• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

Sunny side up duck eggs, sautéed match stick zucchini and left over tomato salad. The zucchini only kept it's crunch for a short while and I thought I would not finish it, but once the yolks got mixed in with  the salt, pepper, garlic and tajin, they were like great noodles in a rich sauce and didn't stand a chance.

HC

IMG_1286.JPG

• Like 10

The Sweet potato "toast" is a Pinterest find. She sliced the potato thin--- like 1/4 inch or less,then set the toaster on high, and ran it through 2 cycles. I can't complain...it works.   I've also just cut one in half and nuked for 4 min.  Its a little more squishy, but, you can scoop it out and it holds a poached egg pretty well.   The BP thing kinda stinks, but, doc would rather try to cure it naturally rather than medicate it right away.   

I found sweet potato hash, with eggs , onions, peppers, and turkey sausage or turkey ham.  Apparently,. one can do alot with sweet potatoes....its just not really what you'd think of having for breakfast.   (I just made sweet potato fries, and dipped them in guacamole for a snack.)

• Like 4

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

8 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

No pics today. I forgot.    Doc put me on (what I consider to be) a highly restrictive diet...something about me internalizing stress and high BP. Who woulda thought?! 

So, no grains of any kind, no rice,  no legumes, no white  or red potatoes, no soy, absolutely no dairy- including butter, no sugar and sugar subs, etc.  So, in lieu of what a normal person would enjoy...like tomatoe sammies with Miracle Whip, and cheesy delicious things...I've improvised beyond what I thought I could. 

Sliced, "toasted" sweet potatoes, doused with ghee and Jane's Crazy Salt, and then I lop 2-3 poached eggs on top with more salt and ghee.  Kind of visually mediocre, but fairly tasty.  (I'm down 10 pounds in 2 weeks, so here's to hoping the BP is dropping too.)

...er...sorry to hear the news, and glad the diet seems to be working, but...how is ghee not dairy? Or are you just ignoring a restriction, as no doubt I would? ;)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

@rarerollingobject  

your eggs look delicious   

i would have never thought of this

how did you manage to split a soft-boiled egg w/o the yolks running out ?

They were gloopy, but I just sliced fast with my wide Chinese cleaver that I'd dipped in boiling water and dried, and turned the halves on their backs quickly and it worked OK. Maybe un-minty dental floss would work too or fine wire, the way you slice soft cheeses and things.

• Like 1

I'm eating a leftover popover split on the equator and toasted in the oven at 375 F for about 7 minutes until dry and crispy again. I took it out, topped with slices of medium cheddar, a little oregano and crushed red pepper. Edited: I put it back in the oven for a couple or three minutes to melt the cheese.

Seriously good. Not ghetto pizza. More like uptown toasties. I did buy some English muffins on the last grocery haul, though, so those are in the future too. I always called them ghetto pizza, but I like the eG moniker of toasties. It just sounds classier.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

Frittata with caramelized red onions, left over roasted cauliflower, red peppers, hot dogs, ham.  Unfortunately it got stuck in the pan but still tasted delicious.

image.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 9

@Ashen,

I want that sandwich and I just ate dinner. That is a thing of fantastic beauty!

What is Reaper Bacon? I Googled around including this site, but not much info came up. I did run across your photo of raw slices posted under the same screen name on thethehotpepper.com site. 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Just a little experiment I did while making some bacon.   I ran approx equal amounts of Smoke dried Carolina Reaper pods and black peppercorns through a grinder and then coated a piece of bacon cured pork belly and smoked with sugar maple . 

The end slices were almost as spicy as I wanted  but I will try just straight Reaper flake for the next batch I do. 

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I have the twin to your mug sitting on our bar but filled with pens  and pencils.  My view, while eating cold pizza for breakfast, was of our pond and a bunch of wood ducks.  Females are molting right now so they are just hanging around waiting for new feathers to grow.

• Like 6

A couple of recent breakfasts: One fancy and one not so fancy. Both good!

image.jpeg

Poached Egg on Crabcake with Hollandaise Sauce and Country Potatoes for brunch at Sunflower Cafe in Galveston.

image.jpeg

Peanut butter toast with butter. I love the small pats of unmelted butter under the peanut butter!

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 9

First course was this beautiful sunrise:

IMG_3331_large.jpg

The minute I took this photo, it started to rain.  I appreciate that it waited until the sun was up.

Second course was some plain yogurt with blueberries, raspberries, chia seeds and a bit of maple syrup to sweeten.  It got uglier as I stirred in each addition so no photo of that course :D!

Third course isn't all that photogenic either.  Leftover flatbread from last night's dinner out plus tomato, cuke and onion salad:

image.jpeg

The flatbread was billed as "Pan seared Cajun hangar steak, creamy garlic sauce, caramelized onions, blue cheese and fresh mozzarella."  I confess to eating most of the steak chunks in between the kitchen and the porch and it was very tasty.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 14

BLT on toasted white bread...side of Greek yoghurt with some raspberries and blackberries that had some white balsamic vinegar and honey on them.

@blue_dolphin  where on the lake are you?  Johnnybird leaves for North Hero Island next Thursday for a long weekend.  Needless to say no great food like you are posting...it's a bunch of guys and the food consists of beer, steak, beer, hot dogs, beer, hamburgers, beer, beer and beer for dessert.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

15 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

@blue_dolphin  where on the lake are you?  Johnnybird leaves for North Hero Island next Thursday for a long weekend. 

I'm on the NY side of the lake, south of Plattsburgh.  In my photo, you see the sun rising across the lake, over Grand Isle VT so North Hero would be not far out of the frame to the left.  It's a beautiful area, I hope Johnnybird enjoys his weekend.

20 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

..it's a bunch of guys and the food consists of beer, steak, beer, hot dogs, beer, hamburgers, beer, beer and beer for dessert.

I will confess that my first meal on arriving was a Michigan (local lingo for a hot dog with chili sauce) from Clare & Carl's and an ice cold Labatt's Blue.  Of course that wasn't for breakfast so I should post it in another thread xD!

• Like 3

I spent my year in the US as an exchange student in Port Henry and went to Willsboro High School. I thought your photos looked familiar!

(It was not a foodie experience - Essex County is one of those food deserts we were talking about and my host mother was a non-cook who didn't believe in vegetables. Sneaking out and buying and eating a bag of frozen French beans while they were at church was the saddest act of teenage rebellion ever! :) )

• Like 7

First cup of coffee with...image.jpeg

Folowed by....toasties!

image.jpeg

La Brea bakery semolina cheese bread, whole grain mustard, sautéed mushrooms and onion, cherry tomatoes and McCadam "Wicked Sharp" Adirondack Cheddar.

@Tere, my gracious! Whatever did you do to deserve the punishment of a year in Port Henry and Willsboro High School xD???  Honestly, the area is blessed with natural beauty but I suspect a teenaged visitor would find it rather lacking in excitement (and interesting food, as you pointed out.)

• Like 8