• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

6 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Coulda used the CCO for the reheat, if you have one.

Nope, don't have one. Should have mentioned that I used a stainless steel mixing bowl to cover the food to keep the moisture in while the buns and burger reheated on the griddle. :D

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpeg

When a friend drops off some farm-fresh eggs............

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

No photo, but as I was still starving this morning, I stopped by a little diner after taking my grandson to pre-school (he had a McDonald's hash brown and a biscuit in the car on the way to school, which made me shudder, but carbs are about all the kid will eat!) and pigged out on a proper breakfast; bacon, over easy eggs atop hash browns, and a biscuit. Some orange juice and lots of coffee.

I feel refreshed and renewed. That hit the spot.

• Like 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@liuzhou

No apologies needed or as my Gran would say, "A bit of what you fancy does you good."

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Was supposed to be breakfast but an early morning visitor has pushed it so that it is probably going to be lunch also.   Sweet potato frittata/tortilla --  not sure I know the difference --  with some blue cheese. 

• Like 13

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Started the day with huevos rancheros.   Cooked down a can of diced tomatoes and chilies and fortified it with ground ancho, guajillo and morita chile powder.  Fried corn tortillas and dredged them in the sauce, topped with fried eggs and a side of  roasted corn relish and sliced avocados.  Great way to start the day

• Like 7

IMG_8940-001.JPG

Insalata di tonno e fagioli mirtillo rosso, adapted from "Mastering the Art of Italian Cuisine", pages 286-287.

Original recipe uses cannellini beans.  This version has some tonno sott'olio from last weekend's effort, plus some cooked cranberry beans instead of the cannellini beans.

The red onion was blanched for 1 minute in ice water to eliminate any "bite".  This is really simple and takes about 10 minutes to prep.

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

The red onion was blanched for 1 minute in ice water to eliminate any "bite".  

I see other people that say they blanch a red onion (or any other onion for that matter) and my question is why do you do that? If you don't like the flavor of the onion and don't use them. By blanching you are doing nothing but getting rid of the onion flavor. If you don't like onion flavor than don't use it or you something else. What am I missing here?

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

14 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Just the harsh bite  [...]

Yeah, it's a technique that Rick Bayless has advocated for a very long time. 

"Follow the lead of cook’s in Mexico everywhere who love to add raw onion to many dishes but don’t love the aftertaste: scoop chopped onion into a strainer and rinse well under cold water."

• Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

4 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Blanching also kills whatever in onion gives me agita

I routinely soak sliced / chopped red onion if the onion is harsh   plenty of onion flavor left

can't say where I first read about this  but there are plenty of explanations on the web :

http://www.thekitchn.com/take-the-bite-out-of-raw-onions-with-this-one-simple-step-61685

etc

the sulfur compounds are water soluble.

Ive read somewhere that restaurants also do this       the onions keep in the ice water and stay ' sweet ' for a while

image.jpeg

Egg and fried kielbasa.  

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

Got in unGodly late last night thanks to weather and AA not wanting to fly with a bird in the engine. Sheesh, that's why there's two engines, right?

A hearty breakfast was needed. Chorizo, cheddar and pico de gallo quesadilla (pre folding and cooking)

20160911_104947.jpg

• Like 14

Leftover penne with tonno sott'olio and tomato sauce, and leftover zucchini and basil soup.

And I began prep for tonight's dinner:

IMG_8942.JPG

The chicken was seasoned with a 1:1 mixture of kosher salt and black pepper, inside and out, then trussed and set atop a rack.  Coarsely diced Yukon Gold potatoes, carrots and celery underneath that were similarly seasoned and dressed with olive oil.  

The chicken will eventually roast at 450 for 1 hour, 20 minutes, after which a pan gravy will be made with some thyme and summer savory mixed in.

to be continued...

• Like 8