• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

My DW would consider a 3" x 3" square a serving size.

I had two that size for lunch.   It did not seem like an excessive amount but then I had nothing else with it.   I cannot imagine it cut into 1 inch squares.  

Sometimes I wonder if recipe writers actually think through their instructions. I recently read a recipe from another book. It called for latkes made from butternut squash. As each batch of latkes was finished cooking it was to be kept warm in an oven until ready for service.  At service each serving of latkes would be topped by a poached egg.  You were instructed to poach the eggs for three minutes before plunging them into ice water and then serving them on top of the latkes that you had been diligently keeping warm. Duh! 

Oops. Must NOT get too far off-topic!   My excuse is that it was a book I read right here on the island and hence relevant. :D

Anna N

Anna N

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I had two that size for lunch.   It did not seem like an excessive amount but then I had nothing else with it.   I cannot imagine it cut into 1 inch squares.  

Sometimes I wonder if recipe writers actually think through their instructions. I recently read a recipe from another book. It called for latkes made from butternut squash. As each batch of latkes was finished cooking it was to be kept warm in an oven until ready for service.  At service each serving of latkes would be topped by a poached egg.  You were instructed to poach the eggs for three minutes before plunging them into ice water and then serving them on top of the latkes that you had been diligently keeping warm. Duh! 

Oops. Must get too far off-topic!   My excuse is that it was a book I read right here on the island and hence relevant. :D

Anna N

Anna N

2 minutes ago, Porthos said: