• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

Initially, I sautéed zucchini with onions for breakfast in a stoic effort to use every last one of them, but now I find myself buying zucchini in the Sunday farmer's market to fill in while I wait for the second string plants to come on line.

HC

IMG_1751.JPG

IMG_1753.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 11

Baba Ghanoush  with some flour tortilla chips that I made in the CSO (really good---crisp on the outside, puffy in the middle).  My first time making Ghanoush (I think).  If I've made it before, I've blocked it out.  I like it!

P8151262.JPG

• Like 10

image.jpeg

Home-made rye bread slices. One slathered with a "healthy" amount of butter and some radishes and finished with Maldon salt. And because I am spoiled beyond all reason the other is adorned with Ossau Iraty cheese. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfast by candlelight. An electrical storm came through early this morning and knocked out the power in our portion of the neighborhood for 3 1/2 hours. We have an all electric kitchen so made a sandwich for breakfast - Peanut Butter and Miracle Whip on Whole Wheat - and washed it down with a diet coke.

image.jpeg

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Now, that's a new combo to me.  

Old combo from my childhood, but technically it should have been made with white Wonder bread! I've made it with mayo instead of the Miracle Whip before but the mayo doesn't have the same sweet taste as the Miracle Whip. Oh, and the peanut butter must be smooth, creamy Jif. :x

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Breakfast by candlelight. An electrical storm came through early this morning and knocked out the power in our portion of the neighborhood for 3 1/2 hours. We have an all electric kitchen so made a sandwich for breakfast - Peanut Butter and Miracle Whip on Whole Wheat - and washed it down with a diet coke.

I like the candlelight part xD!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I like the candlelight part xD!

Yeah we need a new button---Love the candlelight but the sandwich...what were you thinking?  

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/15/2016 at 7:20 AM, Shelby said:

Baba Ghanoush  with some flour tortilla chips that I made in the CSO (really good---crisp on the outside, puffy in the middle).  My first time making Ghanoush (I think).  If I've made it before, I've blocked it out.  I like it!

P8151262.JPG

Was the eggplant from your garden? I really like your serving bowl, very pretty and rustic at the same time. Did you make it, by chance? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Was the eggplant from your garden? I really like your serving bowl, very pretty and rustic at the same time. Did you make it, by chance? 

Yes I'm having a decent eggplant year.  I can finally branch out and make some things I've been wanting to try....especially since I have no tomatoes with which to make spag. sauce with (I love eggplant in that).

Thank you!  No, a potter in Colorado makes a lot of the pieces I use.  My mom buys them for me when she sees something she thinks I will like :).

• Like 5

breakfast at work (per usual during the week) so no photo...whole wheat bagel with Whole Foods Greek hummus and sliced NJ garden tomato from my coworker. He left a bag of them on the table in our office kitchen so I snagged a nice ripe Roma specimen (the small slices fit nicely lined up along the bagel's borders!). I love when he starts rolling in with the garden surplus.

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 13 August 2016 at 11:02 PM, HungryChris said:

Potato and cheese perogies with onion and sour cream. These were frozen. Fresh ones are hard to come by in these parts and it is only a matter of time before I try my hand at making them.

HC

IMG_1727.JPG

IMG_1726.JPG

Make the pierogi please !

• Like 1

you know its going to be that kind of day when the dishes racked in sink # 2 from the day before are still wet in the AM 

so  for breakfast :

Dr.P.jpg

didn't have an RC Cola  and a Moon Pie.   Rats

84 and 84   inside and out   7 AM.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

you know its going to be that kind of day when the dishes racked in sink # 2 from the day before are still wet in the AM 

so  for breakfast :

Dr.P.jpg

didn't have an RC Cola  and a Moon Pie.   Rats

84 and 84   inside and out   7 AM.

I love diet Dr. Pepper but hardly ever buy any. I'm sure the coffee is good too, as you have spoken about roasting your own beans.

Is it finally time to maybe turn the A/C on rotuts? I would be dying! 

> ^ . . ^ <

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

if you glance carefully the Dr.P is in the coffee cup

I thought it looked sort of bubbly xD!

It's been over 90 here during the day but the last 2 nights have been even cooler than usual.  Had my breakfast coffee HOT!

7 AM = 55

10 AM = 75

After reading in the Dinner thread about cooking corn on the cob in the microwave while still in the husk, I had to try it. 

I did have one issue, in that my corn was already partially husked, so I wrapped it in a damp paper towel and laid it husked side down to protect the exposed kernals. After cooking the corn for the three minutes, I cut the bare minimum off the end of the ear and the husk and silk just pealed right off. 

image.jpeg

Microwave Corn On The Cob with butter, salt and pepper.

image.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 6