• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

23 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Home made ryebread lightly toasted, topped with homemade ricotta, lightly roasted peach slices and tajin (which is so far past its best before date that I binned it immediately after breakfast).  Credit goes to a number of people for the inspiration.  

I took your lead seeing a couple of Georgia peaches that were ready to be eaten on the counter.  

Thick slices of toasted Cuban bread with  slices of French feta topped with sliced peaches. 

Really was was a nice combo

• Like 4

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:35 PM, sartoric said:

Make the pierogi please !

Pierogis are not anything I grew up with and the first one I ever had that I liked, was at Neptune in the East Village in Manhattan and my interest was peaked. I tried the frozen Mrs. T's and found them lacking. Yesterday I gave making them a try. These are something I would like to make and freeze individually (IQF) and package in the freezer to have at the ready. The recipe I used called for 2 cups of flour, 2/3 cup of water, 1 beaten egg and a tsp of salt. The result was more of a batter than a dough and I struggled with it, adding flour throughout the process to make it workable. It also said to just set it aside to rest when working on making the filling, I think it should have been in the fridge, and will be, next time I make it. As a result, I feel the dough was overworked and the potato and cheese pierogi, when cooked (from frozen) was a little tough, but the flavor was good and, for the first attempt, not bad. Once I get the basic process down, I'll move on to other, more interesting fillings.

HC  

IMG_1828.JPG

Here is the dough, once I got it to a workable consistency by adding flour. I had to add more (repeatedly) once I started rolling it out.

IMG_1817.JPG

I used a large plastic cup as a cutter.

IMG_1822.JPG

A mixture of mashed potato, sharp cheddar cheese, finely diced sweated onion and garlic powder was used as filling.

IMG_1821.JPG

I spread them out on sizzle platters to individually quick freeze (IQF).

IMG_1826.JPG

Then bagged and put back in the freezer.

IMG_1827.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 12

@HungryChris

Perhaps have a look 

Here

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just baked almond croissant, fresh peach and black coffee:

IMG_3572.jpg

Some freezer rearranging yesterday revealed a couple of those TJ's pastries that thaw/proof overnight and for once, I remembered to set one out last night and popped it in the Cuisi steam oven to bake while I sorted recycling and wheeled out the trash bins.  

Coming back into the house to the aroma of fresh baked pastry and coffee was a treat!

• Like 16

So, I decided on oatmeal for breakfastl this morning. Perfect with a nice ripe peach to slice up.   When I got it out of the cupboard, I started thinking about the peach crisp for one that @Anna N posted over on the summer fruit cook-off thread, here and here.  

And....well....this is what happened next:

IMG_3585.jpg

You might call it a single serving peach crisp with heavy cream.  I'm calling it oatmeal with fruit.  And yes, with heavy cream to pour in. xD

• Like 10

On August 18, 2016 at 9:56 AM, robirdstx said:

After reading in the Dinner thread about cooking corn on the cob in the microwave while still in the husk, I had to try it. 

I did have one issue, in that my corn was already partially husked, so I wrapped it in a damp paper towel and laid it husked side down to protect the exposed kernals. After cooking the corn for the three minutes, I cut the bare minimum off the end of the ear and the husk and silk just pealed right off. 

image.jpeg

Microwave Corn On The Cob with butter, salt and pepper.

image.jpeg

Update: Was not sure where to post this, but I did another similar piece of corn in the micro but reduced the time to only 2 1/2 minutes. The kernals were better in that they had more bite, not so mushy as the one done at 3 minutes. The husk and silk still just pealed off.

• Like 6

Real fast food or food really fast?  Cereal for breakfast. Five minutes from fridge to plate. 

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Please let's not get pedantic as to whether corn on the cob qualifies as a cereal or not.:D

• Like 15

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Same as yesterday but with tomato butter.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

@demiglace

Well if not cereal then most certainly serial. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I've been feeling like I've lost my cooking mojo of late. So I woke up this morning and decided that the best way to truly feel like I'm getting back on my feet was to cook an unnecessarily complicated dinner-breakfast; highly-marbled wagyu, that I par froze, sliced thinly and rolled around enoki mushrooms, blanched asparagus and green onions, pan fried in a reduced glaze of sake, mirin, soy and sugar, on rice, with crispy lotus chips, ohitashi spinach (ground toasted sesame seeds, sesame oil, mirin and soy) and a couple kinds of homemade Japanese pickles (cucumber, ginger and sour plum fermented in honey.)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 26

image.jpg

Mark Bittman's tiny pancakes (these are mushroon and scallion) with leftover basil vinaigrette. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

We happened upon a Polish deli in Vernon, CT. in our travels yesterday. We bought a bit of the usual: stuffed cabbage, a few different pierogis and some kielbasa. This transaction was almost complete, when quarts of tripe soup started coming out of the kitchen and put on the counter to cool. They were being treated with such reverence, I knew I was going to have to try some.

My own attempt at pierogis, this morning and some of that Polish tripe soup. Deb  bravely tried my pierogis, but had no interest in the soup, which once I got a spoon, was outstanding!

HC

IMG_1877.JPG  

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 8

We will be using the leftovers from the last couple of night's dinners for dinner tonight, but I just had to have some of last night's pasta for breakfast this morning. Just a small bowl, gently reheated, with more butter and black pepper. :x

image.jpeg

• Like 12