• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cherry Pitter (Stoner) Recommendation ?

khcrafts

I'm looking to buy something to help me pit cherries. There are so many choices. Does any one have a brand they recommend? Wasn't sure if I should use a hand held, one at a time or if the one that pit multiple cherries is worth the cost.  Cherries are expensive, so I was wanting to pit a few and try making my own maraschino cherries.

Coincidentally, I watched a woman on a fruit stall in my local market pit cherries this morning using a chopstick. In the few minutes I watched she got through about a kilo, one cherry in less than a second. I wandered off to buy other stuff and, twenty minutes later, as I left had to pass her again. She was still at it and had a huge bucket of pitted cherries.

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Coincidentally, I watched a woman on a fruit stall in my local market pit cherries this morning using a chopstick. In the few minutes I watched she got through about a kilo, one cherry in less than a second. I wandered off to buy other stuff and, twenty minutes later, as I left had to pass her again. She was still at it and had a huge bucket of pitted cherries.

That is what I used. A chopstick and a beer bottle. Did the job. I would think with practice one would become quite efficient. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My MIL gave me a pitter that I love many years ago. It's a scissors style pitter, made of white plastic. It's relatively foolproof and quick for me, although not as good for large quantities as one of the kind with a hopper that you fill with fruit and a handle you crank. But then again I'm also absolutely anal about pitting cherries before I cook them into anything. I'll almost go so far as to count the number of pitted cherries and then count the number of pits, to be sure the two match and I'm not putting anyone's teeth in imminent danger. I don't completely trust the hopper style of pitter, because I want to know 100% that every cherry has been pitted, and I have yet to see a hopper pitter that lets me do that.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2