. 

Shelby, the lady who is selling the milk separator told us she had another one which she had restored somewhat and was using it as a planter. You would have to know Kerry to realize that she would have to find a way to use it as a milk separator even though raw milk is almost impossible to find in Ontario.  She has enormous respect for these old gadgets and if time permitted I am betting she would find a way to restore it and then find a way to get raw milk even if she had to raise a cow to do it. xD

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Shelby and @DiggingDogFarm.  Bingo. Used in curling. I should be ashamed as I had no clue but then I didn't start out life as a Canadian. 

Shelby, the lady who is selling the milk separator told us she had another one which she had restored somewhat and was using it as a planter. You would have to know Kerry to realize that she would have to find a way to use it as a milk separator even though raw milk is almost impossible to find in Ontario.  She has enormous respect for these old gadgets and if time permitted I am betting she would find a way to restore it and then find a way to get raw milk even if she had to raise a cow to do it. xD

I still think Kerry needs it.......and her husband could take care of the cow...I know he wouldn't mind. :P

(I only knew the curling because I got obsessed with it during the last Olympics.  Yes, I am a nerd.)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Sooo, OK, OK.

where is the CSB ?

for the toast , nothing else.

Not raining ? , take it out on the Deck, just don't leave it there.

No worries. Except for the very first morning before we were able to unpack we have made all our toast in the CSB and Kerry has a few plans that involve the CSB, orange bitters and flan/custard. And I have a few others that involve  tomatoes, cheese, caramelized onions, puff pastry and the CSB.  Stay tuned.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

So lunch will be nothing but a bowl of cherries…… Oh and a glimpse through the latest issue of Food & Drink. This is the free magazine published by our liquor control board and about the only thing we appreciate appreciate  that it does with our tax dollars.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Meanwhile a lovely ribeye steak is swimming in the sous vide bath. I will give it two hours and then swap it out for a sirloin steak.  Was going to cook them together but it would've been a little crowded and there was no need to rush anything as both will be chilled down for later use.

After lunch, if the crick don't rise, i'm going to do some very, very small batch preserving. I also have a pork tenderloin defrosting which I hope will become our dinner in some form or another.  

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

And this is the horseradish mayo.  I will make sure there is a bottle in the house less I ever have a cold or an attack of sinusitis.  I had forgotten how strong this stuff is.  It not only cleared my sinuses but I think bored a permanent tunnel through them!  

Where can one acquire about a case of this stuff? Afflicted with damn-near-permanent sinusitis.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 minutes ago, kayb said:

Where can one acquire about a case of this stuff? Afflicted with damn-near-permanent sinusitis.

You will need to travel to southern Ontario!   If you come mid February you will be so cold that your sinusitis will fade into insignificance.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So lunch will be nothing but a bowl of cherries…… Oh and a glimpse through the latest issue of Food & Drink. This is the free magazine published by our liquor control board and about the only thing we appreciate appreciate  that it does with our tax dollars.

At the risk of being inappropriate to the content of the thread I really feel the need the challenge that statement. The LCBO, for all its faults, does not cost tax payer dollars. It is a Crown Co. and contributes significantly to the provincial coffers. Their annual financial statements are all available online to be perused to determine how much it contributes to provincial revenue.

The magazine is only free to customers. The ads pay.

The majority of the complaining about the LCBO is by groups who would prefer to privatize the distribution side of the business thereby rerouting revenue to the private sector.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the LCBO.

Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

At the risk of being inappropriate to the content of the thread I really feel the need the challenge that statement. The LCBO, for all its faults, does not cost tax payer dollars. It is a Crown Co. and contributes significantly to the provincial coffers. Their annual financial statements are all available online to be perused to determine how much it contributes to provincial revenue.

The magazine is only free to customers. The ads pay.

The majority of the complaining about the LCBO is by groups who would prefer to privatize the distribution side of the business thereby rerouting revenue to the private sector.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the LCBO.

Cheers.

Let's not go there on this thread. Feel free to start a new topic if you feel strongly about the subject. Cheers. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

So dinner is planned: pan roasted pork tenderloin with a pan sauce and fries done in beef fat in the CSO. Now the only question remaining is will Kerry or another doc accompany a patient to Sudbury (a couple of hours or more away).  Hmmmm.  

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So dinner is planned: pan roasted pork tenderloin with a pan sauce and fries done in beef fat in the CSO. Now the only question remaining is will Kerry or another doc accompany a patient to Sudbury (a couple of hours or more away).  Hmmmm.  

I vote that the other doctor goes -_-

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I vote that the other doctor goes -_-

That's three to the good. You, me and Kerry. :D

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

like the bucket.

might make the SV a bit tastier 

Never did before but who knows.  We generally use this bucket or one similar while we are up here.   They were purchased specifically for this application so they've never been used for anything else.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Let's not go there on this thread. Feel free to start a new topic if you feel strongly about the subject. Cheers. 

Fair enough. Apologies if the tone of the post was overly confrontational.

Cheers.