• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

FWIW,

ferv- (Latin: to boil; hot; to begin to boil, to be hot; deeply earnest; ardent)

Source: Robertson's Words for a Modern Age: A Cross Reference of Latin and Greek, by John G. Robertso

Sorry DDF, I just noticed your post.

† ˈfervefy, v. Obs. rare.

[ad. L. fervefacĕre, f. fervēre to boil: see -fy.]

trans. To make boiling hot. Hence ˈfervefied ppl. a.

Oxford English Dictionary

As noted, the word is obsolete and rare. I can't imagine how she managed to find it or, more accurately, find part of it. I'll try to find out, though I probably can't until September - summer vacation is about to start.

liuzhou

liuzhou

FWIW,

ferv- (Latin: to boil; hot; to begin to boil, to be hot; deeply earnest; ardent)

Source: Robertson's Words for a Modern Age: A Cross Reference of Latin and Greek, by John G. Robertso

As noted, the word is obsolete and rare. I can't imagine how she managed to find it or, more accurately, find part of it. I'll try to find out, though.

liuzhou

liuzhou

FWIW,

As noted, the word is obsolete and rare. I can't imagine how she managed to find it - or find part of it. I'll try to find out, though.