• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

Heh. Yes, as Liuzhou said above, 炸灌肠 (or 炸灌腸 traditional) should really be "fried sausage". It might be even better to say "fried sweet potato starch sausage", as that is what it (usually) is made with. From poking around I gather it is an old Peking snack food, with some distinctive seasonings - and did indeed used to be made by stuffing the seasoned sweet potato starch into pig intestines, then cooking (e.g. by steaming) then the sausage sliced up and fried then served with that garlicky dipping sauce I presume you got. It seems the taste of the fried intestines was once supposed to be part of the flavor profile in the final dish. :-) But they dispensed w/ the intestine casing in more recent times and simply formed the starch/dough into the shape of a sausage.**

** As an aside, "腸" (Cantonese Jyutping coeng4/coeng2; but popularly transcribed as "cheong") is part of the name of several Chinese foodstuffs - "lap cheong", as a more familiar example to Western folks, literally means "waxed intestine" character-by-character but the compound term is understood to refer to those Chinese sausages of seasoned and cured meats in the shortish tubular-like "sausage" form. "Cheong fun", as another, literally means "intestine noodle/plaster/powder" character-by-character but the compound refers to those smooth-tasting/textured rice noodles usually seen as sheets of rice noodle, often rolled up into a tubular form. (Ditto "chee cheong fun", which is always rolled up) In all these cases the name plays upon the supposed resemblance of the food item to the round, tubular, longish form that intestines usually take. :-) 

ETA: I would caution English-speaking folks that whenever they see "cheong" it does not automatically mean "intestine", as various terms/characters in Chinese would also have the transliteration of "cheong" (in faux Cantonese), including instances with different tones, all of which can mean very different things.

huiray

huiray

Heh. Yes, as Liuzhou said above, 炸灌肠 (or 炸灌腸 traditional) should really be "fried sausage". It might be even better to say "fried sweet potato starch sausage", as that is what it (usually) is made with. From poking around I gather it is an old Peking snack food, with some distinctive seasonings - and did indeed used to be made by stuffing the seasoned sweet potato starch into pig intestines, then cooking (e.g. by steaming) then the sausage sliced up and fried then served with that garlicky dipping sauce I presume you got. It seems the taste of the fried intestines was once supposed to be part of the flavor profile in the final dish. :-) But they dispensed w/ the intestine casing in more recent times and simply formed the starch/dough into the shape of a sausage.**

** As an aside, "腸" (Cantonese Jyutping coeng4/coeng2; but popularly transcribed as "cheong") is part of the name of several Chinese foodstuffs - "lap cheong", as a more familiar example to Western folks, literally means "waxed intestine" character-by-character but the compound term is understood to refer to those Chinese sausages of seasoned and cured meats in the shortish tubular-like "sausage" form. "Cheong fun", as another, literally means "intestine noodle/plaster/powder" character-by-character but the compound refers to those smooth-tasting/textured rice noodles usually seen as sheets of rice noodle, often rolled up into a tubular form. (Ditto "chee cheong fun", which is always rolled up) In all these cases the name plays upon the supposed resemblance of the food item to the round, tubular, longish form that intestines usually take. :-) 

ETA: I would caution English-speaking folks that whenever they see "cheong" it does not automatically mean "intestine", as various terms/characters in Chinese would also have the transliteration of "cheong" (in faux Cantonese), including instances with different tones, which all can mean very different things.

huiray

huiray