• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Week in Beijing (and environs) Foodblog

KennethT

@DerynInteresting...  I've had fondue in Burgundy where it was meat (duck was popular, as well as pork and beef) and the cooking liquid was oil! Very tasty!

ETA: yes, you either used your chopsticks to dip, or the slotted spoon.  Sometimes, the thinly sliced meats would fall apart, so the server in one place showed us how to use the slotted spoon and chopstick in conjunction with each other a proper result.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 1

@huirayYes, I've seen it described as steamboat in Singapore - although, years ago, there was a Chinese place near our hotel that referred to it as hotpot - The Magic of Chongqing Hotpot or something like that - they said the 'magic' was in their special sauce, which tasted very similar to the ubiquitous sesame sauce at hotpot places in China.

• Like 1

Breakfast the next morning, I decided to mix it up a bit:

20160703_091407.jpg

Wonton soup.  This was a little different from what we get in the US - first they asked if I wanted chicken or beef broth, and the wrappers for the wontons are super thin and very delicate - much like many of the wontons I had in Hong Kong, but the filling was pork with some kind of green.  I added some roasted chili and fermented black bean in chili oil.

20160703_093347.jpg

Various dim sum... the tube around 5:00 is a bamboo tube filled with glutinous rice and mushroom (and pork, of course).

20160703_093656.jpg

Closeup...

After breakfast, we decided to go to the Summer Palace.  As you walk around the touristy area of the center of the city, there are lots of 'travel agencies' selling private car or bus trips to the great wall, or the summer palace, forbidden city, etc....  Interestingly, the way they make their pitch (we actually saw this all over the city selling lots of different things) is that they have a speaker (or megaphone) with a usb drive plugged in and it just repeatedly gives the pitch in Mandarin and then English.  But, one great thing about Beijing is their subway system, which is clean, safe, efficient and goes basically everywhere.  We decided to take the subway to the Summer Palace - cost: 5 Yuan each way (that's less than a dollar!) and it took about 45 minutes to an hour to get there as it's pretty far away from the center of the city.

It, like so many things in Beijing, is huge, and has tons of stairs... great when the heat index is over 100degF!

IMG_4881.JPG

IMG_4894.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4898.JPG

There is also a lake, where you can rent a boat (either peddle or with electric motor) and cruise around for a relaxing afternoon.

If you read some blogs or guidebooks, you might be tempted to believe that there is no bad Chinese food to be had in Beijing... you would be mistaken.  We decided to go for lunch to a very cute and picturesque tea house in the Summer Palace compound - we had a very nice oolong tea, and the worst food possibly imaginable... except the rice it was served with, which was decent... for plain white rice.  One of the dishes looked like it was supposed to be a kung pao chicken, but looked like small chunks of chicken in a gloppy sauce that looked like it came straight from a can.  We also got a beef dish that came with a similarly gloppy (but different) sauce - and the beef was tough, stringy and leathery.  Both dishes came with some sort of bright pink hot dog like substance...  Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) neither my wife nor I took any pictures of this atrocity...

• Like 7

Dinner that night was our first foray into Peking Duck...  we were actually supposed to go to a very famous duck place the night before, Da Dong, but, we got confused about the location as (as you may have guessed by now) it's a chain, and there are 2 locations within walking distance from our hotel - our concierge made the reservation but we got confused as to which location it was for...  So, that's when we went to the hotpot place instead, which was also close by.  The next morning (before we went to the summer palace) we talked to the concierge who said that while Da Dong is very famous, in his estimation, nowadays is famous for being famous but isn't that great anymore.... so he recommended we go to a different place... A restaurant called 1949, Duck de Chine.

This is a pretty fancy (and relatively expensive!) place - our dinner which was a whole duck, some greens (cooked in duck stock), a bottle of sparkling water and tea cost about $100 - definitely our most expensive meal in Beijing.  But, the duck was amazing - and different from the Peking Duck you get in Chinatown here in NYC.  First, the duck was very lean - there was no fat on it whatsoever, and the skin was perfect - I mean really perfect - tender, fatless, crisp...  they give you a little dish of sugar - if you dip the corner of a piece of skin into it, arrgghhh... heaven.

20160703_202749.jpg

The guys standing around in white shirts (and a tie) are security guards.

20160703_204310.jpg

Accoutrements....  one of the things they are known for is their hoisin sauce.  They present the dish of hoisin, then add a stripe of sesame sauce, and another stripe of another sauce (garlic?  I'm not sure).  The waiter then shakes it around to make the pretty swirl, and then adds some crushed dried garlic on top.  There is also a dish of cucumber, scallion, and watermelon radish.

20160703_205327.jpg

20160703_205936.jpg

In addition to the standard paper thin pancakes, they also put some duck in a couple of sesame buns, which was very interesting.  The waiter made one pancake for each of us, and also the sesame buns, and then left the rest for us.

20160703_205942.jpg

20160703_210056.jpg

20160703_210527.jpg

Gailan poached in duck stock, with dried tangerine peel

20160703_210530.jpg

The carcass for nibbling...

20160703_214100.jpg

The carnage.

• Like 11

The next day, we were headed up to a small village near the Mutianyu location of the Great Wall for a couple of days.  Our car was picking us up at 1:00, so we had to pack up and check out, and have lunch before since the ride is about 1.5 hours.  Since we were short on time, and didn't want to go to far to risk getting really sweaty before our journey, we went, wait for it.... back to the mall!  And to our old favorite since a trip to Hong Kong, Din Tai Fung.  DTF is a large Taiwanese chain of dim sum restaurants.  The only issue is that while the quality is good overall, some locations are much better than others.  We went to 2 different ones in Hong Kong, and the Causeway Bay location was much better than the other location, and the menu was a little bit longer as well.

One thing they are known for are the xielongbao - soup dumplings:

20160704_124606.jpg

These were very good, but the wrapper wasn't as thin and tender as the best ones we had from them in Hong Kong

20160704_124052.jpg

Shrimp and pork wontons in chili oil

20160704_124838.jpg

Shrimp and pork soup dumplings

20160704_124056.jpg

Water spinach, aka morning glory, sauteed with garlic

20160704_124353.jpg

Bao filled with black sesame paste... this is like a dessert item - it's my wife's favorite dessert.

20160704_130446.jpg

• Like 10

I am positively drooling (and very jealous) after seeing that Peking Duck dinner, the breakfast before that, and this last post with the pictures of the dim sum.

Daughter emailed last night that she had a private cooking lesson (4 different dishes - no idea yet what they were though). It was conducted by the owner on the stoop outside the front of her Thai vegetarian restaurant in Kanchanaburi. She too is trying to make me jealous.

Don't know how much longer I can resist a trip to that part of the world. Once the old dog passes, I may not be able to say no any more. The sights are fascinating but frankly I would go just for the food experience. My daughter is travelling alone but I would wish for a companion to talk with over (and about) the meals since I truly hate eating alone, though I don't mind exploring or shopping alone - in fact, I prefer that. If I have to go alone I suspect that practically all, if not all, of my meals would end up being street food.  

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

But, the duck was amazing - and different from the Peking Duck you get in Chinatown here in NYC.

Are you sure you are thinking of actual "Peking Duck" in NYC's Chinatown? What you would get commonly in most of the restaurants, especially those ducks hanging in the windows or served not-from-the-window in more upscale places would probably be CANTONESE ROAST DUCKS. There are I believe only a few restaurants in NYC Chinatown which serve ACTUAL Peking Ducks, and they would (to my knowledge) make it very clear on their menus and signage that they were serving Northern-Chinese PEKING ducks.  Most of the other restaurants, of Cantonese/Toishan/Fuzhou origins, would be serving Cantonese-type roast ducks. They are two different things. And, I dare say most of those Cantonese roast ducks would be done using Pekin ducks (the BREED of ducks commonly available and used), as distinct from Peking Duck (the DISH).  Another poster here on eG some time ago talked about sourcing "Peking Ducks" from NYC Chinatown for his new upscale grocery-cum-eatery in Brooklyn and it was pointed out to him to that he was probably NOT thinking of actual PEKING DUCKS but Cantonese Roast Ducks.

• Like 1

@huirayYou are completely right... although many of the restaurants in NYC's chinatown call the dish "Peking Duck", they are really Cantonese roast ducks (similar to what I had in Hong Kong), served with pancakes.  I don't know if any true Beijing style Peking Duck is served in NY at all... although I just read that a branch of Da Dong will be opening soon!

Interestingly, a friend of ours who lives in Beijing (actually eGullet member Fengyi - but that's a story for a little later) said that the hoisin served at 1949 is not the true Beijing hoisin, as it is sweet, like a Cantonese hoisin... Beijing hoisin should not be sweet at all - we had a peking duck at another place on our last night which used the traditional hoisin and I was surprised by how different it was... it was herbal to the point it made me think of Chinese medicine herbs! Very interesting indeed....

@DerynI know how you feel - and I'm happy to help your urge to travel to Asia/SE Asia...  I know a lot of people who are active on the Asia Fodors message boards who travel there alone all the time - it's a great place to do that since it is very safe, and there are so many food options where it is not awkward to eat alone (as in a nice restaurant, which could be awkward for some).

• Like 2

So, we finally made it up to Bei Gou village, near Mutianyu, and checked into our hotel around 3PM.  We walked around the village, and took a short hike up to a small pagoda on the top of a hill.  There are very few dining options in the village - the hotel told us of a small restaurant, but they close somewhere around 5-6PM, so we missed going there the first night as we got back from our hike a little too late... So we had dinner in the hotel that night.  During the week, the hotel is not very busy, but I hear that it is very busy on the weekends, when many people who live in Beijing come to relax there.  The restaurant's menu was a strange mix of things - from western dishes, to some Indian dishes (some of the employees are from India), and some regional ones.  The area around Mutianyu is known for a few things - they have orchards for chestnut, walnut and apricots - and there are some distilleries for the chestnut liquor.  We couldn't visit the distilleries, but I was able to get some shots of the orchards...

20160706_101406.jpg

20160706_101537.jpg

Chestnut

20160706_101453.jpg

20160706_101058.jpg

Walnut

20160706_103233.jpg

Apricot

Also growing in small plots all over the place were corn:

20160706_102827.jpg

I gather Bei Gou village is also a trout fishing village; I wasn't able to get any shots of it, but I did see an area that was penned off in a river.

Dinner that night was composed of:

20160704_195717.jpg

Jiaozi, served with soy sauce and chili oil

20160704_195709.jpg

Spiced chicken thigh

20160704_195731.jpg

Grilled trout

20160704_195713.jpg

Sauteed yu choi - this was very similar (if not exactly the same) as what I've been growing in my apartment!

• Like 7

Thanks, Kenneth. Yes, you HAVE definitely added to my wanderlust.

I am not that concerned about travelling alone per se (have done too much of that over the years however) or about feeling awkward in a restaurant if dining alone. What I do find though is that I rush through my meals (and often am rushed through even when I don't want that to be the case) when I dine solo. I also have less variety (and harder decisions as to what to order) to choose from (particularly during an Asian meal) when alone. I eat less and at a more leisurely pace when I am dining with others - better for both the soul and the waistline.

Eating, like drinking, for me should be a social affair, for different reasons though .. alone I eat too much (and too fast) and drink too little - and tend to go for the 'faster choices' as well. Street food however is a good option in Asia/SE Asia so I would definitely not starve over there and I would still eat well but I know I would miss out on many wonderful restaurant experiences there too (which you have pictured and described so well) if I do what I always do here.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

@DerynI completely understand, and am the same way... if by myself, I tend to eat much too quickly, rush through things and not enjoy them properly.  The nice thing about street food in Asia is that it is really cheap, so it's no big deal to order something and only eat a small bit of it, and move on to try the next thing - you still get to try everything, but don't have to gorge yourself to do it... and it's cheap enough so that even though you're wasting a lot of food, your pocketbook won't really notice.  Also, in the duck restaurants, you could order a half duck too, so it's always an option.

• Like 2

So, the next morning, we had breakfast at the hotel as it was included in our rate.  Again, mostly western options, but I was happy to see that some of those options were made in-house... also, this hotel prides itself on using locally grown produce, and grow some herbs and veggies onsite.  The tomatoes in the above post were bursting with flavor - I haven't had a tomato that flavorful since I grew them myself in my apartment a few years ago.

20160705_083546.jpg

House smoked sausage and bacon... the bacon was very lean, and super smoky.  Roasted potatoes.

20160705_083549.jpg

Bread and pastry basket with butter, house made apricot puree (not sweet enough to be a jam - plus it was refrigerated), and I believe some kind of chestnut spread...

20160705_084852.jpg

Smoked trout (served cold).  Very smoky, but the trout was very dry.

But who cares about breakfast when we're about to go here!!!

IMG_4932.JPG

There are a couple ways you can get up there from the parking lot... they have a cable car that goes up and down, a ski lift that goes up and then you take a toboggan down, and there is also a few hiking paths that you can take, which actually get you past the area where you have to buy an entrance ticket.  By my math though, I'd much rather pay 45 Yuan (about 7 dollars) per person for a ticket (plus about 80 Yuan for the cable car), than hike 2 hours up steep and rugged terrain, only to have to climb over the wall to get onto it!!!

We later realized this was a much better decision than we had even originally thought, seeing how hot, sweaty, dehydrated and exhausted we were by the end.

You have to purchase the entrance tickets at the visitor's center about a mile away from the parking area.  Our hotel provided a free shuttle to take us from the hotel to the center, and then up to the parking area.  Then, when we were finished, we could call them and they would send it back to pick us up.  Our driver gave some good advice - pick up some water at the visitor's center before going up to the wall...  What is 10 Yuan for 2 bottles of water at the center becomes a lot more up top!!!

So without further ado, I give you:

IMG_4946.JPG

IMG_4957.JPG

20160705_123639_HDR.jpg

20160705_120707_HDR.jpg

Who's that hot and sweaty person gripping the wall on the incredibly steep stairs for dear life?  Does he realize that he is mildly afraid of heights?  Yes... yes he does.  This is why it is not that practical to bring TONS of water with you - all it does is weigh you down and make you off balance, which can be tough when some of the areas are hard enough with just a small bag and camera!  It was also about 100degF that day with not a cloud in the sky (but it was slightly hazy).  So in areas when we didn't have to hold on to something for balance, we used our sun umbrellas which were lifesavers.

• Like 8

By the time we got back to the hotel, we were exhausted.... we had probably climbed hundreds of stairs and walked several miles, all in full sun and hot hot hot.  We were in no mood to wander around the village to find that local restaurant that may or may not be open.

So, back to the hotel restaurant it was...

We got the jiaozi again, and my wife, when tired, is saved by fried food.... so:

20160705_185434.jpg

Fish and Chips.

20160705_185451.jpg

This was mine... braised pork belly with chestnuts.  Very tasty - I don't think I've ever had anything exactly like it.  Yu choi in the background (the same as the night before).

• Like 11

@Fengyi This post is for you!!!

The next day, we woke up, had a fast breakfast, packed and got ready to return to Beijing...  We got back to the hotel and were treated to a room upgrade!

After checking in and dropping off the bags, we went around the corner to, you guessed it, a different mall, for another hotpot, this time at this place:

20160706_152807.jpg

HaiDiLao is an incredibly popular chain of hotpot restaurants - they are open 24 hours!!!  In fact, the staff at our hotel were very excited when we told them we were going there for lunch, as they like to go there late at night after their shift ends.  One of the staff even had a friend who was a waitress there, he tried to call her to tell her we were coming, but she wasn't working that day....  In any event, this place is known for their long waits during popular hours, and for great service.  The waits can be so long that they provide free snacks and drinks, shoulder massages, games and even free manicures!  Here's the waiting area (now empty, since it was around 2:30 in the afternoon - not a very popular time, but they were still pretty full)

20160706_152813.jpg

I didn't get a shot of the manicure station...

Where DongLaiShun is a very oldschool Mongolian hotpot restaurant, HaiDiLao is the Sichuan style, which means they have the spicy broth - but my wife is not such a fan of spicy food, so we got the half and half - half pork broth, half spicy pork broth:

20160706_141108.jpg

And look at this cutie... I mean the apron! haha...  Yes, HaiDiLao provides aprons for you to wear so you don't slop up your clothes while gorging yourself on hotpot...

Here's a shot of the sauce bar - sorry the doofus got in the way.... 

20160706_140317_HDR.jpg

They have a large area where they have sesame sauce, as well as tons of mix-ins - from green onion, to thai chili, to various dried spices, garlic.... etc etc... it was as large as a western "all you could eat salad bar" in the US but just had sauces, mix-ins, and pieces of cut fruit.

I think our waitress was a little nervous for us as she kept a very close eye on us and kept trying to cook our food for us.  I don't know if that's standard practice or not, but by this time, we are old hands at hotpot - this being our third time... (for those keeping score, one of those times was years ago in Singapore - our first hotpot experience, and the waitress took a lot of time at that place to show us what to do).

20160706_141846.jpg

Thinly sliced lamb.  Unlike the thinly sliced mutton at DongLaiShun, the lamb tended to fall apart a bit when being swished with chopsticks, so the better technique was to put a slice or 3 into the slotted spoon and then swish... still fun, but no losses to the bottom of the abyss.

20160706_142706.jpg

Thickly sliced mutton - very tender...

20160706_142711.jpg

Shrimp.  I grabbed the first one before the waitress anticipated and started swishing, shell completely intact, and then proceeded to deshell while practically burning my fingers off.  I also managed to suck the head, which was awesome.... but anyway, upon witnessing me singeing my fingers, the waitress rushed over, put on plastic gloves and proceeded to quickly shell the raw shrimp for us, leaving the head on... whoops - I didn't realize how much of a full service place this was!  Sometime around this point, the waitress also realized that we only had one dish of sauce for each of us, and she proceeded to go to the sauce bar and make us a few of her favorite recipes...  I'm not exactly sure what she put in one of them, but it was so much better than the one I made!!!

20160706_144603_HDR.jpg

20160706_142717.jpg

Veggie selection... we also got some oyster mushrooms, but I can't find the photo of them... oh well...

I also got some of this flower tea:

20160706_144529.jpg

Of course, no hot pot is complete without the noodles at the end.  Here, HaiDiLao really struts their stuff as they have a dedicated "noodle dancer".  This guy comes up to your table (looking all hip-hop!) with a tray of raw dough, and then proceeds to dance around pulling the dough into noodles for you... so freakin' cool....

20160706_150722_HDR.jpg

20160706_150713_HDR.jpg

20160706_150730_HDR.jpg

Not only fun, but delicious... great texture.

• Like 11

I love this hotpot meal! Sounds like your waitress was just trying to make sure you had a good time. I've been fussed over in shabu-shabu restaurants similarly.

It's not really hotpot season but I might make an exception again this weekend, weather dependent. :)

• Like 5

Don't get me wrong - I'm not faulting the service at all... I thought it was sweet that she was fussing over us so much - and I know that the only reason for it was that she wanted us to have the best experience possible... she succeeded!

• Like 5

On 11/07/2016 at 9:30 PM, KennethT said:

@Thanks for the CrepesWe were surprised as well... we had heard that donkey meat was popular, so we wanted to try it, but weren't really expecting to like it very much...  but in fact, it was really good.  The meat was lean and tender, and not gamey at all... if you hadn't told me it was donkey, I may have thought it was a lean cut of beef.  I was actually hoping for it to be a bit gamey-er so I'd know I was eating donkey...  and that bread was so good you could have basically put anything on it and it would have been tasty.

Donkey meat is my favourite. So tender, and yes, not at all gamey.

On 11/07/2016 at 10:17 PM, Deryn said:

Fascinating that you ended up at that Donkey chain ... Liuzhou recently posted a picture (can't find it or I would link it) from another of the very same restaurant chain (which I am not sure I realized till you mentioned it that it is a 'chain') and the sandwich he got (which looks pretty well identical to yours).

I think you mis-remember. I have never been to (or come across) that chain or eaten such a sandwich. I do eat donkey noodles often, but my favourite (independent) donkey noodle shop has just closed down. >:(

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 hours ago, KennethT said:

If you read some blogs or guidebooks, you might be tempted to believe that there is no bad Chinese food to be had in Beijing... you would be mistaken.

Indeed. Some of the worst food I have eaten in China was in Beijing.

1949, Duck de Chine is wonderful, though.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@KennethT,

I'm so glad your trip was such a success for the most part. Sorry about you airline experience. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with some of us who can only go there vicariously.

@liuzhou,

That is sad that your favorite local donkey noodle shop closed. I just hate it when my favorite spots either close or go to the devil.

@Deryn,

I don't think you are losing your mind about the donkey sandwich shop photo. I also has a sense of deja vu when I saw it, and my first suspect was @liuzhou. I can't find it after a pretty extensive search, and even went through Kenneth's thread were he was preparing for this trip, thinking someone recommended it. I cannot find it either, but either we're both losing it, or we saw it somewhere. The chances that I would run across it anywhere but right here are practically nil. Of course, it might be a similar sign in Chinese neither of us can read, I suspect, that made it pop into our minds. :)

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Donkey meat is my favourite. So tender, and yes, not at all gamey.

I think you mis-remember. I have never been to (or come across) that chain or eaten such a sandwich. I do eat donkey noodles often, but my favourite (independent) donkey noodle shop has just closed down. >:(

Oh dear .. I am sorry .. thought it was you, liuzhou. However, I am certain someone recently posted a picture of a donkey sandwich that looked almost the same as the one Kenneth posted. And a picture of the front of the restaurant too where he/she got that sandwich which was pretty obviously the same chain as well. Wish I knew who it was so I could give credit where credit is due .. but thanks for letting me know.

All that really matters is that the sandwiches looked amazing and at least 2 people now have confirmed they tasted as good as they looked. I would definitely go in and try one if I saw that restaurant sign.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

We didn't get to do much sightseeing after lunch, as we had plans to meet my wife's friend and her husband for dinner in a residential area pretty far away from the center of the city in the early evening.  We tried to see BeiHai Park quickly, but we underestimated how long it would take to get there, how big it was and how much there was to see once we got there!  I think the Beijing subway system is great... and I love how they x-ray your bags at every entrance, but if I had one gripe, it would be the lack of signs in English... I take that back - not a lack of signs, but a discontinuity...  The trains themselves have all the stations labeled in Chinese and English transliteration, and the computerized voice does Mandarin and English at each station... and just like in many countries we've seen (but not in NYC :( ) each exit is labeled A, B, C, etc. and there is a map showing the location of each exit.. There is also a sign with a list of streets or sights found at each exit.... but once you go through the gates and get to where the exit meets the street, all the signs in English disappear!  Even the map is only in Chinese at that point... so when you get to the exit, you don't know whether to walk left or right - so it takes a bit of trial and error (and some extra time).  I will also take this time to complain a bit about T-Mobile... ;) ..... They're the cell phone carrier we use in NY, and they have it set up that you get free data in 120 countries around the world - so you don't need to get a local SIM card when traveling... very convenient.. but they don't tell you how fast that data is!  In China, we were only getting 2G!  This makes most internet access all but impossible when out and about.  Like many people have said, you can't really access Google services with any reliability in China - but we got a VPN before we left, so it wasn't an issue - but the VPN slows you down a bit, so when on 2G, Google maps becomes basically useless... unlike the convenience we experienced in Saigon in December (even though I had to get a SIM card because Vietnam is not 1 out of 120).

Anyway..... end of rant...

My wife met a bunch of people relatively recently at a wine seminar, quite a few of whom were from China, and a few of them lived in Beijing... so it was really great to meet up with them while we were there - I had heard so much about each of them after the seminar, so I really enjoyed meeting them myself.  Plus, it was really cool to be taken around to sample some traditional Beijing dishes with some locals!

So this night, we had a food crawl of local places... baozi (steamed yeasted dumplings), chuan'r (grilled skewers), hand pulled noodles... awesome!

20160706_194802_HDR.jpg

Baozi on the left - a couple different kinds... on the right, sauteed pig's liver in some kind of thick sauce with tons of garlic.  In the beginning, our friends were hesitant to tell us what was in the murky brown bowl of "stuff" - but after convincing them that we wouldn't run screaming, they finally told us.  It was really tasty.

Then we went across the street to this place:

20160706_222042.jpg

It's a Xinjiang place - so they are Muslim, which is why you see the noodle puller with the hat... They specialize in chuan'r (grilled skewers of various kinds) and hand pulled noodles.

This place makes many different shapes of hand pulled noodles, from round (in different thicknesses) to flat (in various widths) and also a shape that was loosely translated as "rhombus"....  For each separate order, the puller has to prep the dough into the base shape:

20160706_201657.jpg

And then pulls:

20160706_201823.jpg

Here are 3 finished noodle soups (with 3 different shapes of noodles):

20160706_202508.jpg

One thing I saw here that I hadn't noticed before (but was probably there) - they dispense the plastic chopsticks from a machine about the size of a toaster oven that automatically sterilizes them!  Once I knew what to look for, I saw this machine all over the place...

20160706_202514.jpg

Various skewers... we got basically a few of everything... there was lamb, mutton, chicken, tripe, some kind of dough, kidney, and more I don't remember.. very tasty!

20160706_202517.jpg

Cucumber salad, pickled cabbage, wood ear fungus

20160706_202521.jpg

Xinjiang nan...

And, just in case that wasn't enough food, our friend ran out to a different restaurant on the same block and brought in these:

20160706_211116.jpg

She said the name of these translated to "doorknob" - and they were basically a fried pork soup dumpling.  Awesome - but they were incredibly hot when they arrived, and I was so excited, I nearly scalded my mouth as some of the soup squirted out when I bit into it!  It was fantastic.

Here's a shot of the grilling guy outside:

20160706_222026.jpg

All in all, a great night... the food and company!

• Like 13

Having just gone through a major hassle with Verizon (which ended up after 20 plus hours on the phone trying to sort this out that I have NO service for 3 months and am still paying for service) about phones that should but don't work outside the US, I found out that 2G is really JUST for voice (which is all I wanted but even that doesn't work here on the phone Verizon sold me though according to a local carrier it should work on 2G) ... and data won't work at all under 2G. So if you had limited but SOME data with 2G, I would call that amazing.

• Like 1

Immediately after breakfast the next morning, we made the decision to head out to the Lama Temple (or YongHeGong) which is the largest Tibetan buddhist temple outside of Tibet.  We decided to go there that morning because we didn't have that much time before we were meeting another of my wife's friends for lunch, who was meeting us at our hotel.  Since YongHeGong wasn't that far from a subway station on the same line as our hotel (also not far from the station) and we didn't have to change lines, we knew we could get there and back and have enough time to see it without being rushed.

I always like seeing Buddhist temples - they're very different from seeing western religious sites.  In the west, you can see a church or cathedral, but the buddhist temples are a whole complex - courtyards, various buildings, etc.

So we get to the exit of the YongHeGong station, and of course, don't know which way to walk - but this time, it was a bit easier... just a couple of sniffs and we knew...  it was the scent of incense.

Here's the gate at the entrance - very ornate as usual:

IMG_4984.JPG

Once inside the temple, we knew right away why we could smell it from several blocks away - this temple (unlike others we've seen in other countries) provides a free bundle of incense sticks with the admission price - and people had no problems seemingly lighting them all at once!  Once we got inside, it looked like a scene from a forest fire!

IMG_4988.JPG

This photo doesn't really even do it justice.. the whole courtyard was smoky!

There are several buildings with their own buddha statues, but by far the most impressive was the last one, with this HUGE statue 3 stories tall!

IMG_5010.JPG

So, here's a funny story regarding my wife's friend.  A few months ago, I was doing my research for the trip, and of course, the first place I look are any Beijing specific threads on eGullet.  Unforunately, there hadn't been any active posts in quite a few years (the Beijing Dining thread was started in 2003), but the last active poster was in 2009-2010...   This post:

and those around it were a great starting point to my research... one thing that stuck with me was the description of Quanjude peking duck, and how the only one worth going to now was in Science Park...

Anyway, we meet my wife's friend, and pretty soon I start getting the feeling that there's something familiar... She has such a great enthusiasm, and just the speech pattern alone get me thinking, and then, she mentioned something about the duck place in Science Park!  Immediately, I think "holy crap - what a coincidence!!!"

What are the odds that my wife would become friends with a woman from Beijing while in Verona, Italy, and that was the same person whose posts I had been reading on eGullet a few months later!

This was the start of a great day, and one of the highlights of the trip, for me.  We wound up spending the majority of the afternoon with her - she was so incredibly generous with her time, energy and boundless enthusiasm!

Here's the first place we went:

20160707_141800.jpg

They had a lot of Beijing specialties here... but this is my favorite - even though we didn't order it:

20160707_132449.jpg

Then again, maybe we did order the Fried Enema - as we got this plate of fried starch with dipping sauce:

20160707_133422.jpg

20160707_133302.jpg

This was lovingly referred to as "Beijing spaghetti" - hand pulled noodles with I think a bean paste sauce...  Mixed all together, it was awesome...

This was my wife's favorite:

20160707_133312.jpg

This is pieces of pancake that have been sliced and stir fried.  Absolutely delicious..

20160707_133558.jpg

Stir fried dough nuggets

20160707_133532.jpg

Knife-peeled noodles in soup

20160707_133307.jpg

Cucumber salad

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 10