• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

On 9/20/2016 at 2:00 AM, HungryChris said:

Having a pasticceria artigianale just a few doors down is both good and bad............but mostly good.

HC

P9200187.JPG

Pretty sure that's illegal in at least seven states, including the one in which I reside....

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Not terribly inspired but a perfectly adequate breakfast. Home-made strawberry-rhubarb jam and blue cheese. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Pork belly and sunny side up egg.  Showing off my square cast iron pan :x

image.jpg

Yum! I have the exact same skillet. Years and years ago, my MIL had bought what she had thought was a round skillet and had it shipped direct to me. I love it! It is my go to pan for cornbread.

• Like 4

IMG_9156.JPG

Clockwise from upper right: 4 zucchini, sliced into half-moons; 2 tbsp. chopped mint; 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced; 4 anchovy fillets; 1/4 cup capers.

IMG_9158.JPG

Warm olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add garlic. Fry until garlic turns off-white, then add anchovy to the pan. Anchovy will disintegrate and form a sauce. Add zucchini.

IMG_9161.JPG

Sauté zucchini for 10 minutes or until it starts to become tender. Season with salt and black pepper.

IMG_9166.JPG

Add capers. Cook for a few more minutes. Once you see that the zucchini has started to caramelize, stir in the mint. Taste for salt and pepper once more, then serve.

IMG_9173.JPG

IMG_9182.JPG

Zucchine con acciughe e capperi.

IMG_9212.JPG

Capesante all'arancia e cuori di lattuga ("scallops with orange juice and lettuce hearts").

• Like 11

image.jpeg

About as basic as it gets. Home made milk bread from a recipe by @Franci  and cultured butter which was a gift from @Kerry Beal.  Perhaps we could call it an eG sourced breakfast?

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Do you have a link for Franci's milk bread? Is it, by chance, the same as this one from the NYT Cooking section:

Head over to the Cuisinart Steam Oven topic.  You'll have to read a couple of posts to put together the ingredients and the cooking time And temperature. 

Edited to add

Nothing like the link you provided.

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Soft boiled egg and toast soldiers.  The soldiers were the last thing to cook in my Breville Smart Oven before it died. Unplugging it revealed a very corroded plug with slightly melted plastic on the plug end.  I am not sure if the issue originated with the oven or with the outlet, but needless to say the electrician will be paying a visit tomorrow.

sift boiled egg.jpg

• Like 14

We made some peperonata.

IMG_9296.JPG

Turkish sweet peppers. 

Core and thinly slice them. Also peel, trim and thinly slice one yellow onion and 4-5 garlic cloves.

IMG_9302.JPG

Warm olive oil in a pan over medium heat, add onion. Sauté for a few minutes, then add the garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 more minutes...

IMG_9304.JPG

...then add the peppers, a bay leaf, a little more salt and some black pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and fry until peppers are soft and tender, about 25-30 minutes.

IMG_9308.JPG

Taste for salt and pepper. Stir in 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar. Continue cooking until peppers begin to caramelize.

You can continue cooking them until they're browned, but I like them on the edge of browning. These could probably have gone on for a few more minutes, come to think of it. Remove from heat, cool and use as desired.

IMG_9311.JPG

We use this for anything ranging from sandwich condiments to a topping for pizza and pasta, to stuffed omelets and as an accompaniment with roast meats. It's also awesome by itself.

IMG_9315.JPG

IMG_9333.JPG

Scrambled eggs with peperonata.

Then, I started on dinner.

We're having lesso o allesso for dinner tonight, otherwise known as "boiled beef with carrots".  It sounds very plain, but I can assure you that it isn't. And the best part about it is the leftovers, for things like lesso rifatto con le cipolle ("boiled beef with onion") or lesso di manzo in insalata ("beef salad with oregano, parsley, oil and vinegar").

Recipe is from "My Kitchen in Rome" by Rachel Roddy, pages 179-182.

IMG_9280.JPG

Clockwise from lower right: 2 bay leaves; 7 black peppercorns; 2 large carrots; celery stalks with leaves; flat leaf parsley.

Flat-leaf parsley is the herb of champions at Casa Santos. We go through 1-2 bunches a week.

Peel and trim onions, peel and trim carrots. Chop celery into large pieces, about 2"-3" in length.

IMG_9282.JPG

Pristine 3 lb. beef brisket.

IMG_9288.JPG

Cover brisket with cold water in a large pot or pan, then bring to a boil. Skim off scum that rises to the surface.

IMG_9290.JPG

Add celery, parsley, one of the carrots and one of the onions, the bay leaves, peppercorns and a large pinch of kosher salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for 4 hours.

IMG_9295.JPG

Meanwhile, prepare 4-5 more carrots and 4-5 small onions by peeling and trimming them.

IMG_9297.JPG

To be continued....

• Like 10

Yesterday afternoon, I spotted this new Xiao Long Bao 小笼包 shop near my home and promised myself breakfast there this morning. It was a beautiful sunny morning and I chose to sit at one of the tables on the sidewalk. The "shop" next door with the red lettering on a yellow background is actually the entrance to my local cinema. The road leads to a residential compound inhabited by the local communist party workers.  This is of great benefit to me.

China suffers from a lot of power shortages and electricity is rationed. Each day, the local newspapers list those districts which will be powerless for much of the day (they usually turn it back on at lunch time and in the evening.

Of course, the Party people never suffer such indignities. And, living almost next door, I am on the same power loop as them! Anyway, that is an aside. Back to breakfast.

xlb shop.jpg

The buns (bāo 包) were, as usual, served in the bamboo steamer basket (lóng 笼) in which they were cooked. xiǎo 小 means 'small'.  The price for ten buns was ¥5 (75 cents US, 58 pence UK) which included a bowl of simple soup (which I declined) and a dip of your choice.

xlb dip.jpg

The buns weren't pretty at all. which loses them marks, but they tasted great. I think I have a new regular haunt. It was fairly busy when I visited (8:30am) , so I am hopeful that it will last.

xlb.JPG

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

Three tiny slices of home-made seeded bread with home-made cultured butter. Just enough food to satisfy the requirement "take with food". 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

I really wanted a bagel this morning and was thinking that smoked tuna plus some cream cheese would make a nice spread for a pumpernickel bagel but I was too lazy to go to the bagel place and made this instead.

Smoked tuna salad sandwich with yellow farmers market tomato, bread & butter pickles.

IMG_3781.jpg

• Like 10