• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Trying to finish these today as I have a busy few days coming up.

Eight

San Jiang - oil tea

Time: 3o minutes

For the tea:

Dried tea laves (about 5 grams in total)

300 ml water

For the Glutinous rice:

around 0.5 kg dried Glutinous rice.

more than 100 ml oil

Others: Two bowls (one big, one small)

Method:

First, you should dry the Glutinous rice, then you can cook it. Put the oil into wok, then fire the dried Glutinous rice, if it looks yellow, then you can put it into the big bowl.

Second, clean the wok, after that, put water into it. When the water become boiling, you can put dried tea leaves into the water, then add salt, but you shouldn't add oil.

Last but no least, put some fired dried Glutinous rice into the small bowl, then add water tea into it, so you can have it.

Sanjjiang (三江, literally "Three Rivers") is a so-called autonomous county in the north of Liuzhou prefecture, bordering Hunan province. It is home to the Dong ethnic minority. Oil tea is a staple there. It is served daily, but also plays a big part in traditional formal welcoming rites. Guests are presented with it and expected to drink/eat at least two bowls. However, good hosts will refill your bowl every time it is empty. If you have had enough, don't empty the bowl!

The first time I had it, I thought it was awful, but over the years I have actually developed a taste for it. It is usually served with peanuts as well as the glutinous rice she mentions.

Note: "Fired" is a common misspelling of "fried" among Chinese learners of English.

By the way, I'm told English is this girl's 4th language.

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

Trying to finish these today as I have a busy few days coming up.

Eight

San Jiang - oil tea

Time: 3o minutes

For the tea:

Dried tea laves (about 5 grams in total)

300 ml water

For the Glutinous rice:

around 0.5 kg dried Glutinous rice.

more than 100 ml oil

Others: Two bowls (one big, one small)

Method:

First, you should dry the Glutinous rice, then you can cook it. Put the oil into wok, then fire the dried Glutinous rice, if it looks yellow, then you can put it into the big bowl.

Second, clean the wok, after that, put water into it. When the water become boiling, you can put dried tea leaves into the water, then add salt, but you shouldn't add oil.

Last but no least, put some fired dried Glutinous rice into the small bowl, then add water tea into it, so you can have it.

Sanjjiang (三江, literally "Three Rivers") is a so-called autonomous county in the north of Liuzhou prefecture, bordering Hunan province. It is home to the Dong ethnic minority. Oil tea is a staple there. It is served daily, but also plays a big part in traditional formal welcoming rites. Guests are presented with it and expected to drink/eat at least two bowls. However, good hosts will refill your bowl every time it is empty. If you have had enough, don't empty the bowl!

The first time I had it, I thought it was awful, but over the years I have actually developed a taste for it. It is usually served with peanuts as well as the glutinous rice she mentions.

By the way, I'm told English is this girl's 4th language.

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg