• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

6 hours ago, kayb said:

Y'all, don't be hatin' on peanut butter. In fact, if you want some primo peanut butter, try this kind. My personal favorite is the honey vanilla flavor.

Full disclosure: It's my kids' business. Still damn good peanut butter.

They didn't list the ingredients on the nutritional label for the traditional peanut butter.  What else is in there besides 

peanuts and salt?

24 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

They didn't list the ingredients on the nutritional label for the traditional peanut butter.  What else is in there besides 

peanuts and salt?

I wondered the same.

Is there added sugar?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

16 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

peanuts and salt?

That's it. No added sugar in the traditional. Not much in the honey vanilla. I'm not fond of the texture of the brown sugar cinnamon, and I don't like the dark chocolate at all. But I love the honey vanilla.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A pre-breakfast breakfast, for when your friend wants to meet up for brunch, but you're up at the crack of dawn anyway and can't wait that long to eat without getting severely hangry (I'm like a toddler-senior citizen nightmare hybrid).

I found these beautiful wild enoki mushrooms in a Korean grocer yesterday. Most enoki are snow white because they've been commercially cultivated away from light to make them longer and more delicate. Wild enoki are chestnut brown, stumpier, and come in wonderful other-worldly clumps, like a thousand bristling nipples.

Cooked with sweet white saikyo miso, a mix of dried porcini, chanterelles and wood ear mushrooms, mirin, sake, soy sauce and butter. On toast, and sprinkled with chilli flakes, thyme and gorgonzola cheese.

13582470_10154301688694122_1869140149_o.jpg

13555780_10154301688709122_930424905_o.jpg

13569850_10154301688689122_622641404_o.jpg

• Like 19

17 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Farmers market tomatoes on homemade bread with homemade pickles.

HC

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG

HungryChris, 

You're living in CT, but must have Southern ties. Perfectly ripe summer tomatoes sliced into white bread with just mayo is what I consider our summer signature sandwich. It sounds weird to those who have not experienced it, but it is so good. If the tomatoes are warmed from the sun, and just picked from the garden, even better.

I'm not at all against the more common BLT, but if you can get really good tomatoes, you might be surprised how good a simple 'mater sammich is. :) I like lots of kosher salt and black pepper on mine.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

51 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

HungryChris, 

You're living in CT, but must have Southern ties. Perfectly ripe summer tomatoes sliced into white bread with just mayo is what I consider our summer signature sandwich. It sounds weird to those who have not experienced it, but it is so good. If the tomatoes are warmed from the sun, and just picked from the garden, even better.

I'm not at all against the more common BLT, but if you can get really good tomatoes, you might be surprised how good a simple 'mater sammich is. :) I like lots of kosher salt and black pepper on mine.

TFTC, I have no southern ties, but share your enthusiasm for the 'mater sammich'. There are few days I celebrate during each calendar year, but one, most definitely, is "FTD", First Tomato Day, which is soon followed by "FTBLTD", which I think I can leave you to your own devices to figure out. "FTD" can have a few practice sessions, as exemplified by my recent post, with farmers market tomatoes, but can only be celebrated, in earnest, when the fruit in question comes from your own garden, unlike the much less stringent rules for "FCD", First Corn Day, which allows for native corn, but does require it to be good corn. "FTD" and "FCD" are days I look forward to each year and have since childhood, this year being no exception.

HC

• Like 4

So I went into the kitchen thinking to pick the meat off the last roasted chicken thighs and make a sandwich with avocado and tomato.  That's what I had for breakfast yesterday but didn't photograph.

Then decided to make the chicken into a salad.  While chopping the celery and onions, I thought maybe a pasta salad would be nice.  So I cooked the pasta and some eggs for deviled eggs to go with.  Everything is nicely chilling but not there yet so apparently that will be lunch.  

What about breakfast?    Hmmm.....how about some honey broiled nectarines?

IMG_3262.jpg

With homemade whole milk ricotta, on toast and not, drizzled with a little more hot honey:

IMG_3264.jpg

Edited to add:  after taking the photo, I went and added some of the sweet spicy walnuts I posted about yesterday.  Ahhhh.  The perfect complement!

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add walnuts (log)
  • Like 18

Oh @blue_dolphin I am drooooling. That just sounds like such a perfect combination of flavours and textures. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@blue_dolphin have you thought about mascarpone thinned with some of that hot honey on those roasted fruits?

I love apricots that I (used to) poach in champagne then fill the hole where the stone was with mascarpone that I tinned with some flavored honey....

ohhhh.... what about ricotta salata that is mashed up with some mint and honey?

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

27 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

@blue_dolphin have you thought about mascarpone thinned with some of that hot honey on those roasted fruits?

I love apricots that I (used to) poach in champagne then fill the hole where the stone was with mascarpone that I tinned with some flavored honey....

I bet the mascarpone (especially very nice mascarpone)  & hot honey would be delightful.   Although that freshly made ricotta is a lovely thing. I'm always looking for ways to use it and I might just give it an edge over some of the mediocre supermarket mascarpone I've gotten around here.

27 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

ohhhh.... what about ricotta salata that is mashed up with some mint and honey?

Oh yes -so many good ideas!   I was tempted to add some rosemary to the honey and lemon juice I brushed on the nectarines and sweeten the ricotta with honey but since I went into the kitchen after a quick chicken sandwich and ended up making a chicken pasta salad, deviled eggs and broiled nectarines, I figured I should just eat breakfast before it got to be lunchtime xD!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

@blue_dolphin

Not that there's anything wrong with all the suggestions but it's damned hard to improve on perfection.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@blue_dolphin

Not that there's anything wrong with all the suggestions but it's damned hard to improve on perfection.

you betca

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@blue_dolphin

Thank you.  It really was a treat. I could appreciate the flavor of each ingredient separately and the combination, too.

I'm always teased by photos of beautiful grilled stone fruits at this time of year but lacking a grill, I haven't been able to try my hand at them.  Cuisi steam oven to the rescue - obviously not a grill, but a way to get that caramelized fruit flavor without heating up the big oven so I'm looking forward to trying other variations too.

I had some leftover pizza dough that I portioned off and topped with sesame seeds on a little egg glaze to bake rolls as an experiment. I got an unexpected batch of duck eggs and this morning decided to try a sausage McDuckin thingie. As I did, I was thinking about those cooking shows where they give you a hard boiled egg, two marshmellows, some cinnamon gummy bears and a shaker of tajin and ask you to make a breakfast for the judges table. Boy, would I suck at that!

HC

IMG_1251.JPG

Seseme Rolls.png

IMG_1250.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 12

peaches n yogurt.JPG

I'm fortunate to live within an hour of several big peach orchards, so I enjoy peaches all summer long, from the cling peaches of early summer to the freestones that bear until early fall. I'm never without sliced peaches macerated in a little sugar in my refrigerator. This morning's breakfast was a couple of spoonfuls of them atop yogurt, sweetened with honey and stirred into granola.

• Like 14

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I might be sick, but I'm not too sick to experiment with brûléeing soft boiled eggs for breakfast; a perfect onsen tamago egg, sprinkled with smoked salt and a tiny pinch of white sugar, hit with a blowtorch for a few seconds.

Warm and smoky and toasty and molten eggy, with slight tones of salty caramel. 

image.jpeg

• Like 18

No pics today. I forgot.    Doc put me on (what I consider to be) a highly restrictive diet...something about me internalizing stress and high BP. Who woulda thought?! 

So, no grains of any kind, no rice,  no legumes, no white  or red potatoes, no soy, absolutely no dairy- including butter, no sugar and sugar subs, etc.  So, in lieu of what a normal person would enjoy...like tomatoe sammies with Miracle Whip, and cheesy delicious things...I've improvised beyond what I thought I could. 

Sliced, "toasted" sweet potatoes, doused with ghee and Jane's Crazy Salt, and then I lop 2-3 poached eggs on top with more salt and ghee.  Kind of visually mediocre, but fairly tasty.  (I'm down 10 pounds in 2 weeks, so here's to hoping the BP is dropping too.)

• Like 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

57 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

No pics today. I forgot.    Doc put me on (what I consider to be) a highly restrictive diet...something about me internalizing stress and high BP. Who woulda thought?! 

So, no grains of any kind, no rice,  no legumes, no white  or red potatoes, no soy, absolutely no dairy- including butter, no sugar and sugar subs, etc.  So, in lieu of what a normal person would enjoy...like tomatoe sammies with Miracle Whip, and cheesy delicious things...I've improvised beyond what I thought I could. 

Sliced, "toasted" sweet potatoes, doused with ghee and Jane's Crazy Salt, and then I lop 2-3 poached eggs on top with more salt and ghee.  Kind of visually mediocre, but fairly tasty.  (I'm down 10 pounds in 2 weeks, so here's to hoping the BP is dropping too.)

Oh man.  Great job on the diet!  I should do that, too.  Life right now is extremely stressful for us.  I took my BP the other day and I about fell over.  Hang in there and hopefully you'll be back to 'mater sammies soon.

Toasted sweet taters?  Sliced thin and then put in the oven?  

• Like 1