• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

IMG_2443.JPG

So I wish to save myself an experiment - so I'm going to throw this out there. Do you really have to put the bread in the side that says 'one slice'? Will the world end if you don't? Will the toast not toast if you don't? 

Clearly I foolishly follow the rules and up until now haven't questioned this. Anna made her one piece of toast this am on that side, and I toasted the rug rats slice on that side.

What is going to happen if I buck convention?

• Like 3

So while Kerry does have to work I am along just for the ride!  And usually it's quite a ride. I have been reading through some of our older adventures just to prime my pump.

We awoke on this national holiday (Canada Day) to a cool, rainy morning but even on such a morning looking out on a marina keeps one in a holiday mood.

As I contemplated breakfast which I knew would involve leftover sirloin, a picture of raw oysters with mignonette sauce popped into my mind.  I don't like raw oysters but wondered what the sauce might be like with beef. That particular combo will have to wait for another day when we have unpacked all our decent knives, ingredients etc.  Instead I "crumbled" some deliciously soft Saint Agur blue over very thinly sliced sirloin.

image.jpeg

Today will likely be taken up by unpacking and setting up in our usual way (otherwise known as trashing the townhouse). I know rotuts is anxiously awaiting his first glimpse of our hibernating Cuisinart Steam Oven. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

So I wish to save myself an experiment - so I'm going to throw this out there. Do you really have to put the bread in the side that says 'one slice'? Will the world end if you don't? Will the toast not toast if you don't? 

Clearly I foolishly follow the rules and up until now haven't questioned this. Anna made her one piece of toast this am on that side, and I toasted the rug rats slice on that side.

It's said that the "one slice" slot is where the thermostat is located.

Using the other slot may lead to unpredictable results.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

16 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

It's said that the "one slice" slot is where the thermostat is located.

Using the other slot may lead to unpredictable results.

This is interesting.  I wonder why they make the other slot then?  Why not just have a one slot toaster.  Does the other slot keep the toast warm?

I don't have a toaster. O.o

I am so excited for this trip oh and HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!!  Will there be fireworks over the water?

Yes, yes, get the steam boy (girl?) out :) 

I am now hungry for steak.

• Like 1

I probably should have said, "When toasting one slice — using the other slot, where the temperature sensor isn't located, may lead to unpredictable results."

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2443.JPG

I do not think the little triangle is an arrow - I think it is a danger sign to try and tell the toasting public, with a lower IQ than the average, that they must not stuff two slices into one slot! You will be surprised what some people do - they will then tend to get frizzy hair when they stick a knife into the slot to try and remove the two jammed slices without unplugging the appliance.o.O

• Like 6

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

If this is a toaster like the one my parents have, where the bread slowly descends into the toaster when you drop it in and then slowly arises when toasted, the "one slice" side is the side with the mechanism that starts the bread's descent. If you put only one slice into the other side, the toaster won't start.

• Like 2

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

My experience is the same as Munchymom's, but it has been a long time since I had a toaster with that automatic mechanism or a toaster with those instructions. This should be an easy one to prove or disprove. Does anyone have a toaster without the auto feature that says "one slice"? If so, some brain cells will be toast by the time this mystery is solved. Toasters. I worship at the altar of their imperfections. Rebellion is admirable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

I do not think the little triangle is an arrow - I think it is a danger sign to try and tell the toasting public, with a lower IQ than the average, that they must not stuff two slices into one slot! You will be surprised what some people do - they will then tend to get frizzy hair when they stick a knife into the slot to try and remove the two jammed slices without unplugging the appliance.o.O

Fork works well for frizzy hair I've found too!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, kayb said:

Ahhhh...Island time! I love this time of year!

Me too.  

I want to go look and see how many Manitoulin trips they've taken us on...

I always feel like we're all having happy hour together.  :biggrin:

• Like 6

image.jpeg

A not too exciting lunch. Cheese and tomato on toast. 

Posting is quite painful as we must do it from our phones. Still hoping to get our internet sorted. 

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

Mine was a bacon, cheese a tomato sandwich - bread toasted in CSO. Had to make the mayo before I could assemble the sandwich.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 13

I made all the toast in the CSO but not until after I burned the first 4 slices from being out of practice!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

The cocktail tonight is the premade Brothers  Perryman.  I haven't totally unpacked the liquor cabinet yet.

image.jpeg

Anna's in the kitchen smoking hash - wait let me try that again – Anna is in the kitchen  with smoking beef fat cooking hash  - and by that I mean beef hash.

Edited by Kerry Beal
repeat (log)
  • Like 19

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Boy, it's liberal up there in Canada xD

Ok, we're pouring a glass of wine right now so we can have cocktails together.

I like the candle.  Adds ambiance. 

Candle was to flame the orange rind.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Be patient with us today - we are having serious internet issues - we will try to post each little gap in the blackout we are given!

Ladies I can say I will take whatever you can give us!!

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

8 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Ladies I can say I will take whatever you can give us!!

We seem to be back in business for now - it was a matter of replacing a cable between the modem and the router and then turning them on and off with our tongue held firmly between our teeth!

• Like 5