• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Week in Beijing (and environs) Foodblog

KennethT

7 hours ago, huiray said:

I somewhat suspect the haziness is not mist but smog?

I don't know what caused the haziness... it was beautifully clear our first day, and then proceeded to get progressively hazier as the days went on (with no rain)...  Beijing is known for bad pollution, so I wouldn't rule that out, but I can't say that we were uncomfortable or had any issues breathing, and not that many people were wearing pollution masks...

@liuzhouVery nice... it seems your rougiamo was a big one cut into quarters.  Most of what we saw were small - about the size of a traditional hamburger, but made with that flatbread.  Do you know which is more traditional?

26 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhouVery nice... it seems your rougiamo was a big one cut into quarters.  Most of what we saw were small - about the size of a traditional hamburger, but made with that flatbread.  Do you know which is more traditional?

Your timing is immaculate! I happen to have some traditional 馍 mò (the flatbread) right in front of me.

Here is a pic taken in the last few minutes. The bread is 12cm / 4¾" in diameter.

jiamo.jpg

The quartered one I posted is the traditional version and these are the only ones I've ever seen in 20 years of serious 夹馍 jiá mò addiction. I'd be seriously miffed by anything smaller.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto