• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

After lunch, we were walking through some hutongs to get to the next destination when we stopped here:

20160707_142208.jpg

Fongyee said that this place was a staple in Beijing, as it had been around forever...  we got

20160707_142411.jpg

Some kind of milk custard - it came in various flavors, but we got the plain one just to see what the base tasted like.

20160707_142350.jpg

This is a very refreshing drink on a hot day - a sweet and sour plum drink... it was so good, my wife and I would seek it out on the days following too.

Our next stop was here:

IMG_5014.JPG

This is the Confucius Temple - not a religious temple, but a place where students go where students can "pray to Confucius" so they can do well on their exams!  As both Fongyee and my wife have taken lots of exams recently, they can both relate to this place.  This is a great temple - it's very serene inside, and not crowded, and there is plenty of shade... a good place to relax and organize one's thoughts.

IMG_5021.JPG

There is also a great old Cypress tree that's over 700 years old

After our temple visit, we wandered through some more hutong looking for this tea house:

20160707_151457.jpg

This is a great little place amidst the maze of hutongs.  It's very peaceful, and they have an amazing set of teas....

We got an aged white tea:

20160707_152426.jpg

And a pu'erh that had been in an orage (maybe tangerine) peel...

20160707_152159.jpg

The owner of the tea place also provided us with a bunch of snacks (after that lunch and the custard, there was no room! my wife and I felt bad that we barely touched the snacks)

20160707_153029_HDR.jpg

Thank you @Fengyi for your immense hospitality and generosity, and for taking so much time from your very busy schedule to hang out with us.  Definitely one of the highlights of the trip!

KennethT

KennethT

After lunch, we were walking through some hutongs to get to the next destination when we stopped here:

20160707_142208.jpg

Fongyee said that this place was a staple in Beijing, as it had been around forever...  we got

20160707_142411.jpg

Some kind of milk custard - it came in various flavors, but we got the plain one just to see what the base tasted like.

20160707_142350.jpg

This is a very refreshing drink on a hot day - a sweet and sour plum drink... it was so good, my wife and I would seek it out on the days following too.

Our next stop was here:

IMG_5014.JPG

This is the Confucius Temple - not a religious temple, but a place where students go where students can "pray to Confucius" so they can do well on their exams!  As both Fongyee and my wife have taken lots of exams recently, they can both relate to this place.  This is a great temple - it's very serene inside, and not crowded, and there is plenty of shade... a good place to relax and organize one's thoughts.

IMG_5021.JPG

There is also a great old Cypress tree that's over 700 years old, which I posted in the Tree Topic, here:

After our temple visit, we wandered through some more hutong looking for this tea house:

20160707_151457.jpg

This is a great little place amidst the maze of hutongs.  It's very peaceful, and they have an amazing set of teas....

We got an aged white tea:

20160707_152426.jpg

And a pu'erh that had been in an orage (maybe tangerine) peel...

20160707_152159.jpg

The owner of the tea place also provided us with a bunch of snacks (after that lunch and the custard, there was no room! my wife and I felt bad that we barely touched the snacks)

20160707_153029_HDR.jpg

Thank you @Fengyi for your immense hospitality and generosity, and for taking so much time from your very busy schedule to hang out with us.  Definitely one of the highlights of the trip!