• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

1) Make tea.

2) Put steel-cut oats on to simmer.

3) Come browse eGullet while sipping my tea.

4) Think "Mmmm, smells like oatmeal cookies!" 

5) (penny drops)

• Like 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

image.jpeg

Tomato, salt, pepper on pumpernickel. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Because.......well.....it was time. 

• Like 16

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

the eggs above look to my like they might have been  " water poached "

properly done , and these seem to fill that Bill , as luxurious as an egg can be,

Yes.  Cooked stove top in salted water.   Terribly old-fashioned.xDxD

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

20 hours ago, HungryChris said:

The perceptive eye may discern that my supply of Crystal hot sauce has fallen precipitously low. Fear not, it's on my to-do list today.

HC

IMG_1960.JPG

Have you ever tried Chouloua chili lime hot sauce?  I have been known to do a shot of it straight up......

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Have you ever tried Chouloua chili lime hot sauce?  I have been known to do a shot of it straight up......

No, I have not, but I will look for it. Sometimes I think breakfast is just an excuse to have hot sauce.

On 9/26/2016 at 7:38 AM, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Three tiny slices of home-made seeded bread with home-made cultured butter. Just enough food to satisfy the requirement "take with food". 

I once pointed out to the gp I go to that I could hardly be expected to lose weight when  doctors are continually prescribing medicines and vitamin supplements that say "take with food".

• Like 5

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Leftover plum galette from Saturday. Pie for breakfast has always been an acceptable alternative at my house, especially when I lack the gumption to put on oatmeal. 

Sorry, no pic because I didn't think of it until afterwards (when I'd had some caffeine).

• Like 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On July 13, 2016 at 9:29 AM, scubadoo97 said:

My wife's most requested work day breakfast.  An egg roll up

image.jpeg

I know it's an old post, but any chance of a quick overview of ingredients and method? That looks super tasty.

My breakfast this morning was leftovers. Cottage pie from the other night topped with some of the gravy from last night's pot roast, which significantly improved the not-enough-sauce issue in the cottage pie. (The gravy was made from water and some red wine and a couple bay leaves cooked with the roast, which I then reduced a bit on the stove top before adding some extra salt, pepper, and a shot of low sodium soy sauce. Thickened with a slurry of corn starch as I wanted it to cling to the pot roast.)

The meat mixture in the cottage pie also has a better flavor in general having sat in the fridge overnight, so I think if I wanted to make The Ultimate Cottage Pie I might experiment with making the meat mixture the night before so the flavors have time to blend. Then heat, top with mashed potatoes, into the oven. I'm probably too lazy to actually try that, though, unless I do it sometime as a way of partly preparing dinner in advance. (Meat mix and potatoes in the freezer separately, to be combined and heated before serving. Benefit being you don't have to put it in the freezer in a large oven safe container.)

image.jpeg

• Like 9

Thanks.  Your Cottage pie sounds and looks delicious and I could absolutely eat that for breakfast.  

The egg roll up was pretty simple.  Just a fried egg on a flour tortilla with some diced tomatoes, sliced mini multicolored sweet peppers, romane  and a little cheese.   I used a cast iron comal which seems to stay on my range.  My secret to keeping it sealed while browning on the comal is to smear a thin film of  uncooked egg white on one edge of the tortilla before rolling. While browning this turns to food glue.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Thanks.  Your Cottage pie sounds and looks delicious and I could absolutely eat that for breakfast.  

The egg roll up was pretty simple.  Just a fried egg on a flour tortilla with some diced tomatoes, sliced mini multicolored sweet peppers, romane  and a little cheese.   I used a cast iron comal which seems to stay on my range.  My secret to keeping it sealed while browning on the comal is to smear a thin film of  uncooked egg white on one edge of the tortilla before rolling. While browning this turns to food glue.  

Did you under cook the egg a little from how you ultimately wanted it to allow for a bit more cooking while the whole thing was being browned? I'm definitely going to experiment with that idea, browning the tortilla makes it look much more appealing than other egg wraps and breakfast burritos, as does having some fresh vegetables included. My housemate likes some sliced avocado with ground chipotle or similar sprinkled over it with his eggs - I bet that would be a tasty addition also.