• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

image.jpeg

I saved a few of the mushrooms from last night's mushroom stroganoff for breakfast this morning.  I reheated them, served them over some toast and dotted on the last of the blue cheese.

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I placed a grocery order very early this morning for delivery tomorrow morning. Among other things this means sorting out whatever is left in the fridge especially in the crisper drawers. I found a very sorry looking partial head of iceberg lettuce (I am always amazed at its shelf life but even it eventually succumbs) and some equally sorry looking scallions. I was about to bin them when I recalled being intrigued by a recipe for stir fried iceberg lettuce and so....image.jpeg

Thanks to Grace Young for the lettuce idea but the egg is mine... all mine.

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

ES@toast.jpg

no doubt Ive posted this somewhere here  .  this AM's version ;  EggSalad w green onion  on hot buttered sourdough toast

you get the Mayo just right  ( less rather than more )   its very tasty.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7

image.jpeg

The plan was a simple breakfast of sausages and scrambled eggs but as the morning segued into the afternoon...

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Rummaging in the fridge turned up a couple of hard boiled eggs and some hot dog buns in the freezer that are unlikely to see a hot dog anytime soon.   Inspired by @rotuts recent egg salad breakfasts, I did the same.

Egg salad with crisp bacon crumbles on a lightly toasted roll with some lovely backyard tomatoes from a friend:

IMG_3718.jpg

I remembered this egg salad recipe that called out blue cheese as the "secret ingredient" so there's a just a bit of blue cheese in there, too.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 11

I woke up HUNGRY so, inspired by @Kerry Beal's recent visit to our beautiful state, it was toasted English muffin, well cooked egg and sautéed thin bologna slices instead of Taylor pork role as I didn't have any.

Accented lightly with some ketchup and mayo. 

• Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Sunday breakfast of champions; chao tom, Vietnamese sugarcane prawns.

You make a paste of the prawns, garlic, white pepper and egg white and then shape it around fresh sugarcane sticks and steam them briefly to set and then crisp them to brown in a pan. Eaten with banh hoi steamed rice noodle mats, little crispy spring rolls I made out of some of the prawn paste and the banh hoi, lettuce, mint, coriander, shallot oil and nuoc cham dipping sauce.

Good for what ails ye.

IMG_8473.JPG

IMG_8474.JPG

• Like 20

5 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

Sunday breakfast of champions; chao tom, Vietnamese sugarcane prawns.

You make a paste of the prawns, garlic, white pepper and egg white and then shape it around fresh sugarcane sticks and steam them briefly to set and then crisp them to brown in a pan. Eaten with banh hoi steamed rice noodle mats, little crispy spring rolls I made out of some of the prawn paste and the banh hoi, lettuce, mint, coriander, shallot oil and nuoc cham dipping sauce.

Good for what ails ye.

IMG_8473.JPG

IMG_8474.JPG

I am totally in awe of someone who can get up and put this together for breakfast?!!?  I can barely crawl into the kitchen to put my tea on.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, sartoric said:

@rarerollingobject, you are a true genius.

Help me out please, I have a box of 10 live mud crabs arriving from Darwin this arvo. What would you do ?

Um, invite your good friend RRO to jump a plane to the GC and come help you eat them? :P

But seriously, I'd do some combination of classic chilli/black pepper/white pepper. Maybe a few of each kind, if it's manageable. I've made this white pepper crab recipe before and it was sooooo delicious. I did have scallop sauce in my pantry, but if you don't, I don't think it'd suffer too much. A splash of fish sauce is a good substitute. http://themeatmen.sg/recipe-chili-and-white-pepper-butter-crab/

Other than that - at that scale? Roast em or get a clean kettle drum and boil.

• Like 4

image.jpeg

Leftovers from a family birthday celebration last evening. We ordered in some Chinese food and for breakfast this morning I had an egg roll, some fried rice and some dry fried beans with pork.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog