• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

I don't often make grilled cheese sandwiches, but when I do, I like them to be like this; with special cheesy-crown technique to encrust the lot in a crispy, cheesy petticoat of gruyere, to provide a nice textural contrast to the molten, gooey gruyere innards.

Behold: the glory of my cheese crown!! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Host's note: this luscious topic is continued from Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1).

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 25

Warm whole wheat croissant with butter and hot honey, fresh fruit and coffee:

IMG_3190.jpg

The NYT had a recent piece on Hot Honey Shrimp in which I learned that hot pepper infused honey is a thing that can be bought in a jar at the supermarket....or some supermarkets, anyway. I had no idea.  I'm out of shrimp but wanted to test out the flavors so I mixed up the honey, cayenne, freshly grated ginger and lime zest (omitting the garlic from the recipe for now) and used it to anoint my croissant.  Nice.  I'd intended to just mix up some hot honey but I'm such a sucker for lime and ginger that I had to throw them in, too.  Will try it with shrimp one of these days but in the meantime, it's plenty nice for breakfast.  

IMG_3192 (1).jpg 

Edited to add that next time I will try one of the hot honey recipes that use fresh chiles rather than the dried cayenne called for here.  This was certainly quick and easy but I think fresh chiles would give a better flavor.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add note on using fresh chiles (log)
  • Like 13

@blue_dolphin

""   I mixed up the honey, cayenne, freshly grated ginger and lime zest (omitting the garlic from the recipe for now) and used it to anoint my croissant.  Nice. ""

indeed nice.

I followed my father as he used to get honey  ( real honey ) in a can, I think 3 lbs or 5 lbs and it lasted forever.

Ill have to look into this.

or Ill discuss honey with my Buds at TJ's re the real deal.

i wish i knew where to get those Old Time Cans of the real deal honey.

• Like 2

We wanted something other than the usual eggs we always seem to have for breakfast...

IMG_6343.JPG

IMG_6345.JPG

Chelsea cherry tomatoes.  I used about 1/3 of the amount shown here.

IMG_6350.JPG

1 lemon cucumber -- it's an heirloom variety that tastes like a normal cucumber.

IMG_6353.JPG

1 shallot, minced and macerated in 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar along with a pinch of kosher salt.  Macerated for 5 minutes.

IMG_6357.JPG

3 tbsp. finely minced chives, oregano, mint and Italian parsley.

IMG_6359.JPG

Diced cherry tomatoes, Green Zebra heirloom tomatoes and lemon cucumber.  Added the shallots, red wine vinegar, herbs and 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil.  Seasoned with salt and black pepper.

IMG_6365.JPG

IMG_6375.JPG

Tomato and herb salad.

We served that with croissants, French butter and a couple of apricots.  

• Like 18

image.jpeg

It was just time. 

• Like 19

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Been meaning to try @tikidoc's cream scone recipe ever since she mentioned it in Kerry's 2012 blog.

Finally had some cream on hand that I had no other plans for and made some scones with bits of Jarlsberg cheese to serve along side of soft boiled eggs. Goodness these scones are dangerous to have on hand! :D

IMG_4465-creamSconeWithCheeseBreakfast.jpg

• Like 15

@curls, those scones are so good, aren't they? For a while I made one variation after another and brought them into work when I was being a nice boss and treating my peeps to breakfast.  So quick and easy to make and bake.

I will have to find an excuse to make them again.

@blue_dolphin, yes those scones are delicious and so easy to make! I think I'll be trying a few variations myself. Hope everyone at the office enjoys the extra goodies that will be coming their way! Also nice to have the recipe available for house guests - much easier than making waffles, pancakes, biscuits, french toast, etc..

• Like 1

IMG_6473.JPG

1/2 lb. zucchini, grated with a food processor blade, then squeezed dry with cheesecloth.

IMG_6475.JPG

Combine zucchini with:  1 egg, lightly beaten; 1/2 tsp. kosher salt; 2 tbsp. minced chives; freshly ground black pepper; 1/4 cup AP flour; 1/4 tsp. baking powder.  Mix well.

IMG_6490.JPG

Deep-fry in olive oil, or another oil of your choice.  I usually deep-fry with olive oil whenever possible.  Fry for 4-6 minutes on one side, then flip and fry for 4-6 minutes on the other side.  Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.

When the fritters are done, transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and place in a pre-heated 200 F oven for 10-15 minutes so that the fritters can crisp even more.

Recipe adapted from:  http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/zucchini_fritters/

IMG_6493.JPG

Zucchini fritters, Chelsea cherry tomato salsa, green salad with nasturtium flowers.

Good morning!

Edited by ProfessionalHobbit (log)
  • Like 13

image.jpeg

Simple two-egg mushroom omelette. 

• Like 17

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Cheese and bacon bits on a half of a toasted ciabatta roll. 

• Like 17

My 2004 eG Blog